Gasoline Prices Effect on Horse Market

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunPainted

Reaction score
This whole gas thing is insane! Transportation costs of purchasing a new horse will sure put a damper on the market....and ultimately cause the price of consumer goods to skyrocket. Will the additional cost to transport a horse you want factor into your decision of buying?

I lived in Southern California in the late-70's when gasoline was rationed. Let me tell you, it wasn't pretty!
no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It would definately have an effect on whether or not I buy a horse. I will definately think long and hard before purchasing another horse.

It will also affect which shows I go to and which I miss.

jennifer
saludando.gif

Yep, I dont own a truck, so I have to have my horses shipped in that I buy. Needless to say I wont be buying anymore for a while, I have one contract I will fulfill(been waiting for two years for the arrival of this foal) but after that I'm on hold for a while.
sad.gif

I am answering phones for a Transport Company while they are out on the road and let me tell you today the phone has been ringing off the hook with 2 bookings and several more looking very close to booking just today alone.

Not sure what that says about the market in the future but as of this moment seems to be ok

I have 3 horses for sale and 2 of those horses are " sale pending " I'm waiting on the $$$ which has been sent. I talked to the buyers and they will not let the gas prices change the market on thier horse buying. I'm also looking at buying..... ASPC/AMHR Black and white mare....
aktion033.gif

I have been told by some selllers it already has affected their sales. I don't have anything for sale but I do think it is bound to hurt everyone for gas prices to get so outrageous. mary

DunPainted said:
This whole gas thing is insane!  Transportation costs of purchasing a new horse will sure put a damper on the market....and ultimately cause the price of consumer goods to skyrocket.  Will the additional cost to transport a horse you want factor into your decision of buying?
I lived in Southern California in the late-70's when gasoline was rationed.  Let me tell you, it wasn't pretty! 
no.gif

459401[/snapback]

I bought one and need to go pick up in a month. I have allowed an extra $1 per gallon to what gas I need. Ok, it may cost me an extra $50-70 but, I will still go get him.
laugh.gif

Those with 12 mile to the gal vehicles will hurt more
yes.gif
I'm at 20 per.

I just hope people don't crazy and panic! I strongly feel this is a temporary situation.

We here are just hanging in and playing it by ear. Recommend others do the same.

MA

I know a cute blk/white toby mare here in WA state. I believe she is 28" I almost bought her but they think she might be homo for Toby and I really wanted to try for Overo. If I didn't get a overo then try for a mare that might give me one. They wanted $2500. E-mail me for more info..

starminis said:
I have 3 horses for sale and 2 of those horses are " sale pending " I'm waiting on the $$$ which has been sent. I talked to the buyers and that said they are not going to LET it affect the market.  I'm also looking at buying..... ASPC/AMHR Black and white mare....
aktion033.gif

459484[/snapback]

Well, I just picked up my new mini just before fuel prices really started to rise. Sure glad I did when I did! Ouch! Might have backed out on the deal or delayed picking her up if that were the case. I have 3 more horse shows that are 4 hours away and I'm starting to get worried about how many will be showing? I'm willing to go but if their is not enough for points then what a waste!

I'm sure glad I'm not selling anything right now because I'm sure nervous myself about buying anything but local horses right at the moment...

Well, I've just bought TWO horses, and sold one, to California, so it doesn't seem to be affecting things here at the moment.
smile.gif

I would still buy a horse, but it would have to be somewhat local...I wouldn't drive much more than a few hours one way for them right now. our new Chevy 3500 dually gets about 10 miles to the gallon when we ARENT hauling and only between 8 and 9 when we are....and that's even with an empty trailer. I'm VERY glad that we have to other vehicles that get much much better gas mileage.

Back