Grooming/Bathing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CloudNine

Reaction score
Hi!

How often do you groom/bathe? And what are your routines? Thanks in advance!

Grooming-

-Halter and tie

-Pick out hooves

-Use the Sarvis Curry

-Use the metal curry (only if he's muddy)

-Use the dandy brush

-Apply sunscreen/nonfade spray

-Brush mane and tail

-Brush face

-Braid tail if needed

-Turnout

Bathing-

-Catch and tie

-Mix shampoo and water in a bucket

-Rinse down

-Soap

-Rinse again

-Wash out tail

-Clean eyes, ears, nose, and dock

-Towel dry

-Walk/graze until completly dry

-Pick out hooves

-Turnout

My horses only get bathed if they are going to a show or are washed by God (rain!) The show horses tails are kept braided and wrapped throughout show season. They are up now to keep them from breaking off. If they get too long I trim them.

Young stock is haltered and tied frequently until they are used to it. The broodmares are very rarely haltered or tied. They go out to pasture and come in to their stalls freely.

Hoofs get picked when trimmed or when necessary. Always when bathing.

I don't know what a Sarvis curry is. Is it that round metal one? I don't use those.

Occasionally I will use sunscreen on the light colored horses if they are going out after clipping, but I don't usually let them out when freshly clipped.

Hope this helps!

My horses only get bathed if they are going to a show or are washed by God (rain!) The show horses tails are kept braided and wrapped throughout show season. They are up now to keep them from breaking off. If they get too long I trim them.
Young stock is haltered and tied frequently until they are used to it. The broodmares are very rarely haltered or tied. They go out to pasture and come in to their stalls freely.

Hoofs get picked when trimmed or when necessary. Always when bathing.

I don't know what a Sarvis curry is. Is it that round metal one? I don't use those.

Occasionally I will use sunscreen on the light colored horses if they are going out after clipping, but I don't usually let them out when freshly clipped.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Ruffian! A sarvis curry is just the plastic ones you see in feed stores like the one on the link below. I only use these because I have a mini donkey, and his hair is really thick! Thanks again, your post did help!

http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/user_resources...P4250048-01.jpg

Hi!

Grooming-

-Halter and tie

-Pick out hooves

-Use the Sarvis Curry

-Use the dandy brush

-Brush mane and tail

-Brush face

-Braid tail if needed

-Turnout

Bathing-

-Catch and tie

-Rinse down

-Soap

-Rinse again

-Wash out tail

-Towel dry

-Pick out hooves

-Turnout
You forgot the last point on each list - ROLL!
default_new_rofl.gif

I also don't bath my horses unless they are going to a show OR after coming home - I like to remove all the goop that is put on them to prep them for halter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

Grooming-

-Halter and tie

-Pick out hooves

-Use the Sarvis Curry

-Use the dandy brush

-Brush mane and tail

-Brush face

-Braid tail if needed

-Turnout

Bathing-

-Catch and tie

-Rinse down

-Soap

-Rinse again

-Wash out tail

-Towel dry

-Pick out hooves

-Turnout
You forgot the last point on each list - ROLL!
default_new_rofl.gif

I also don't bath my horses unless they are going to a show OR after coming home - I like to remove all the goop that is put on them to prep them for halter.

Grooming (twice a day):

Curry with rubber curry

Face curry

Hard brush

Slick n' Easy grooming block (helps shedding)

Soft face brush

Body brush

Repair any down braids

Cowboy Magic top of tail (the rest of the tail is up)

Rub rag (terrycloth)

Coat spray

Chamois Rub

Pick hooves

Hoof-flex

Babywipe face and muzzle

My bathing routine varies depending on if we are at a show, preparing for a clip, just home from a show, or getting a once a week bath.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MiLo Minis' date='Apr 11 2010, 10:29 AM' post='1281895'I also don't bath my horses unless they are going to a show OR after coming home - I like to remove all the goop that is put on them to prep them for halter.

I should add to this that I do give all my horses a hosing off when they have been driven and raised a sweat to get rid of the salt from their coat which will dull them.

My horses only get bathed and clipped for shows or parades (parades depends on the weather). I hope for warm enough weather to bathe especially before that first spring (get the ugly long hair) clip. As for grooming they get feet checked and some grooming before driving. I'd hate to lug all that stuff around if I was dirty and hairy.

When my 5 yr old granddauther comes out, they all get combed and brushed and if they had "pretties" they'd be wearing them. She has "my pretty ponies" at home so here she just has "live" ones!
default_laugh.png

I'll give my guys a bath this Spring. They get groomed once or twice/week. Hooves are picked out daily after being out. All my horses shed out beautifully, so I only have to clip "beards" and bridle paths (they get a big horse's-type winter coat; just a nice fuzz and it sheds out shiny and gorgeous
default_biggrin.png
). The only one I'll have to clip is Willow.

I bathe my horses every week in summer in spring the warm/hot days i try to bathe 1 or 2

Latest posts

Back