GELD HIM OR NOT?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what is 'very expensive' and I am not sure where you live. I did map from Paducah, ky to my vet in Nashville, IL and it is about 130 miles--almost all interstate. He charges about $125 for gelding and shots ect. At least that is what it cost about 2 yrs ago. I can call and ask for sure if you want. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does the old saying go? "Out of 100 colts you should geld 90 and shoot 9". I believe the only reason to keep a horse in tact is if you intend to breed, and realistically, though he is very special to you, being unreg. Really lessens his value as a stud. I am not saying that he is not valuable b/c he is not papered, as you do not ride the papers, but i think the mini breed is more prone to this debaucle...not many people second guess gelding a 16hh 1200lb horse, as a stallion of this size is a big responsibility. But minis are cute and small "how bad could he be?" Is what i hear a lot, and let me tell you, an 8hh "screaming penis" figuratively speaking of course is no fun to have in the barnyard. Stallions have breeding on their mind and as a result, can be frustrating as they can become difficult to handle. I know there are many well mannered stallions out there, but you never can be too careful and if you wait too long or let him breed he may not give up stud behavior even after gelding. In my area (eastern Ct) gelding surgery costs 2 $ per minute and usually takes 1/2 hr to an hr (factoring in waiting for drugs to kick in) plus the cost of meds, supplies and call charge. Start saving now so in the early spring (before the flies come out) you will have some $ to geld him. Always remember, stallions are from venus, mares are from mars but geldings are from heaven.

Latest posts

Back