Gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini~Madness

Reaction score
Gelding-Opinion Wanted

I have an 8 mo. old stud colt that I wanted to make a gelding before I sold him. I have done some research but I seem to have stumbled upon some conflicting information so I wanted to get some more opinions before I went off on a tangent and got down to business (so to speak).
default_rolleyes.gif

1. I always thought that they had to have fully dropped before one could geld. I have been told that this is not true. So what is correct or are there different procedures done for both cases?

2. Also how long is the healing process I want to know how long to wait after the procedure before advertising him for sale.

I appreciate all responses I receive in advance. Thank you

Hello...

Your vet performing the procedure will best be able to tell you if he can geld him. In most cases, a vet can still geld if they are not fully dropped. I've had colts gelded at three months old, not really "dropped" per se but if the testicles can be palpated they can be removed. The problem I think comes when they are retained inside the body. However, lots of young colts aren't really "dropped" visually like a mature stallion.

The healing process is usually around a week or two. Within a few days the colt should be pretty much "back to normal" but there may still be some draining for several days more. Usually just a quick massage with water daily is all the care they need during this time.

Andrea

Agreed 100% with Andrea about the gelding. I have had colts as young as 5 and 8 weeks done without any problems, as both testicles were easily palpated.

Some folks believe a colt should wait till he is 2 or so as he needs the hormones to develop his muscle mass.

No wonder you are finding conflicting information. I doubt every vet you talk to will have the same opinions. Perhaps you could call your state university and speak to someone in the equine health department.

I don't see why you cannot advertise the colt the day--the hour--he is gelded. By the time he is sold/picked up you will know if there are complications and can act accordingly. Once is gelded he is gelded!

I've gelded stallions from six months to 15 years. If you can palpate the testicle he can be gelded. Sedating one that doesn't have them both "there" the vet can often hook it if it's in canal, but not fully descended.

Young Minis have small testicles and can suck them up very quickly.

I've heard this from a number of vets, regarding waiting until a colt is two-ish. I tend to wait, if possible especially for taller colts. Losing registration papers for an extra inch or so, isn't worth it to me.

"Colts gelded prior to puberty often grow taller than if they were left intact until after puberty. The testosterone surge at puberty (18-24 months) triggers closure of the growth (epiphyseal) plates in the long bones of the legs, and the horse stops growing taller. The theory is that colts gelded at less than 1 year of age do not experience the pubertal testosterone surge and that allows more long bone growth and extra height." Full article here Reseach on google - epiphyseal plates gelding horses.

Any colt I am not keeping gets gelded at eight weeks, no problems.

The most difference I have seen in expected height and actual height has been half an inch, more usually it seems to make no difference at all in Minis.

I do know that geldings grow on longer than colts- I have known that since forever, I think, but in Minis....not so much!

I can speak for the muscle mass thing, though, and can state categorically that it makes no difference at all- good horsemanship is good horsemanship, and that is what gets good condition on a horse.

Latest posts

Back