Hay Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseyGurl22

Reaction score
Ok, so winter is coming and soon my lovely grassy paddocks will be dying off and I will need to suppliment my horses grazing with hay. These are my first horses (2 minis and 1 pregnant quarter horse) so I'm not sure exactly what type of hay is best and also how much to feed. I'm especially looking for answers from people who live in my area in Florida.

Also, as for storgage of hay. I don't have a barn yet and there is offically no more room in the garage (according to parents
rolleyes.gif
) so I need to know of the best way to store the hay outside. My idea was to use wood palats stacked up to keep the hay off the ground and then covering with tarp. Would this work?

bump

Even if you are not from Florida I would still like to hear what others feed their horses as far as hay goes.
smile.gif

Ok, I'm not from Florida, but can still tell you what works for me. You can also consult with your vet, as they will know what's available in your area and what your horses need.

My minis are all on grass hay (we feed mostly crested wheatgrass/brome mix - don't know what variety of grass hay would be available in FL) and a diet balancer (I use Progressive Nutrition grass balancer - Buckeye and Triple Crown both make one). How much fed depends on the age and size of the horse; all get pretty much free-choice grass hay. My weanling gets a little bit of alfalfa.

My full-size horses get an alfalfa/grass mix or straight grass hay plus salt block. Only my senior gelding gets anything extra; he's on senior and COB in addition to his hay.

When I had my AQHA and APHA mares bred, I kept them on basically the same diet as everyone else, until their last 2-3 months of pregnancy, then I added a commercial broodmare/foal mix to their hay ration (usually less than the bag said, as I could see feeding the amount they quoted); through the end of pregnancy and into lactation (one mare was feeding her foal too well and I had to cut her grain ration per the vet so her foal wouldn't get OCD, he had the start).

The usual calculations for feed per horse is 2-3% of their body weight per day with 1/2 or less being the grain or concentrate portion. So, if your quarter horse mare weighs 1000#, she would get 20-30 pounds feed per day depending on her needs (I have easy keepers, so the 2% works pretty good around here).

You will get as many different feed ideas as there are forum members. None are right or wrong, they are just what works for the people and horses in each situation.

The amount depends on the horse. My horses are on hay all year as they simply dont have the pasture to feed them.

I feed mine grass hay. I group them up in the winter. Two groups, one is the pregger girls/and the hard keepers the second is the open girls and my over weight gelding. The preggers always get more. THe diet horses get 2 flakes for the 3 horses. But we get really cold snowy winters.

I cant imagine you guys get to cold down there and wont need as much for that reason.

Florida gal here, too, though you didn't say what area you were from. Suffice it to say, however, that most hay obtainable in Florida is expensive, no matter what the type.

Depending on the age and work status of your minis, they may do better on a hay type that is entirely different than your pregnant QH mare. However, if you wanted to keep things simple, then I would choose T&A for all 3, preferably heavy on the Timothy and light on the Alfalfa. Once the mare gets into the later stages of her pregnancy, you could simply buy a bale of alfalfa and give her some extra, or feed alfalfa pellets, cubes or some other source of calcium and protein.

Personally I feed my minis about 1-2 lbs of a locally grown Tifton 44 which I prefer over our readily available coastal hay. Tifton 44 is a coastal hybrid which is generally a tad coarser than coastal (which can often be too fine-stranded for any horse( and has been developed to be more nutritious than coastal -- though that would depend on where and how it was grown, more than anything. To that 1-2 lbs of Tifton, I add a little straight alfalfa. My pasture pets get a handful; my young horses, broodmares, stallions and show horses get more (about 1/3rd of the total hay ration). I feed hay only once per day -- while they are in their stalls overnight -- because mine are all out on good pasture 6-8 hours a day (yes -- my show horses, too). Depending on where you are in Florida, your grass may tend to be "dormant" in the winter rather than freezing and dying. It will still have some nutritive value, but supplementing with hay is a good way to keep them from digging up the roots and destroying the plant itself. If you live in North Florida and your grass really does go to heck in a handbasket, putting out a good quality grass hay virtually free choice would be a good idea for all of your horses. Keeps them off the sand, away from your wood surfaces, or nibbling any questionable plants that might be hanging around your fence lines or pastures. Look for Tifton, straight timothy (get out your checkbook for that one!), or straight orchard grass (hard to find down here)as a free choice option. If the only grass hay available to you is coastal, look for a "coarser" variety that doesn't have endless strands that resemble the long runners of crabgrass.

Robin C

Latest posts

Back