Growing hair on scars, and boo boos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
As promised before I took a picture that shows domingos booboo's that I think are mostly old scars. Im worried about showing him in halter with all of these marks, and wondering if theres anything I can do to get hair to grow back. Right now he has some skin itchies too, so Im misting him with a mixture of 50/50 listerine and baby oil, then putting bag balm on the spots. He has way more on the other side, but I forgot to turn the flash on.

Heres the picture.

360440244.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most horses look like this or similiar with a first clip after winter. I think those marks will go away. You could put mtg on them to make the hair come in quicker

I've had a little of this on a few when clipping them out too, normally its from where another horse nipped on them (i had one gelding who got picked on big time out in the pasture, brought him in to clip him out and he had a little of that going on).

I try to keep the dry flaky skin pealed off so the hair can grow through that and apply MTG to keep the skin soft too.

You're lucky that is all your guy has. My poor boy really got beat up by my four year old. I didn't realize he was biting him like he was or I would have separated them long ago. He's almost healed now, but I'm really worried the hair might take a while to come back, if it comes back at all. Your's doesn't look too bad and it blends well with the body color. My boy has a light coat and the scars are almost black so he looks funny.

We have that happen a lot to our grays and silver dapples more than any of them. I think it just shows up better on their hair color. Usually after you clip it evens on out on it's own. Sometimes the hair will grow in different than the rest, kind of eneven at first then slowly disappears.

Old cowboys used to use bacon grease and it seemed to work just fine!

I have a silver dapple gelding that looks aweful after his first shave of the year. He will be covered in black marks from his head to his rump. :DOH! It really freaked me out the first time I saw them!
default_new_shocked.gif
But after a couple clip jobs later they all disappear. Thank goodness
default_smile.png
So don't worry yet. Try to get in a couple clip jobs before a show though.Good Luck, Joyce

I like the products with the Tea Tree Oil too but I have used a bit of preparation H on places like that and it grew hair back and healed up really well. Some morgan trainers told me it was the best for that! Also you could put some leave on conditioner too, like Rosewater conditioner too to get some moisture back into his coat. Clipping kind of strips the coat of its natural oils.

I use a product called Super Green (NOT Simple Green, the cleanser!
default_laugh.png
) It does amazing things, but it can be hard to find. If not that then I swear by MTG (Mane and Tail Groom) It really stinks but you can almost watch the hair grow back out it grows so fast. I had a filly get her mane pulled out in a big spot right before show season. It grew 4" in 3 weeks!

I've used Super 14 for 3 years now. I actually didn't feed it over the winter (I know...bad me!). And now I'm paying for it. My horses have dry skin don't look so nice. I'm definitely going out and buying some and get the horses back on it. Its amazing for skin and coats!

Latest posts

Back