Having puppies questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
I haven't delivered puppies since the 80's, my daughter, her hubby and my granson moved in with us, as they lost their home. Her femal pembrooke corgi is expecting, today is day 63, we've been watching her since last Fri. she looks low and her belly is dragging the ground, all the milk supply looks like a go, and her hoo ha is swollen, She is nesting under their bed, not in her nesting box. They have gone to the Doctor, and I'm here keeping an eye on her. Just went in and checked on her, and no puppies yet, but I can see them moving on her right side. She is not restless, nor is she panting or whining, this is her second litter, she had the first one in 2008, so she has experience. Should I worry if I see puppy movement? The last litter I delivered was a cocker in show coat, so couldn't see any movement.

She might be seeing the under the bed as a whelping box. You say see is swollen "back there" so that is for sure a sign. How is her appetite? If she has little or no interest in food that is another sign. I can't say I have seen movement as a sign personally, but it does make sense that it could be... If you can take her temp that is key. Normal would be 99 - 101. When it falls below 99 she should be within 12 hrs, 97 watch out! Puppeeeeeeeeeez!

Thanks for the response! I've been coazing her out from under the bed with treats, daughter had to take her hubby to dr. with bad pain, or she wouldn't have left her. She is only eating a little, just nibbling, not the whole bowl. but she eats all I offer her as a treat. I've been keeping an eye on her, and yes I'll take her temp. Thanks you for responding. I guess the movement is nothing but movement, as she doesn't seem to be in destress.

Thanks for the response! I've been coazing her out from under the bed with treats, daughter had to take her hubby to dr. with bad pain, or she wouldn't have left her. She is only eating a little, just nibbling, not the whole bowl. but she eats all I offer her as a treat. I've been keeping an eye on her, and yes I'll take her temp. Thanks you for responding. I guess the movement is nothing but movement, as she doesn't seem to be in destress.

You are very welcome. Is she does start whelping just give her "her space." She should be fine but if you can position yourself close enough by just to make sure she manages ok.

Get her out of the bedroom and close the door.

Find a quiet room or somewhere away from the going's on in the house. Put a whelping box in there and fill it with lots of layers of newspapers. She will start nesting and tearing them up when it's time. Make sure nobody goes in with her during whelping, except the person she is closest to. Never allow visitors to come in to see the whelping or to handle pups after they are born. Visitors can unknowingly bring in diseases. Some bitches can also become very protective of puppies, around unfamiliar people. They can attack the person, or in the worst cases, try to eat their puppies to save them.

Have clean newspapers ready between each whelping, to replace soiled ones. Have a large plastic bag for soiled papers. Have a small box lined with a towel, to put puppies in while she is having the next one. Allow her to eat the afterbirth if she wishes to. Time the puppies. If there are obviously more puppies and she hasn't whelped the next one after about an hour and a half - time to go off to the vet. Have the vet's number on hand and let him/know of the possible whelping. He should have been seeing her during her pregnancy anyway.

Have on hand now..

Sterilised scissors to cut cord. You don't need to tie off the end. Cut it about 1 1/2" from the body. Bitches sometimes chew it off too close, if left to do it alone.

Clean towels to dry off the puppies.

A clock.

Notepad and pen to dot down the times of each pup's arrival.

Chair or bed for someone to be there 24/7 now.

Make sure you know how to deliver a breach puppy, but I presume since these people have bred before, they know all about that. Hope all goes well.

Lizzie

Exactly like Lizzie said. I have seen my dog deliver breach with no assistance from me, but no way could she have done it crouched under a bed. I thought she was pooping. She was actually delivering a pup rear first. She does not need an audience. Even though our dog is basically my husband's dog, when that time came in her past litters I was the midwife, so to speak, and he was not even present. She might mind him better but she trusts me.

Temperature?

Last edited by a moderator:
Corgis are a bit different than other dogs and can easily take many breaks for extended time between pups. Sometimes as much as three hours. If she is not in distress (trying to push and not producing anything) then let her be. If you are on FB there is a great group run by a repro author called Canine Reproduction, Fertility and Neonatal Challenges that always has people hanging out and answering questions as they come up. Also LOTS of articles on safe deliveries and issues with various breeds.

Sorry to keep ya'll waiting, we took turns sleeping last night, then horse chores this morning. Yesterday afternoon her temp was normal, now this morning it is 99.2, and she is grumpy! Still no signs of labor but it should be soon. Wish we could move her to the living room, but daughter has a three year old son, and wants to keep him away from the dog. He's the reason for the puppies, as he let her out with the male.
default_thud.gif

her temp will drop into the low 98s and may even drop twice. No worries. All will be fine. Sounds like either the boy or the girl dog need a little surgery. it will likely happen again with kids in the house.

