Have you seen any book based movies lately?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you rabbitsfizz, each book after clan of the cave bear was a bit less appealing than the one before but yes, I read every one of them because i so like the characters. By the time I had finished with The land of Painted Caves I was done with the story. Had nothing to do with sex, just felt like the story went no where and it took a long time to get there.

Read "cloud atlas" a while back, and watched the movie on a plane last week - twice. Liked the book better (as usual) but the movie was not too bad. Don't know if the movie would have been understandable without reading the book?

Never really read the Frank Oz books, but always loved the "Wizard of Oz" of old. Just saw "Oz, the Great and Powerful" and we enjoyed we-probably should have seen it in IMAX 3D though (but those goofy glassed make my eyes feel funny after a while). Wanted to see Les Miserables, but knew hubby wouldn't enjoy it that much (not much for musicals) so we skipped it (going to the movies a few times a month is one of our treats). Don't know if a book was written-probably a nonfiction has been-but enjoyed "Catch Me if You Can" with Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks a few years back-I (not hubby) was surprised at the end to find out it was a true story-very interesting, funny, serious and enjoyable.

I have The Perks of Being a Wallflower on our Netflix queue; I can't wait to see it (though I've not read the book)!
default_aktion033.gif

Not a movie, but the Legend of the Seeker TV series was based on Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" books. Some of the writing for the TV series was a little cheesy/awkward but I still enjoyed it immensely...I'm still sad that it only ran 2 seasons. I couldn't imagine any other actress playing Kahlan; Bridget Regan is awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I watched The Host today.

If you've read the book, DON'T go see it! It was absolutely terrible....I knew I shouldn't have watched it, but I just couldn't help it. Sorely disappointed.

I've heard that it is bad. Hmmm...I wonder if I'd like it? I haven't read the book, so I have no expectations for it. To me, the book doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in reading. But I tend to like more alien-type movies than novels.

The book is fantastic, the movie is just plain awful. It really is not the type of "alien book" that you are thinking, I promise. I think even without having read the book that the movie would be bad. The book is really based around conflict between two people sharing the same mind and it is extremely hard to portray that in a movie. The feelings (and dialogue) just aren't there. I think because it's Stephanie Meyer, they tried way too hard to make it appeal to teenagers. It was worse than Twilight. It's one of my favorite books, so I'm just a bit disappointed, as you can tell
default_laugh.png

Hey, my fellow reading ladies...

I finished reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and I'd say watch the movie vs. reading the book, and that's rarely how I feel. I really liked and cared about the main characters, but hadn't really read much about it before I read it and I hadn't been expecting some of it to unfold as it did. I thought it was very depressing, and I don't like reading those kinds of books. It dealt with addiction, being an outsider, and molestation, from a couple angles, but one I didn't see coming and just made me really feel sick. The addiction and "outsiderness" were not too bad, but the molestation angle just puts a knot in my stomach, especially the "where" of it in this book (as if any "where" would be anything but upsetting). I think it's a powerful book, but I really just read to be entertained, and "sad" books get to me. I'd rather not have read this one to be honest, though I think the author is very gifted and it was well written.

I probably should look harder at the book descriptions before I dive in to a book. I thought this was just about quirky kids from about when I was a teenager, but it wasn't at all just that kind of a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up Jill. I also don't care for depressing books, so I think I'll remove it from my wishlist. I do want to watch the movie, but I think I'll wait until it comes on Showtime.

I just watched the movie The Perks of Being a Wallflower and found it both touching and powerful. I believe the book's author also wrote the screenplay so I imagine it captures the spirit of the book pretty well. I doubt that I will ever read the book as it doesn't sound like "my kind of book," but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie (though it did make me cry a couple times!).

It's been a LONG time that I aged the DVD of Warm Bodies. It's one of a few books I quit, but I think if I were in a different mood, I'd have enjoyed it. H and I watched the movie last night, and we did like it a lot! I might have quit the book thinking it couldn't end well and was in the mood for a happy ending. The movie was good and I think now that I shouldn't have quit the book.

Not sure I will watch The Perks of Being a Wallflower, though. I did read that book to the end and it was too sad for me. The movie preview did look good (it was on the Warm Bodies DVD), but the book sort of gave me a stomach ache
default_sad.png
Too many sad things.

I listened to the audiobook for Warm Bodies, and I have to admit the first time I started it, I thought it was too odd and stopped pretty quickly. The second time I kept going and I did enjoy it to the end, it is different from the movie (which I also enjoyed a lot). I do think the books are going to be a series, if I remember correctly it didn't end completely. The only other zombie books I have read are the Pride & Prejudice and zombies, so I don't have a lot to compare.

The other book & movie I really enjoyed was Silver Linings Playbook, I liked them both a lot.

My husband and I enjoyed the Hunger Games and Jennifer Lawrence (I think that's right?). We are looking forward to the next sequel that's coming out this month. We read the rest of the series and liked the books. Even if the movies are changed a little they will probably still be enjoyable.

I did see Silver Linings Playbook with Jennifer too. She is a good actress.

Latest posts

Back