Hair growth products for Mane/tail

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
I've checked every TSC and local tack store as well as some online tack stores that i know of and i cannot find any hair growth products anywhere. One of my geldings pulled out a 1'' section of his mane in July and my Foundation shetland has a very thin tail because he rubbed the top off last season. What are some brands/products i can put on the mane/tail to promote fast growth? Both are on my show string for 07' and i kept putting off asking and now i have 5 months left lol. I'm also considering ordering this tail protector wrap that goes around the top of the tail so he cannot rub it off to use when he is in his stall. I want something i can rub in, i googled it and i found things i could add to the feed but i know their are products out their like lotions or gells that promote hair growth and want to go that way.

Next question/situation
default_smile.png
. Chief has managed to get a frizzy forlock. I've tried putting baby oil gel on it once or twice a week and slicking it down. It has become frizzy though. I seen the Hot Oil treatment on Ozark, do you think that would help his forlock? Any other products you think would help. His forelock has been thinned/trimmed bc he shows so its not full and poofy, it was perfect but a few weeks ago i noticed how frizzy it has gotten.

I'm just in a shopping mood all of a sudden, xmas money is burning a whole on my pocket :lol:
default_smile.png

Thank you

I've checked every TSC and local tack store as well as some online tack stores that i know of and i cannot find any hair growth products anywhere. One of my geldings pulled out a 1'' section of his mane in July and my Foundation shetland has a very thin tail because he rubbed the top off last season. What are some brands/products i can put on the mane/tail to promote fast growth? Both are on my show string for 07' and i kept putting off asking and now i have 5 months left lol. I'm also considering ordering this tail protector wrap that goes around the top of the tail so he cannot rub it off to use when he is in his stall. I want something i can rub in, i googled it and i found things i could add to the feed but i know their are products out their like lotions or gells that promote hair growth and want to go that way.

Next question/situation
default_smile.png
. Chief has managed to get a frizzy forlock. I've tried putting baby oil gel on it once or twice a week and slicking it down. It has become frizzy though. I seen the Hot Oil treatment on Ozark, do you think that would help his forlock? Any other products you think would help. His forelock has been thinned/trimmed bc he shows so its not full and poofy, it was perfect but a few weeks ago i noticed how frizzy it has gotten.

I'm just in a shopping mood all of a sudden, xmas money is burning a whole on my pocket :lol:
default_smile.png

Thank you

[/

I have the same problem-major lack of forelock due to somebody getting crazy with the clippers last August.I am using Gen-a -coat and things seem to be growing.We need hair by mid May for shows.Hope it works. If I didn't want hair it would grow overnight.I think I got it from Valley Vet,KV Vet or 1 of those catalog places.

I would buy MTG. I bought it (haven't used it yet though), because I have heard nothing but good about it. Apperently it helps manes and tails grow... Alot! Good luck.
default_smile.png

http://shapleys.com/

Leeana

I have always used equal parts of scope and baby oil. Now I don't know for sure if it actually promotes growth but have always had good luck in getting growth when I use it. It will also keep them from rubbing on their tails. We always used that on our Morgans manes, forelocks, and tails to keep them nice and silky and it seems to work for me. Some people use Listerine but I find that a little strong and I like the smell of scope better.

hi leeana :saludando:

i read somewhere on another showing forum, how pig oil works, you can get it in any cattle farm store.

you put it into a squirty bottle and spray on like mane and tail conditioner, apparently its fantastic, im going to get some myself as i clipped my fillys mane to long last year when she decided to duck as i clipped her, its growing...but very s l o w lol

good luck!!!!!!!!!

Ditto on MTG that stuff is wonderful and really does work! Just follow the directions on the bottle.

Good luck,

Beth

Definitely MTG. Last year, one of our shetlands (the only one Jerry and I own) got a terrible skin disease, and lost his hair in huge patches. mtg after a few apps. grew it back thick and healthy! Use it on tails and etc. also. You should be able to buy it at TSC. For the frizzies and before shows we use Moisture Max Lotion. We buy that at Wal-Mart . Very good hair product.

I use MTG on my gelding once a week and also give Biotin 1x a day. I haven't really found anything else as effective as those...

Next question/situation
default_smile.png

default_smile.png

Thank you

Latest posts

Back