Gardening for dummies....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauralee

Reaction score
Almost all of the bulbs are in the ground.

I put a 3" layer of pine bark mulch on top of the beds.

And now we wait.

What products are best (or home remedies!) for controlling insects ?

What products are best for controlling weeds?

I want to create a watering system with soaker hose so that I can turn it on in the evening for a few hours...any ideas there?

I have planted:

Dahlias

Gladiolas

Peruvian Daffodils

Cannas

Hollyhocks

Freesia

Mexican Shellflowers

Gallardia

Today I will finish up by planting:

Caladiums

Lillies

Daisies

Yarrow

Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated!!!

sevin dust for bugs

preen to keep weeds/grass out but you have to do it before it starts

you can buy a soaker horse or just make one on a cheap hose by poking small holes in it.

i really need to get started!

I usually only have problems with slugs and snails. I will pluck them or lay out snail bait. You can lay down a board and they will crawl under it then can be disposed of. Sometimes afids will be a problem but you can just spray with a stream of water to get rid of, especially under leaves, or spray with Safer Insecticidal Soap. (Not exactly organic, but close). The only problem I can see with what bulbs you have chosen is some are very drought tolerant (yarrow) and some (peruvian daffodil - see http://www.gaygardener.com/gardenspot/bulbs021.phtml) prefer moist soil. They will come up, but not thrive.

What zone are you in? We are in zone 7 and they say we should lift the dahlia bulbs at the end of the season. I have done both, lift and leave in, both work, but I have lost some to rot through the winter.

I usually plant caladiums in the shade, so you may have to watch that they don't get burned by the sun. Watering in the morning is preferred to watering at night (can promote fungus). Please be careful what kind of insecticides and herbicides you use. Remember, not all bugs are destructive and it all ends up in our water supply. Good luck, you are probably going to have quite a show. You are way ahead of me this year.

Diane in OR

Last edited by a moderator:
We are in zone 7 according to our zip code. However, according to the chart that shows the lowest annual average temperature, we are more like 8b, because our lowest temps would be (maybe once a year) into the teens, and rarely at that. This past winter, however, was unusually COLD for longer periods of time.

The past two years drought (actually three years to be honest) has taken a toll on my lawn and pastures. The majority of my yard is in full sun, because the trees we planted are not spread out good yet.

So I planted the lillies in a spot at the front of the driveway, where they will receive shade then brief sun, then shade all afternoon, underneath two pine trees situated east/west. Some of the lilly bulbs were trying to BLOOM inside the plastic packaging!!!! We planted them....will they be okay????

The beds I have selected for the sun lovers are in the sun pretty much all day. I'm putting the daisies, coneflower, and yarrow together in one bed. I'm going to leave the bed pretty sandy, and not put as much potting soil or peat into it.....yes????

I have the caladiums in a huge *pretty* pot on the porch (WAL MART!).

I put the Freesia with the Cannas, hoping they would get along well.

I put some gladiolas with the peruvian daffodils.....would those be compatible together?

I installed soaker rings in all of my round beds, connected to a maze of water hoses that strings across the yard.

One little elm tree was planted 4 years ago. It just has not "taken off" and grown. It still gets leaves and makes a feeble attempt to stay alive. I reworked its flower bed surrounding it, and mulched it with a pile of pine mulch. I am hoping that this will turn it around, otherwise it may find itself replaced!

For whatever reason, I have never seen a slug or snail here at this house. The property used to be a hay meadow, and is really sunny and dry. We do, however, have fireants which seem to invade everything! Will sevin dust stop them???? Do I just sprinkle it on top of the beds or what???

My soil is mostly sandy with an occasional bit of clay. We've topped it with stall cleanings over the years so there is a good layer of pine shavings plus poop mixed into the beds too. When I worked each bed, I added a couple of 40 pound bags of potting soil and humus to each 4 foot round bed, plus some peat.....hoping this is a good recipe....

I bought a box of bulb food. I was too stupid and nervous to try to use it when I planted the bulbs in the beds and the pots. With the potting soil being added (it has food in it, right?), should I wait on using the bulb food? Or go ahead???

Last edited by a moderator:
soaker hoses rock! A big tip for ya--water in the morning so that the plants can dry out through the day. Watering in the evening can lead to lots of different mold and mildew diseases and fungi grownths. :bgrin

Lauralee, for the tree, go to the nursery and find a good tree fertilizer. Then find a pipe that you can drive into the ground, being careful of roots, and water directly into the pipe. That way the water will go directly to the roots of the tree. Here in this area there is a lot of clay, and it takes the water longer to soak into the ground. I don't know if your area is like this or not, but it is still a good way to get a tree watered well. Elms have had a disease for many years that has nearly decimated them, so you may go to the nursery and find out what you can and should do for the little fellow.

Latest posts

Back