Has anyone used one of these??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHARLOTTE & JOHN

Reaction score
We got it at an auction. They called it a pony trainer. We painted it John Deere Green and Yellow, and put new chains on it. We introduced some of the minis to it today. Here are a few pictures. We kept the first time use down to a few minutes, just a start to get them used to it.

SMALL04.jpg

SMALL02.jpg

SMALL03.jpg

SMALL05.jpg

What a way to exercise everyone at once!!! I need one of those!!!
default_smile.png

Hi Charlotte,

Pony Trainer, Pony Merry-Go-Round, Pony Carousel, all the same meaning for the same use...

Remember those Pony Rides at the County Fairs and State Fairs? You now own one of them. This is the unit that they hitched the Shetland Pony to all saddled and ready for a child to ride. You still see them every now and then but not as much as we use to back in our youth (those folks that are 50+).

Your's looks in great shape! Enjoy.

Karen

I have seen them at fairs with the kids riding the ponies, and parents walking with them in some cases.

It's a good idea for exercising your horses and also to get the young ones used to walking right along I would imagine.

However when I see it at the fairs and the horses looking rather bored and "dumpy" it makes me sad, but if it was just a means to exercise and not a case where the horse is walking all day long it is probably a great idea.

that would have made my life alot easyer if i had one of those when i was working at a stable giving pony rides

I have always heard them referred to (by my friends that have them) as a "pony sweep" and yes they are generally used for the "pony ride" businesses.

You should have fairly well-trained ponies, usually you put a newer one on with the rest seasoned ponies... if they all panic and run there's not much you can do to slow them down, they don't have a motor like a hotwalker does.

Andrea

I saw one of these at the fair a few weeks ago. They had the horses hooked up so their noses were behind the bar instead of their head over the bar like in your pictures. I'm not sure which way is correct.

I love your choice of colors!!

Since it is not a hot walker (not powered), the mini's have to push the bars around, so John thought it would be better to have them push it with their chest instead of their head.

With the minis having to push it around it should be better exercise for them and we hope it will be good for when we start them being trained for cart pulling.

The pony sweep is in great condition. I would like one but like Disneyhorse mentioned if a couple horses panick and triy to bolt it can be very hard to get the rest under control as the wild ones will then push/drag everyone else around with him at their speed.

Great way to exercise with supervision ,looks like you lucked out and got a great buy!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, supervision is a must!! That is why John is only putting one horse on the trainer at a time to begin with, and they are still on a lead with John right there. Also the hooks he used to attach the chains to the bar are such that if the horse panics and pulls away the hooks will give and the horse gets released from the bar. Daisy Mae already tested this. The picture below shows a hook the way it started out the other one after she decided she did not like the bar. She was the first one that got a try at it.

HOOKS.jpg

Each one has had a try at it once. Most of them made at least one trip around the circle. This is something we will take a step at a time.

Charlotte and John, I love your new mini exerciser..but I really have to say how much I love your posts. First the nice new horses... neat little barn..then getting them trained to drive....your own "love story" of how you 2 came together again!! I just think its awesome that you both seem to love, love, love your new 4 legged grand kids!! I know anyone would be thrilled to have a couple like you and John purchase horses from them!! Keep the posts, stories and pictures coming!! Heidi

While I understand the pushing with the chest rather than the head, it looks like the minis are pushing with their throats. Ouch!

Yes, I agree... the ponies on a sweep are not meant to be "pushing" or pulling or anything... just tied. Ideally the ponies don't panic and if one does the rest of them hold it back on their leadropes.

P1010084.JPG

I google'd the image above, you can see the handler even has one of the sweep's arms.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back