Having puppies questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An update, usaually I'm in bed by this time of night, but she delivered a female tri colored around 6, right at feeding time, so I didn't help feed, took two hours for the second one, another tri female, breech, daughter had to deliver, big girl, not breathing, non responsive, thank God for all thos years I worked for a vet. I jumped in, and slung her, then gave her mouth to mouth, when she started to gasp I slung her again, and more mouth to mouth, plus lots of rubbing, now she is nursing and crying and normal. I've never dealt with corgies before and hope this is the last time, two hours between puppies is crazy, and she is still not done, as the vet said he felt six! OMG! It's going to be a long night! Needless to say my daughter is beside herself, and son-in-law is like a chicken with his head cut off! Guess I'm the only sane one here! Heaven help me! Wish all the pups were here so I can go to bed, but, I'm a Mom and MOMs will do what they do, protect each other, and help whenever. I'll update in the morning with pictures.

CONGRATS on the new girls that you delivered so far! Sooooo.....inquiring minds want to know...where did she whelp them??

Mona she is in the swimming pool! she has had three so far, two tri's and just delivered a sable female with a big white collar. No more contractions so far, but vet said he felt six, I really don't think so, but what do I know. Late night for us! Son-in-law is on watch now, and I'm on stand by. I always delivered my cockers once they started it went real quike, so this is all new to me. Thank God for all those years I worked for a vet or the second one wouldn't have made it. All so far are doing well. We have run out of clean newspaper, but what the heck, I have plenty of clean small blankets, and know not to use something like a guilt or comforter, as puppies will smother, we also have plenty of baby blankets. I hope I never have to go through this again, it's worse then mini mares! Thanks for all the support guys, I really appreciate it! I'll post pictures of the puppies tomorrow if she is finished by then, I have my doubts! This is the longest labor I've ever encountered.

Wow. She really is a slow whelper isn't she. Will keep fingers crossed for the little one. Is she nursing? Usually little ones catch up. If you haven't already, take her for a walk in the garden. That might move things along, if she's not finished yet. Put her on a lead though, just in case she goes off and hides somewhere, to have another. How is she doing? Does she look exhausted or ok?

Lizzie

Corgis are often very slow with lots of pauses. it sounds pretty typical so far. Congrats. Short cords with the dwarf gene so they very often need some stimulation...rough towel rubs and squeezing the fluid out. it could be a long night, although four in less than four hours is pretty good. Hang in. yes, it will be a long night. I thought the daughter had had a litter prior???

Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys, my computer is having a hissy fit! Hope it's completely over! She only delivered four, all females, all healthy, two tri's and two sable. Yes daughter did have a previous litter and it was a long one also. We did have to put alcohol on runts naval as it started bleeding this morning from Mom licking her to hard. I wanted to post pictures, but right now my cpmputer is not well, so I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for all your help!

Well it sounds as though everything has gone smoothly and well. I think four is a good number - and all little girls. How wonderful. Shall you be keeping any? Now I expect you have to dock tails and do dewclaws. Always expense with puppies isn't it. Do show pics when you can. My daughter has a Cardigan rescue and I travelled to dog shows for years, with a lady who bred Corgis. Lovely breeds.

Lizzie

Liz, I have two english bulldogs, one male and one female, she is spayed, but he is not fixed as he has a small trachea and we are afraid to have the surgery. She had an elongated palate so when she was spayed it was fixed. We had a bullmastiff many years ago they are wonderful as well, but don't live long enough. I also have a Jack Russel that I adopted, he is my snuggle bunny, and I swore I'd never own one, but don't regret it now.

Yes puppies need tail docks and dewclaws soon. Funny thing is we already had one home waiting for a male! It's ironic!

My computer is having issues with Window Photo, and my media center, I think I'm going to delete some unused junk and see if it helps the problem so I can post some new pictures of the little babies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had Pembroke Corgis since 1982 2 spayed females now Showed and bred some litter My mentor was an English woman who brought a nice tri bitch when she came to the US I would have had them in 1960 when I saw my first 1, but talked to Marjorie Butcher at a show (Cote De Neige Kennels) and she asked if I had heated and A C kennels NO)so I figured they must be hot house variety dogs-boy was I wrong.Love the breed and their little smiling faces and happy attitudes My mentor showed me how to do tails so you don't get stump.Easy at 3 days cut a thin rubber band and have a nother person hold puppy in palm of hand.You tie a very tight knot in band close to puppy's rear.Trim ends of band short and in about 3 -5 days tail will shrivel and fall off.It's like putting a rubber band on your finger or banding sheep tails.Wish I were closer-I would do if for you.Corgi puppies are the cutest-they play like kittens.I would love to have 1 but not right now.Many horse people have them -great on a farm and great with kids.

