Grey miniatures born solid pictures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
We would love to see pictures of grey miniatures born with their other colors before turning grey pictures.

picture after birth

DSCN8067.jpg

DSCN8066.jpg

DSCN8211.jpg

DSCN8220.jpg
DSCN8181.jpg

pictures triimmed

dscn8718.jpg

dscn8645.jpg

dscn8716.jpg

winter coat coming in.

dscn8905.jpg

everyone told me she is mostly greying out. her sire is grey and dam is bay.

thanks melissa

Hello,

Here is a picture of the above foal sire when he was born, he was born sorrel and turn grey.

here is a picture of the sire as a weaning.

studmuffinasafoal.jpg

here is a picture of the sire at 3 yrs old now.

dscn8711.jpg

We have the sire's half sister who was born solid sorrel and turn grey as well.This is my daughter's favorite horse, she brought her by herself after two years of saving money.She is amhr registery

DSCN8155.jpg

thanks melissa

We would like all those who are good about knowing if a horse will grey to give us help on knowing what to look for when a foal is born.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Horses that are going to go grey must have a grey parent for one and they exhibit grey goggles early on just like in your picture. Here is my boy, MiLo Acres Classic Ladies Man, whose dam is a flea bitten grey.

3 days old as a grullo:

IMG_1052.jpg

As a weanling:

IMG_1273.jpg

And now as a yearling:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/MiL...is/IMG_3521.jpg

This is MiLo Acres Lady Madeleine as a black foal:

maddysoft.jpg

And now as a 5 year old mare with a foal of her own who is the spitting image of her mama complete with the huge star. She will also grey out just like mom:

MaybenotE.jpg

I REALLY LIKE THE YEARLING PHOTO WHEN YOU WERE SHOWING THE FOAL, NICE GREY FOAL.

THE BLACK STAR IS TO CUTE LIKE MOTHER LIKE FOAL.

:aktion033:

Since our main herd sire is grey we tend to have a lot of grey foals born here. We have a lot of grey horses but here are just some of them.

Gander Hill Legacys Lil' Miss Fancy, 2006 filly

1 day old:

ec36f1a2.jpg

about 2 months old:

ec36f1cc.jpg

Gander Hill Legacys Real Doll, 2006 filly. Doll was born bay but she was already starting to grey.

few hours old:

ec36f24b.jpg

about 2 months old:

ec36f207.jpg

Gander Hill Storm Dancer, 2006 colt.

1 day old:

ec36f2e0.jpg

5 months old:

ec36f108.jpg

And Gander Hill Chantilly Lace, 2 year old mare

about 1 hour old:

ec36f13b.jpg

2 years old:

ec36f168.jpg

KAY,

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A PALOMINO FOAL THAT WENT GREY AS WELL.

AUBREY I LOVE THE SORREL AND WHITE PINTO THAT GREY AND WHITE, VERY NICE.

MELISSA

Here is my palomino filly who has turned grey, Fantasy Corrals Secret Treasure, in her palomino foal outfit and in her first year grey winter fur suit.

Treasure%202.jpg

Treasure%20--%2010132006%20--%20072.jpg

I love greys!
default_wub.png
:

Not all gray foals will have goggles when born. Some you may not know until you clip them. We currently have 2 gray mares, both mares have only given us one gray foal each so far. THey are mother daughter. Alot of times your true gray foals will be born a very rich color. LIke blacks will be very black and not the normal mousie black.

Kay~ Here is a pic of a palomino gone gray. THis is the filly I sold Jill. It was not apparent she was going to be gray until we clipped her out and then her coat started to come back in.

This is her as a foal...... a few weeks old.

cirrus06f1.jpg

100_1878.jpg

101_1788.jpg

Here are other examples of our gray foals.

silhouette2.jpg

nitro.jpg

cirrus.jpg

This the gray stud that everybody recommended to be gelded? if so you really should be gelding him before you sell him.

