Getting Fat??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horse~lover

Reaction score
i have a 14hh QH mare and she is on the chubby side.

i also have a 32 year old Tenneessee walker mare who is practically

skin and bones.

i feed my skinnier horse (sabrina) more than my younger horse(jazz)

sabrina gets beet pulp and Wet cobb and jazz gets a small amount of grain each

night. though it seems my younger mare gets fatter and my older girl gets thinner.

Jazz doesn't eat Sabrinas food either. (they share a pasture but suprisingly Jazz leaves

Sabrina alone to her food) So why is the one i give less food gettting fatter while the one

with lots of food that i want to fatten is staying skinny? is it her age? (32 almost 33) do they slim down with age? shes almost skin and bones. her ribs started showing and i can't fatten her for the life of me! she doesn't have worms either, their both regularly wormed. what is wrong? anything?
default_unsure.png
:

thanks (in advance ) for your help

ashlee

ashley

older horses do tend to get thin. For sure though you need to get her teeth checked and have a veternarian look at her. I dont know what wet cobb is?? And i have to assume they also both get hay right?? Also what kind of "grain" do they eat?? For the older horse i would get her on equine sr made by purina.

The older horse needs her teeth done and she should be put on one of the Senior foods. And I would really push the beet pulp as well.

But definitely get her teeth done.

The Senior feeds can make the huge difference that an older horse needs.

Good luckBonnie

Cob stands for corn/oats/barley. Not a good ration for any horse. Put the old mare on a good Senior feed and a fat supplement like MoorGlo or NaturalGlo wouldn't hurt either. You're feed dealer and vet can work with you to design an appropriate ration for your older horse. As other have said - have her teeth checked - if they have no teeth, they have no way to grind up feed and must be on a pelleted sr. feed that is easily digested.

As for the younger one, have your feed dealer and vet help you with a ration for her also.

thank you for your help. i had our farriers (who also do teeth and checkups and all around horse care) they said her teeth are good and shes in perfect health for her age. anyways thanks for your health, hopefully with all your suggestions she'll start to fatten up.

thanks!

ashlee

Latest posts

Back