Graphic Photos of Aborted Fetus

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJRMINIS

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I wanted to post pictures, but for educational purposes I will.

I read back through one of Tony's post previously on a deformed fetus, and realized how much I learned from it.

SO I decided I will post a link to the pictures so that if you want to view them you can, as many have emailed me wanting to see the pictures.

I do beleive it was a dwarf foal, this mare had had two previously very healthy foals.

She was around 4 months along.....at the most.

I do not think it resembles a foal at all, if you look at the link on Crayonbox miniatures, and after seeing the foal we lost at 5 months along last year, this one does not have a nose like a normal horse, it is more pig like...

I am thankful that the mare's body knew this was not a viable foal.....and Mother Nature stepped in and took care of this.

WARNING: THESE ARE GRAPHIC.......Don't open if you can't handle it.

First pic is at the vet's right after he got it out....if you notice the cord you can see it is twisted:

Aborted Fetus pic

Aborted Fetus

Aborted fetus head

Michele I thank you for that- I think you and your little mare had a very "lucky" escape!

i am sorry for your loss I know how disappointing it is. Yes I am in complete agreement with you this fetus was a dwarf with some serious issues

I see what you mean by very graphic but there is a lesson and even from a young age it looks quite obvious that this would have been a dwarf foal.

thank you for sharing. to me this also looks like a dwarf. the fetus i lost a week ago does not resemble this one at all (the one i lost was more "normal" looking for its stage of developement). i am glad nature knows when to step in! so sorry again for your loss! jennifer

As sad as it is to lose a foal, it appears this one might have been worse to have been carried to term, for its own sake as well as its dam's.

I am sorry for the loss and I wish you better luck.

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us, as it is quite educational for those of us who breed.

Liz M.

I am so sorry for your loss but it sounds like it was nature's way of dealing with what was probably a poor little dwarf. I am so sorry.

I'm glad nature took it's course early with this one. Any larger and your mare would have had diffuculty passing it. Thank you so much for the educational pictures. I wish you better luck in the future.

I too appreciate your sharing the pictures. The fetus does look very malformed, poor thing. Yes, better to lose it now than at full term. I hope that your mare is doing ok.

That was very good of you to be willing to share those photos. I agree with the others in that it was a deformity and Mother Nature did her job this time.

Blessings,

MA

[SIZE=14pt]Thanks for posting this for educational purposes. Yes it was a dwarf and God was merciful to you and the little mare. [/SIZE]

Lyn

Thank-you for sharing these photos, I'm sorry for the loss, but it does look like a dwarf and would have had many issues. Nature does often know best!

With your permission, could I use these for a new page on the fetus development pages. I think it may be helpful to other breeders.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing with us all, as difficult as it is.

Thank-you for sharing these photos, I'm sorry for the loss, but it does look like a dwarf and would have had many issues. Nature does often know best!

With your permission, could I use these for a new page on the fetus development pages. I think it may be helpful to other breeders.

Kim,

Yes you are more than welcome to use these photos....I have learned so much from your site!!!!!

It is well put together and very informative.

Everyone that has posted:

Thank you all for your sympathies........I feel bad for my mare, but I am glad it turned out this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michele,

How heart breaking for you and the mare and the fetus.

I agree that it is a blessing that the mare aborted.

I am so sorry for your loss and how kind of you to post the pictures so that others may learn.

Thanks

Joyce

So sorry your mare aborted.
default_sad.png

Thank you for posting the pictures though.

Michele

Hope both you and your mare are "healing". How is mama doing emotionally? Even though premature, it's always been a mystery if mares still mourn, given this situation.

For those of us who've never experienced this awful situation, I must thank you for taking the time to share photos at such a painful time.

Take care!

Latest posts

Back