Guide horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In answer to the person who thought it was great because it showed what they can do I should point out that it quite patently does not. I am pretty sure this is the only one?? There may be one other. How many Guide Dogs were there, at the last count?

From what I can gather, most people who think guide horses are a good idea either have no horse experience or a financial stake in this issue.

From what I can gather, most people who think guide horses are a good idea either have no horse experience or a financial stake in this issue.
Ditto.

Just another point of view:

I met Dan Shaw and his guide horse, Cuddles, several years ago and spent a good bit of time with them. Cuddles had been Dan's guide horse for several years at that point, and, it was a match made in heaven for both of them. Cuddles went everywhere with Dan, including airplanes, restaurants, riding the escalator at the mall, etc, and she was completely bombproof and took her job very seriously. At restaurants, she would tap Dan's leg with her hoof if she needed to go potty. It was pretty amazing. Although Dan bought a couple of miniature horses so Cuddles would have company, Cuddles greatly preferred being with Dan.

I haven't talked to Dan in several years, but, at the time, he was absolutely 100% satisfied with having a guide horse.

Pictures of Dan and Cuddles can be seen here

http://www.guidehorse.org/helping_hooves_book_signing_louisburg.htm

I don't know anything about Dan Shaw, but I know horses. I have a feeling this is the kind of thing that's working for him, until it doesn't and the potential for injury is great. You cannot overcome the basic nature of an animal.

I have not read through this entire thread, so in the event that this has not been shared, here's a great link that takes into consideration the reality what horses are, and what they should not do -- and why that is so:

http://www.GuideHorseNo.com/

Note the long list of supporters. Most of you will recognize many of the names as people who you have come to respect for being well informed, honest and knowledgeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
The web link is for a site that hasn't been updated in 6 years. Is the horse still alive? Is the man still alive? Hows it going for them now? Since it hasn't been updated in so many years, my guess would be its not going well. His horse is a dwarf which means she probably prefered his company because she couldn't play with others minis the same way. Education is a great thing, knowing horses would certainly prove that they are not the right animal for the job as a guide horse. But there will always be people who think they know better. Until the horse is injured or dies. What a sad life for a mini.

Scammers. That's what they are.

Yep, go ahead and sue me.

Ditto

(and I'm one of the ones that they threatened to sue those years ago!)

I personally would choose a horse over a dog. Being the victim of a dog attack I am afraid of dogs. Do I think horses should just be passed out to who ever wants to be cooler then the other blind person absolutely not. I completely understand every ones point that horses are unpredictable but that is the case with all animals no matter how well trained. I feel that this should be an option only to those that have no other options.

Back