I love Bulldogs. My mother bred them in England, years ago. But the breed is fraught with problems I know. Worse these days. Did you hear what happened at Crufts? A Bulldog was excused from showing, since the vets considered him to have such a shortened face, that he could not breathe properly. And this was a very famous dog. Others were excused too. At least the English are trying to do something about the extremes in breeding today.

I also love Bull Mastiffs. Actually, I do love flat-faced dogs. I'll bet your JR keeps you hopping.

Lizzie

Forgot to add. Download ATF Cleaner. It's free on the net. Run it every day, if you use your computer a lot. It's a great little tool for getting rid of junk. When you open it, it will show a list of things. Click on each individually and then run the last one until is shows clear 4 times.

Lizzie

Congratulations, I think? I know you are so tired but you sure make a good grandpuppyma.

Thanks Vicki, actually I don't have a choice but to be a good gran ma to everything, it's in my nature, and I so appreciate all the help and good wishes that my LB family has given me.

WE lost the runt, Mom laid on her! She was my favorite and doing so well, as we all know the runts are such little fighters, but I guess it wasn't to be.

My daughter that owns the dogs had to move in with us, as they lost their home, and she is not doing well, she has a tumor on her pituary gland. Sometimes I can't even understand what she is tring to say, her speech is so slurred. Her hubby is in the union and has been laid off of work for 2 yrs. anyway he has a interview next Mon. I wish him luck, as he has moved up in the books. This breeding was not planned. My daughter used to show in conformation and agility, and we all know that the AKC doesn't allowed fixed animals, What a shame! They have a three yr. old son that let the female out with the male while she wasn't looking so hence a small number of pups. She had to go to the nuoligists, (I know I didn't spell that right) this morning, and after calling the vet yesterday, he wanted the pups and Mom in first thing this morning, so I volunteered. It's been along time since I had pups and so much I had forgotten, such as she should be on puppie food for the extra vitamins, and since there are now only three pups to rotate them on the mammary glands to keep her from having mastisis. They all had their tails docked and dew claws removed. I think it is a barbaric practice, and wish it was banned entirely for all breeds. Sorry it's just my opinion! Feel welcome to post your opinion on this as well! I mean really why can't they keep thier tails?

So sorry you lost the little one. I'm sure you are all very sad about that.

Your poor daughter too. Such a lot to deal with. I know what it's like to lose a home. Many years ago I lost my home. I lived in a lovely old neighbourhood, but gangs were quickly taking it over. They attacked us every night and we had to move in fear for our lives. We moved overnight, with help of friends. The gangs wanted our home and they got it. Welcome to Southern California. We had put everything we had and all our life savings, into that house, plus about $100,000 of upgrades. We not only lost our home, but our good credit too, since we obviously could not pay the mortgage on a home where it was impossible to live. I was just recovering from colon cancer and all that didn't help. I think I cried for months. Thank goodness my darling daughter (who owns Harlequin Farms) came to our rescue and gave us a place to live. I had a huge aviary of large exotic birds, which I had to sell immediately and also, many of our dogs. I had shown dogs all my life. I also had to sell my last horses. Financially, we never did recover. We were too old to start again. I had always been homesick for England and it all made me moreso. But my daughter and family are here, so I stayed. Losing one's home is a bitter pill to swallow. These days, with so many losing theirs, I know exactly how they feel. Give your daughter and son-in-law my best. They are still young, so have time to get their lives together again. Things will improve for all of you. And bless you Riverrose, for taking them in.

Lizzie

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the pup lost. Yes, maybe it was just meant to be.It sounds like your daughter and family are in a really rough situation, and I wish them all the best, bith medically and financially.

They all had their tails docked and dew claws removed. I think it is a barbaric practice, and wish it was banned entirely for all breeds. Sorry it's just my opinion! Feel welcome to post your opinion on this as well! I mean really why can't they keep thier tails?
I would NEVER remove dewclaws. It's their THUMB, for goodness sake! And unless your dogs are hunting dogs (still not a good excuse in my book- "they" say they can be torn off easily) there is NO reason to remove them. I also agree there is no reason to dock tails. My poor JRT was docked so short he has a stump. And I KNOW it bothered him as a puppy, he chewed the end constantly. Finally it must have stopped hurting, he stopped chewing it. He is also de-thumbed. He has trouble holding bones and stuff, unlike Finn, who has his thumbs.

It's only because of "style" that this is still done in the US. Britain stopped docking a long time ago. And cropping. And declawing.

The US needs to move into the 21st century.

Latest posts

Back