Halters under headstalls good or bad?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
Someone that use to train showed me a trick of putting a thin nylon halter under the headstall while training for the purpose of tying a lead rope driectly to the halter and not tying a horse by the reins. The halter did not interfere with the function of the headstall. They used it as a safety measure and stated it had helped them on more than one occasion.

Does anyone else do this? If so for what reasons?

Yes, I do this to start my horses, for just the reasons you listed. I know drivers, especially ones that trail drive a lot, that leave the halters on under the bridles. It might be a trick with a mini to not have it interfere with the caveson/noseband, or bit, but it can be done. There is only so much room on a mini head.

NEVER tie a horse by the reins! Never tie a horse while it is put to the cart. Always take the cart off the horse before you tie it up and take off the bridle.

Myrna

Well, I tie the horse up to be hitched at CDE's (I'm usually by myself) but once that cart is on I stay RIGHT THERE and the cart only goes on when I'm otherwise ready to go. Also this is a finished horse who knows how to stand quietly; I'm not sure I'd do the same thing with a wiggly silly green horse.

But NEVER, [SIZE=14pt]NEVER[/SIZE] [SIZE=18pt]NEVER[/SIZE] tie a horse by its reins!!! Ridden or driven, this is a disaster waiting to happen and you could damage the horse's mouth severely.

I use a neck collar or a halter around the neck for that temporary tie-up at a show and if I'm trail driving would either leave the halter on under the bridle as you've suggested (I have a thin cheap one with skinny buckles I use for this) or I have a gullet strap with tie ring that puts the pressure of pulling back on the throatlatch and cavesson instead of the bit. Many people I know use rope halters under their bridles as they are much easier to fit under there than a traditional adjustable mini halter with all those buckles and thick nylon straps.

As for why? Well, it's easier when harnessing and unharnessing the horse (i.e. tying them up after the cart is off), it means there's no period of time where the bridle is off and the halter isn't on that the horse could bolt, and most importantly if something should happen on the trail you have a way to lead the horse home. I can tell you from recent experience that it is REALLY frustrating to have a wreck in the middle of nowhere, you and the horse both injured, and be trying to lead the horse home by the long driving reins!
default_rolleyes.gif
I ended up having to ground-drive home because she couldn't figure out how to lead next to me with the odd sideways pressure on her bit and kept running into my injured leg. I would have killed for a halter!

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I tie the horse up to be hitched at CDE's (I'm usually by myself) but once that cart is on I stay RIGHT THERE and the cart only goes on when I'm otherwise ready to go. Also this is a finished horse who knows how to stand quietly; I'm not sure I'd do the same thing with a wiggly silly green horse.
I agree, but I have seen especially novice drivers tie the hitched horse up to the trailer, just like a saddled horse, and walk away.
default_no.gif
These seem to be the same people who also pull the bridle off while the horse is tied to the trailer and still put to the vehicle.
default_new_shocked.gif
Never take the bridle off a horse that is put to!!!! In a show, it's a good way to get you sent home!

Myrna

I do not use a halter under my bridle, but have several halters that adjust over the nose, so they can go on OVER the bridle while hitching, as I must do this alone. After a horse is hitched, it is never tied...ever.

I use a tighter fitting leather halter...it fits better under my minis bridle for when I go out on the trails, as a just in case I need to unhitch and tie him also I can tie him to the trailer....not with the cart but while I'm harnessing him, it's easier for me to put his bridle on him....he has a tendency to try and eat grass.

I also do it with my other mini who is learning to long-line and drive, for him I attach a lead rope cause if he should have any issue I'd rather not be yanking on his mouth.

Latest posts

Back