Getting Socks White!?!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minishowgirl

Reaction score
Im going to a mini horse show next weekend and wanted to know your show grooming tips on getting socks white?? I dont have time to buy fancy sprays so those are a no. I was wondering if I could put sunscreen on theyre legs to whiten them?? I already use baby powder and the day before their white is scrubbed with Quic Silver. Anything else I can do?? I really want to get some GOOP to try.

My clipping skills are not good at all. If I could clip well id clip them all the time.

Don't do anything special over here. I just bathe mine with eZall and gets them white. If anything you can buy some white grooming chalk, I used that at Nationals last year because of something stupid I did. Lets just say it turned my horse's fetlocks red and shampoo wasn't getting them so I used white chalk and you couldn't even tell. You can also try baby powder, may be a little bit more messy but cheaper.

I use baby powder at every show. I like it but it doesnt stick the best. I was looking at white pony paints the other day and looked like they might work. Is the chalk like school chalk or actual horse chalk??

Like mixing it into a paste with water in a bucket then scrubbing?? Ive tried that before and didnt find that it worked very well. Have any of you tried Goop?? If you have does it work and what do you use to condition after???

You can always try the school chalk see if it works. I haven't tried that. I'm assuming it should work the same way but maybe not. All I know is the groomers chalk works really well.

The important thing is not to use anything that is too greasy, it'll just collect dirt.

washing them with vivid laundry detergent and rinsing well or using a cap full or two of laundry blueing in a 5 gallon bucket of rinse water and placing each leg in the bucket or a basin and sponge the water over them, then do a pre show powder if needed.

Chalk works good and stays a little better than baby powder. You chalk UP the leg not down though. And make sure you trot them around and let the chalk fall off. THEN Do their feet. Dont paint the feet then powder.

Any bluing shampoo would work. You know, something like what grandma would use on her white hair.

That's what we use (like Katieann said)-human shampoo for white/grey hair. You can get the best kind at a local beauty supply that allows the public to purchase items like shampoo too. (the "Sally's" chain is what is in our local area). We also use the French White groomers chalk-you can find it online from horse suppliers or from dog show suppliers. Watch you don't leave your bluing or 'white hair' shampoo on TOO long-or you will get purple or blue socks; but we do let it 'sit' a little before rinsing. A hair stylist also told us if you start getting a blue or lavendar cast after using it for a while (if you show a lot in a season); then skip using the product for a time or two (use your regular shampoo) and then go back to the "bluing" product. (we have never had that happen personally).

I've never tried this on a horse, but I am wondering if Boraxo, the hand cleaning powder, would do any good. I find it to be an excellent scrub on MY summer feet. Use it with your regular shampoo and a stiff brush. It is a great product.

Boraxo sounds like Goop only its been used on horses. Goop is a paste that you put on dry socks add shampoo let it sit then rinse it. ill have to try the human shampoo! Ive only used Pantene on my horse because I was out of Mane And Tail.
default_yes.gif

I scrub my boy with fairy washing up liquid

Believe it or not, the halloween people hair spray paint works great. It is safe to use in reasonable amounts and cheap. I load up at halloween, but sometimes Party City and places like that carry it year round.

Latest posts

Back