Geldings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you as a farm/individual support geldings? I really want to hear concrete - this is what we do, not what should be done (we all know what should be done!).

I do reduce prices greatly to buyers who will geld the colts. I sponsor gelding classes at the local shows.

Buyers/Show people:

Do you show geldings? yes

Do you participate in the local or national club gelding incentive programs? yes, I donate to some of the local gelding incentive programs.

Do you buy geldings - and if you do, are you going for the low end colt to geld yourself, or a gelding for a pet or a competitive show horse (trained)? I do not generally buy any geldings.

Breeders/Sellers:

Do you offer incentives to show your geldings? yes, after reducing the price just to have them sold as geldings, I will reduce even more if they will show them.

Do you financially support your local or national clubs gelding incentive programs? I do donate as much as I can afford too.

Do you sell only geldings? no

How do you promote geldings to potential buyers? depends on what they want the horse for. Normally it is a first time buyer so will just talk up how easy geldings are to work with and learn on.

Everyone:

Does your local club offer a gelding incentive program? (gelding parties, reduced show costs, a hi-point type program, etc.) yes

Should AMHA/AMHR have severely reduced fees (I'm talking token) for gelding registration? yes I think so..

Now this is what I would really like to try and do. but I'm pretty clueless on how to get something like this started. I'm not good at wording things but here goes a shot.

I have this idea in my head of a place for just geldings, where they would have a home for life, but could be adopted out on some sort of terms where they could come back if need be. Also at this place I would want to have some kinda camp for kids and adults to come and learn about miniatures, also for the new comers to let them have a hands on with them to see if minis is really where they want.

It would be for all of the stallions/mares/geldings who are priced under a certain amount of money, I would have some type of standard for adjusting what each horse was worth.

This would also be a place where you could drop off unwanted stallions, or geldings or mares. But in the end everything that would be here would get spayed or gelded.

Now what is keeping me from doing this, is the lack of money to purchase up all of these lesser quality stallions, and then geld them, then of course the lack of funds for the buildings and care that these horses would need.

I've started looking at grants, but am lost and can not seem to find one that I could apply for.

bascially what I have to work with right now is 10acres of land I would be willing to develop for this project.

Anyway this is just me sharing my idea of what I think might help with the over population of stallions/mares in our miniature horse industry that should not be used as breeding animals.

so if anyone knows how to get something like this started, I'm all ears:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for your input. I hope we can all keep up the "Go Geldings" and get more boys done. It is really important to make these changes in attitudes, and get more geldings into pet and show homes. I really believe the gelding incentives programs and paybacks are one way to increase the value of our boys and hope ALL the forum members will consider supporting their local gelding incentive programs or push to get one started!

I do have to give a bit of credit here to one of our members - Liz (Nootka) has been one of those people that very subtly has pushed me into gelding more of our boys, instead of leaving it up to buyers to handle. Her stance on geldings has always inspired me over the years, and did make us take a good look at our own herd and start gelding more than just the 'pets'. I'm still not quick to geld, but we're getting there with 3 more scheduled for next month!

As for the registration comment I made, sorry if I was unclear about the registration fees - I meant hardship fees. I have boys I would register into AMHR - but $260 for a non-breeding horse or AMHA's hardship fee - it's a gelding so I think both of these registries should have token fees to encourage gelding.

Hi

Here in Ireland there are more colts and stallions than you can imagine.

No breeders geld their colts before selling them, therefore everyone has their own stallion, which to me lessens the quality of the really good stallions.

I have 1 stallion and 1 colt and last summer we took in a 4 yr old stallion that was not of show quality so we gelded him ourselves and now use him for driving.

I havent breed any foals yet but am expecting 2 this year but i will be gelding them before i sell them.

:saludando:

Buyers/Show people:

Do you show geldings? The only horse I have owned was a gelding and I showed him.

Do you participate in the local or national club gelding incentive programs? No i did not, I was "new" to showing and had no clue what a gelding incentive was.

Do you buy geldings - and if you do, are you going for the low end colt to geld yourself, or a gelding for a pet or a competitive show horse (trained)? I bought a gelding. I can't buy another horse right now but I look at sales horses all the time and gelding is always in my mind I look for geldings and any colt/stallion that I could geld

Breeders/Sellers: I dont breed or sell yet but if i ever do this is what I would do.

Do you offer incentives to show your geldings? Yes I would

Do you financially support your local or national clubs gelding incentive programs? I don't at the moment but if I ever have enough money/time I would

Do you sell only geldings? To be honest I have gone over this in my head quite a few times. I would sell fillys and mares, Any colt that I breed that leaves the farm will be a gelding.

How do you promote geldings to potential buyers? I would explaine to them all the good parts about owning a gelding. I would tell them if they were new to minis/breeding minis about drawfism ect...

Everyone:

Does your local club offer a gelding incentive program? (gelding parties, reduced show costs, a hi-point type program, etc.) I do think they have a high point gelding year end award

Should AMHA/AMHR have severely reduced fees (I'm talking token) for gelding registration? Yes i think they should

Latest posts

Back