greyhounds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester Farms

Reaction score
I put in my application for a retired greyhound today. They say the process takes at least 3-4 weeks, so i'll be waiting! anyone adopt one? any tips or pointers?? i bought some books online they recommended. i cant wait!!!!!! :new_multi:

Oh, I have always wanted one of those! Some day.
default_yes.gif
:

Please post PLENTY of pictures when you get him/her!

:aktion033: GOOD LUCK in finding your new love of your life! It is great that you are giving one a new home!!

KUDDOS! To you!
default_thumbup.gif
: For adopting one of those wonderful dogs!

Have a good friend who is involved in the rescue and fostering of retired racing greyhounds. They are great companions. I'm glad you are doing some reading up on them before getting your's.

MA

My ex husbands cousin adopted one... six months later she adopted another. A year later she adopted a third. Around that time her mom and dad adopted two of them. They were just about the neatest dogs I ever hung out with and I have been around a lot of neat dogs. They had a very sweet soft laid back temperment. The biggest problem she had with them, once they had settled into being house dogs instead of kennel dogs, was that they totally dominated her couch. She ended up getting an old couch just for the dogs, which she ended up sitting on because the dogs refused to let her have the good couch back.

They are LOVELY dogs- real couch potatoes BUT they do need to be muzzled,(not in the house they are soppy darlings with people) at least until you are sure of them and they do need to be kept away from small fluffy creatures.

Each dog is different but, if you have more than one you have a pack and they will hunt and they can RUN!!

A friend of mine was forever boasting that she had taught her Lurcher not to hunt and she was fine with rabbits etc.

She got out one night, killed a neighbours pet bunnies and was killed herself on the road chasing something- a cat?? who knows.

It is instinct and it is bred in.

But, as house dogs and "going for a walk in the park" dogs they are the BEST.

They need a short walk am and pm, a short burst of activity at least once a day and they are done!!

They will do more if you want therm to, but that is all they actually want.

They will even adapt to life in an apartment.

And learn to bark at strangers.

the people I knew with them had cats and small dogs with them but they spent a LOT of time socializing them to those animals, in the house, with their muzzles on, before they ever let them around the small animals without the muzzles. They also never left them alone in the same room together. the dogs had a heated enclosed porch they stayed on when the humans were not around to try and keep things under control. Eventually the cats and the small dog passed away of old age. They were NEVER allowed to go outside in the yard with the small animals because honestly they didn't want to give them the temptation of a small animal running past. I do think in time the older dogs got to where they ignored the cats as long as they were inside the house. Cats in the house=friends. cats outside the house=food.

My husband and I seriously considered adopting one or two at one point, but with all the cats I was rescuing and already having a fairly small dog i didn't want to risk it. We may consider it in the future when the small animals we have now are no longer with us, but hopefully that won't be any time soon. I'm sorta fond of the dunderheads we have now.

Back