Health paper requirements to send stallion to Canada

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witts Mini Horse Ranch

Reaction score
Hi all long time no see. I have a question so I came here I knew I could get an answer here. My vet thinks there are a lot more health test that have to done on a stallion being shipped to Canada opposed to shipping a mare. He is guessing around 300 $ worth of test.

Is anyone familiar with this..seems outrageous. He is going to check into it but I figured I could get an answer here quicker.

Thank you in advance.

Nancy

I have bought both a stallion and a couple of mares from the states, at different times. The vet paperwork was the same for all.

Awesome...I hope my vet agrees he is one that has to have all the paperwork to the t. He is also the one taking them to Canada, he always makes the trip in the fall to work the Buffalo. Great news! Thank you!

One of our crossings was Buffalo. The others have been Detroit and Port HUron.

Like Minimor stated, the same for a stalion or a mare

Yes, not a big deal at all. A coggins within 6 months I believe and a health certificate done by a vet that is certified and on the books to do the international health cert., then that must be endorsed by a federal vet. The worst part is making sure the fedral vets office gets it, endorses (stamps it with the raised seal) them gets it backto you in time, best bet is to mak an appointment and take it yourself if possible. You need three or four copies of everything. The federal vet should provide you with all the copies needed of the health cert. and you make copies of the coggins& bill of sale. Someone chime in if I am missing something.

Sounds right to me, Carolyn.

State vet, federal vet, and that's it.

Laura Tennill was the last person who looked after paperwork for us to bring a horse across. Laura and Joe made the process look simple
default_yes.gif
What a nice experience.

I do remember when he took a filly he almost forgot to get the bill of sale. I think he did take it himself to the federal vet. I had forgot all that. My dear friend in Canada that is helping me out by taking as many of my horses as she can afford works in the office of the Buffalo refuge. Blessed to have a friend like her..

Thanks for all the info Carolyn..

Latest posts

Back