hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionafarm

Reaction score
Can any one help? We are in Clayton Ohio, near Dayton. We have not had any rain all summer and therefore there is NO hay in the near vacinity. If anyone has any for sale please send a PM and we will try to figure out how we can get it here. Thanks for any help!!!

If you want to try & haul from as far away as Manitoba I can give you some phone numbers of people that have or may have hay for sale.

We live in Northwestern Ohio, about an hr SE of Telido and our hay guy is about 15 minutes from here, we just got another 100 bales for $1.75. He has i think 125 left at that price but im not sure if its spoken for yet? Its alfalfa/orchord grass mix, good stuff too and the horses will agree.

Just called our hay guy, his last 125bales are spoken for, Sorry
default_sad.png
. You really cannot beat that price though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Houston has been wet all year. There is lots of hay here. Get it before the growers ship it all out of state. Right now about $6.50 a bale which is down from 10.00-12.00 a bale last winter. We have finally had a dry week and the farmers are all bailing this weekend. It's kinda far for you, but maybe others closer need hay also. The prediction is this year it will be in high demand again.

Get a copy of Farm and Dairy weekly newspaper, they list all the hay auctions and current prices. We're north of you and have at least 3 weekly hay auctions,

krisp

Just keep calling around. Our regular hay guys didn't have enough so they gave me names and I just called around until I found enough. I got 50 at one place, 75 at another and so on. We usually go and get it throughout the year but I didn't want to take that chance this year so we did some rearranging and put it all in at once. Price was higher than in previous years and we did have to travel farther than before. I checked with a local farmer and he was selling his 2nd cutting for $9/bale at the local auctions so you might get a better price by trying to go to an individual.

Good luck!

Karen

I feel your pain - we had 2 years of drought, hay went through the roof when you could get it. This year we've had nothing but rain for most of the summer and it was doubtful for awhile whether it would dry long enough to cut hay. The sun has been out now for a couple of weeks, and they are baling like crazy. We picked up some in the field for $4 a bale - best I've seen in awhile both price and quality.

The problem is the cost of transport if you find it down here.

We were in Hawaii a couple of weeks ago - to put things in perspective, they pay a price for living in such a gorgeous place. Grass hay on Maui is $37 a bale!! :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

Jan

we could not find fescue free hay here for a couple of years so we use grass or alfalfa forrage or alfalfa pellets for our roughage. Thats all we could find that was standardized quality.

Lyn

During last couple of year's drought in this area I had trouble finding enough Bermuda - and found orchard grass hay pellets were a FANTASTIC way to get thru the drought.

The ones I found are produced by Standlee Hay Company. Nice small pellets that break/chew up easily. Nice thing about this -- I know EXACTLY how much my horses are eating, and exactly what it is made of. No weeds, no fescue. They irrigate their hay fields and when they want to cut/harvest - turn off the irrigation. Horses LOVED it and it made feeding very simple. I had some Bermuda so my horses were getting half of their ration as bermuda and half as orchard pellets.

Oh -- and another plus - they make hauling feed for a show REALLY simple!! I just pre-bag each horse's ration in a zip lock bag...a complete mix of their Platform plus Hay pellets.....just unzip, tip and I'm done.

The ones I found are produced by Standlee Hay Company. Nice small pellets that break/chew up easily. Nice thing about this -- I know EXACTLY how much my horses are eating, and exactly what it is made of. No weeds, no fescue. They irrigate their hay fields and when they want to cut/harvest - turn off the irrigation. Horses LOVED it and it made feeding very simple. I had some Bermuda so my horses were getting half of their ration as bermuda and half as orchard pellets.
Standlee if you can get it makes both grass and alfalfa pellets along with a mixed pellet, they also have the nicest cube I have dealt with in grass, alfalfa, and mixed. I think I paid around 8.00 per 50lbs for pellets and it seems the cubed was a bit less.

Latest posts

Back