Ashley

yes this is the same stud. If someone wants to gelded him that will be fine by me and we will consider it in the price. I was hoping someone out there who wants a very loving stud for they small herd would want him. This stud has great bloodlines example dippers duffy, golden melody boy, boones little apache, double o seven and one half mot, bond.We have had him since he was a yearling, he sire was shown. I think if someone got him looking right, he would look like a different stud. We have our eyes on a blue eyed pinto to buy right now, we need to find him a good home. We would consider trades for him, if someone wants to geld him for 4-h or a great pet.

thanks melissa

A little off the topic, and I know that everyone who's posted here on this thread knows the difference, BUT for some who may be reading but not posting, here's something!

On my way home, I was just thinking about one of my favorite horses, Bacardi (Little Kings BT Bacardi Gold). He's a VERY golden palomino from late spring - early fall. However, he is about the color of a manilla file for part of the year.

Just knowing this, and knowing some things I wondered about when I first got into minis, I wanted to post a summer picture and a winter picture of Bacardi. I know not everyone loves greys (I do though!) and just thought I'd post in case anyone is new to minis and currently worried their palomino is going grey!

This is the same horse, different times of year, and he is not going grey.

2006%20VMHC%20Summer%20Show%20--%20Bacardi%20--%20036%20--%20Smaller%20for%20Geldings%20Page.jpg

Bacardi%20--%2002252006%20--%20033.jpg

Jill I absolutely love that first picture of your little girl "Fantasy Corrals Secret Treasure" what a darling little face!

I also love the grays and we also have a gray stallion we use, but only about half of his foals have grayed themselves.

thanks so much ashley. that does look like tamis filly. it was really throwing me until i talked to lewella. most thought she was a silver buckskin which is not possible. but lewella said grey on cream is really had to figure out as its really odd looking. And I have never seen grey on cream. Tamis filly looks exactly like the one you sold jill. dark lower legs etc.

I dont have pictures of him as a baby scanned onto my computer,

But here is Mini Mounts Lucky Zeus as a late weanling half way through his change. He now is completely grey except for a little patch behind one of his ears. He is now a yearling.

zeus2.jpg

zeus1.jpg

And Now:

6d577007.jpg

7a485336.jpg

I know what you mean, Kay! If Treasure had not come from Ashley (who I trust very much!), I would have wondered if she's the same horse I saw in those 3wk old pictures. I wanted to buy her at that time, but someone else beat me to her -- but then it didn't work out for that person so I was able to buy her after all.

I also had not seen grey on palomino previously and never knew in that situation, a horse actually gets darker for a time!!!

Then in pictures before meeting her in person, I also questioned could she be silver buckskin, but genetically, that is not possible. Then when she arrived and I could see her there side by side with my silver buckskin filly, Flirt, there's a huge difference in the colors. Treasure's body is snow white and her legs, mane and tail have a cool grey cast, where Flirt is a cream colored with brownish legs, mane and tail -- so one is a cool color group and the other is a warm color group if that make sense?

thanks so much ashley. that does look like tamis filly. it was really throwing me until i talked to lewella. most thought she was a silver buckskin which is not possible. but lewella said grey on cream is really had to figure out as its really odd looking. And I have never seen grey on cream. Tamis filly looks exactly like the one you sold jill. dark lower legs etc.

makes perfect sense! i got to thinking when tamis girl was born and I talked to lewella i had never seen a cream horse going grey. So yes it really throws ya a loop!!! I just keep learning and learning. I think my brain is now crammed full for the week LOL

I hear you, Kay! But, I think that the fact there is always plenty to learn when it comes to horses is what keeps it interesting!!! I wish that I could remember clients names and work related things with the ease that I am able to remember horse names and horse things. Once I learn something "horse", I don't forget it but the same cannot be said for what I do that actually keeps me in horses (my job).

Another silver buckskin / grey thing is when I was pretty new to minis and had them "just" as pets and to drive, I wanted to find an "arab grey" mini. I looked around and at that time, I wouldn't consider buying one i couldn't go drive out and see in person. The closed I could find was my silver buckskin mare, Firefly (who's going to be Erica's horse and part of her mini mule program). The owners could not put her color into words and neither could I for the first couple years I owned her. I didn't know what you call that color, but it was a little close to grey
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Here is a picture of our only grey at birth. Her sire had also greyed out.

dcp01833.jpg

Then here she is as a 3 year old. Her mane/tail and forelock were sunbleached at the time. They're still jet black at the base.

Cat1.jpg

Debi

Latest posts

Back