Hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackerjackjack

Reaction score
I feed my donks each two flakes of hay a day. I give them each one in the morning and one each in the evening. Is this the correct amount? They have very little grass this time of year. Is this pretty typical to feed them. Once in a while I will give them each a cup of sweet feed as a treat in the afternoon. If they get sweet feed once in a while, what is the amount that they should have and which is the best kind?
default_wacko.png
:

i feed my horse/ donks a round bale and they do ok when they get full they leave it grain i dont know about cause i dont feed it.

:eek: I think I probably feed mine too much 5-6 times a day, where they live with a full size horse, but I think they walk away when they are done. When the horse goes away to a clinic or something, they hardly eat anything, I think the horse gets most of the hay.

Max gets a small 1/2 cup of grain for breakfast and Emily gets 1 cup because she was underweight when she moved in, will cut that back soon!

I feed twice a day, and occasionally a treat of shredded carrots & tad of sweet feed in between. Mine will even gorge on hay if I let them, so I know I can't trust them to stop when they're full :eek:

Mine get a bucket (medium? size) of hay in the a.m. and one at night. We use big bales that I have to cut into with a hay saw (a pain, I might add... but anything for my babies you know
default_wub.png
: ) ... so this is kind of confusing when comparing to flakes of hay
default_wacko.png
: Also, they get their Youth feed w/ small amt of grain twice a day. These are 5 month old weanlings, so the feeding is probably somewhat different.

Oh, and when I give the sweet feed for a treat, they would get approximately 1/4 cup each or less. I think our sweet feed is an equine one, not the general livestock sweet feed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!! I think I overfeed mine too. My jack gets 1&1/2 flakes of hay twice a day and about 1/4 cup nutrena lite balance...my yearling jenny gets the same amount of hay and 1/2 cup of lite and my jennys with foals on them get 2 flakes of hay twice a day and 3/4 cup of lite balance. None have fat rolls at all...they come in at night and during the day they are out on pasture...but not a good pasture.

Becky

My Webpage

I know I overfeed mine....but oh my...they act like they are starved constantly
default_sad.png

Our Vet calls them "eating machines"
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back