Genetics Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Okay I got to thinking about it.....I have some questions about what I can assume about my three proven breeding stock.....please note NONE have been tested

Missy is a palomino tobiano and splash with one blue eye

She has produced a sorrel pinto blue eyed filly and sorrel minimal pinto colt both sired by a bay minimal pinto stallion

Allula is a black tobiano and splash with two blue eyes

She has produced a bay pinto blue eyed filly also sired by the same one as missys foals

Without them being tested (base color wise) what is safe to assume about the stallion and the two mares and what they will produce?

Thanks =)

Without testing?

Very little, up to and including the fact that both sire and mares could all have LWO.

You need to test Pintos for this, at the very least.

After that, you can be thankful that you dodged the bullet, or sleep well at night!!

TEST.

I wasn't talking about pinto or LWO. My stallion has been tested for it and he's negative so no need to test the mares.

I was talking about their base color genetics and what they can pass on

You can assume the stallion is heterozygous for black and that's about it. Then of course there's the given that the palomino pinto mare is heterozygous cream and homozygous red. Can not deduce zygosity for tobiano or agouti for either of them. For the black pinto mare, everything is up in the air there too. Can't tell whose tobiano is linked to what (red or black). So can't help too much as of yet!

So without testing this what I can deduce thus far? (please correct me if I'm wrong)

STALLION - het for black

MISSY (palomino pinto) - het for cream and hom for red

ALLULA (black pinto) - not enough info to know

For Missy, does this mean she would never be able to produce palomino/buckskin/etc.? Or would I only find that out via testing?

You know Allula has at least one copy of black.

Missy has a 50% chance of passing along her cream to each foal. She will only pass on a red, but breeding her to a black based stallion with agouti could get you buckskin.

You could test Allula for black/red and all of them for tobiano. And you could test the stallion and Missy for agouti.

Thank you so much OHMT.

I plan on doing that after Missy has her foal so that way I can send in everyone's hair samples at the same time and save time/stamps/energy/etc.

Besides those three I only have my yearling stud and this unborn 2012 to test and will be doing that as well!

I also plan on testing for splash as well just so I can throw my results into the research pool!

Latest posts

Back