Goat pregnancy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
I just got Greta about a week ago. She was with a buck about 2-3 months ago per her last owner. She is 1&1/2 yrs old and 3/4 Nubian 1/4 Boer. She was with a boer buck. This is her first pregnancy( if she is bred) I was told that her udder should start growing, so I was wondering if any members have goats and would look at her and see if you think she could be starting an udder. Or if this looks like a normal udder for a non preg doe.

11-17-08pm005.jpg

11-17-08pm010.jpg

11-14-08am027.jpg

This is Greta with my 50/50 Nubian boer doeling Betty

11-16-08pm002.jpg

11-14-08am008.jpg

11-05-08022.jpg

How funny that your goat's name is Greta! A couple of months ago, we wound up babysitting a goat for the movie studio that was named Greta (Garbo.) Our Greta was pure Boer, she stayed with us for a bit more than a week.

If my memory serves me, the gestation period for goats is 150 days. Nubian is a dairy breed, if your girl is 3/4 Nubian, she'll have a lot more udder than that before she kids. Since goats usually have more than one kid at a time, she'll also have quite a tummy, too. I have one that had triplets twice, both times, she was nearly as wide as she is long!

Deffinently she should have an utter. Your going to see sunking in hips and look for the ligimints in her tail to become more prominant. As well they will turn really soft. You could see some mucus discharge, as well as a loose vagina. Just a couple things to keep an eye out for. She's really cute by the way.

Thanks Yall. I have been doing a lot of reading and its funny but I have kidded a lot of does, but never actually owned them! I have a few friends with does and I always seemed to be around when they were in labor. LOL, I even have had to go in and help deliver. Just dont know much about the gestation. I think it funny that I have all this experience in the birth and none in the pregnancy! I wish I just knew for sure if she is bred.

I will be keeping an eye on her for signs of a developing udder, but wish I knew now!

Hey girl!! What have you got yourself into now!!! LOL!!!! Have you looked to see if there is a "goat Stare" site out there? I don't know a dang thing about goats, but I wanted to say HI!!!!!

Joyce

Hi Joyce! Yep I am going to be a goat granny too!

How are ya!

She is a cute gal. Well, let's see, if she was with a buck 2-3 months ago then she would be 2-3 months pregnant if she is even pregnant. Their gestation is 145- 155 days (or 5 1/2 months) and for her first pregnancy I would expect to start seeing an udder on her in about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 months- January or February. My goats start an udder 4 weeks prior to kidding and it's huge and hard 24 hours prior to kidding. You could have your vet palpate her abdomen.

I have had a bunch of kids born on my farm and had lots of different things come up, so if I can offer you any advice (keep in mind I am NO expert) please PM me. I love to chat Goat talk as well as horse talk.

My neighbor raises Boers. I raise Pygmies, but I have a Nubian wether and a Fainter buck, too.

Have fun!
default_smile.png

Thanks Erica, so I have a ways to go even if she is bred before an udder will form. Very good to know. At least I have pics to compare back!

I love goats, I had 2 spanish goats about 5 years or so ago, never bred them.

If she isnt bred I will breed her when she starts cycling again. I heard Nubians are seasonal breeders so I may have a bit of a wait.

Aww she is lovely.

Just to let you know, I had two does that didnt get even a hint of an udder until a couple of hours before they kidded. It gave us a bit of a fright I can tell you.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back