I think they both are getting it after this litter. Daughter used to show them, but finances have been tough lately. although now she has tail docks and dew claws as an extra expence, not to mention all the more vet bills. No puppies yet, Son-In_Law blocked off the way under the bed and she started laying in the nesting box, but when I went to check on her, she mowed her way threw and was back under the bed.

Actually, she could have had the bitch spayed/aborted, immediately the tie was discovered. Too late now of course and lets hope all goes well. However, the bitch must be put somewhere away from the rest of the family. Have you a laundry room maybe? Maybe she could be put in a bathroom with her whelping box. When the puppies come, you will need to have her and the pups, in a secure area anyway. This especially when the little ones start to find their legs. You won't want them running and pooping all over the house. A baby gate would help to secure a safe area maybe. Or how about a very large puppy pen. You also won't want a three year old, handling the babies. Difficult situation I'm sure, for everyone, including the poor dog who must be stressed just by the move. Hopefully, the sire and dam have also had and passed their genetic health testing.

So many with animals, are losing their homes these days. It's all very sad and heartbreaking, for those who must actually give up their treasured pets.

Lizzie

That is why she is in the bedroom! That way she is away from all other pets and people except the ones that check on her. OMG! We must have twenty gates in this house, and two Ex pens, I have around ten dog crates for various sizes, just don't want to confine her in a crate while having pups. Vet says he feels six, we'll see. Daughter will take temp again soon, she's on the phone with the vet now, as it is day 63 and no action going on other then her nesting. Oh and being grumpy, but she is by herself. Thank you all for the advice, anything is helpful, and I'll keep you all updated, as it looks like another long night for us.

I tend to think I have upset you somewhat, but can only go by what you were saying in the first place. I have no idea how your home is set up. Just trying to think of things which might help.

Lizzie

No, you haven't upset me, I have a fairly large home but only one bathroom, we were the only ones in the family that would take her family in with the dogs! We gave them the living room, dining room, and kitchen, although I do cook most of the meals. I don't have any other room to spare for the dog. I also can't let her dogs in with my dogs as I have bullies, and they are not going to share, hence the name bully! HAHA! She also has the fenced in front yard for her dogs that has an enclosed porch with a fan, for her male, but he is elderly and needs to come in during the heat of the day. We have gates at every door, simply to keep the granson out of certain areas so that he is supervised in these areas. My hubby has his man cave that actually has a lock on the door. I do wish I had another room just for privacy for this bitch, but it is not possable, My son-in-law hung towels on rods around the nesting box and it worked for awhile, but now she pushed the boxes aside and went back under the day bed. He is now going to put an ex pen up at the bed so she has to use the nesting box. Also vet said not to worry since she's not showing any signs of labor, just nesting, daughter is going to take her temp again soon, so we can spend another night taking turns sleeping. I do appreciate the advice! Thank you,

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be alarmed about her being on day 63 and no puppies. 65 days is also VERY common, and will occassionally even go to 68. It is best to wait to have them go into labor on their own if possible, rather than inducing. Patience is the main thing. She'll have them when she's ready. :) What about a swimming pool (kiddies pool) with newspapers and bedding in it? Do you think she would use that if it were in the room?

OMG! Mona that is perfect, I have a swimming pool for my bullies! Great idea! Son in law just ran in here in a tissy, as she just strted panting, he blocked off the under the bed with an ex pen, so she has to be in the nesting box, but I'll have him disinfect the dogs pool, put in some shredded paper and the clothes she was using to nest under the bed. Thanks, great idea as it is gig enough for my bullies, should be big enough for her! VEt said not to worry about it.

Well it sounds as though you have a lot on your plate. Having puppies at the best of times is not easy, let alone having them in a new location. Plastic pools are wonderful as whelping 'boxes'. Easy to hose out and keep clean too. Whelping and puppies can be messy.

Lizzie

Sorry for responding late, been cutting up more newpaper, and son-in-law is power washing the dogs pool, new nesting box coming up, he's also going to put in the clothes she drug under the bed, oh well, whatever makes her happy. Thank you MOna so much for the pool suggestion, it's been so long since I've had puppies, I totally forgot about that! My guys are so spoiled, of course they have a pool!

Well I hope it works for her, and yes, adding the bedding she dragged under the bed will help too! Good Luck, and looking forward to seeing the results!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back