Fun managable # of mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 21 but I have had as many as 28 but found that although there physical needs were met was too many to give each one enough individual attention , love/fuss etc , Ive cut down now and Im much happier , Im aiming at having around 15

Two seems to be my number. When I went to three it seemed to be too much for me. Three made me go from 1 wheelbarrow to having to do 2 loads. The farrier and extra vet bills ..shots. floating etc jumped up. With two i have one for each hand for leading and farm strolls. They fit in my run in shed better and they don't gang up on horse number three. Depends on your personal situation and set up. For me two works great. Three was much harder than I thought it was going to be. Kind of like having children.. two is like having 4 and 3 is like having 6. Lol. The amount of work involved can go up. Greater than the add on. Mostly because the more you divide your time the less you have. Even bathing and clipping and brushing should beconsidered. Yum potato chips so hard to resist but the times I increased my numbers I discovered they allwere getting shortchanged. Best wishes

as other have said it depends on your schedule and what goals you have for your horses . We have 10 , 2 stallions and 6 mares. We also had 2 geldings but sold them as we hadn't made time to use them in recent years. and no big plans for them in the future . We are expecting 5 foals this year who most of them will be offered for sale. But we can certainly keep that many if need be. In the end 10 or less is pretty easy on us. so we like that number. We do show and breed. But normally our showing is 2 at the most. We are set up so all our horses are in stalls at night and out all day unless the weather is terrible. But also consider the expense of trims and shots when adding another

thanks for the great feedback! We once had 6 full sized horses when I was in highschool, it was a lot of work! luckily several were retired so I didnt have to worry about riding all of them, just a couple. After 12 yrs of dedication to riding I decided it just isnt for me and for the past 5 yrs I hadnt enjoyed it. I still however really enjoy horses, always have and always will. When I sold my riding horse back to her original owner I was down to my one pony. This is her life home and im looking to add 2 additional mini's to the farm. But then I get to thinking, what an odd # and im leaning to eventually having 4 all together. However 3 may work out just fine...but I was certainly curious as to others experiences and thoughts
default_smile.png
...What an interesting topic! I hope people keep posting their thoughts on the subject!

I'm quite anal the way my horses are kept. Stall have to be cleaned daily and have fresh bedding. They have to be groomed daily also and clipped up nicely! I mean, why have them if you're going to let them live in slop and look like crap and have no time for individual attention? When my herd got to 18 I almost lost my mind, stayed sick a lot, and just could not keep them up to my standards. Not to mention that training went out the window, and that's a biggy for me too.

Now I am down to five & my old quarter horse and that's where its going to remain and that's still a lot for me. I'm so looking forward to getting my round pen back up this spring and doing some quality training.

I have 11 equines on my place right now.

2 ponies

2 leased minis that are going back

1 horse, friends that is moving soon to a boarding barn. Was here recouping after surgery

1 donkey, friends while they bought a new farm and get fences up

5 minis - mine.

I am very busy right now, decided to go back to college and I'm working full time. The family is pitching in and helping with chores. I still try to get out to see everyone daily. There isn't a lot of training going on right now mainly because of the cold and snow. By the end of March I will start back into it and get the 2 ponies driving for hubby. One drives now and the other needs to be trained. I have 3 of my minis driving and one of the leased minis driving. We have 2 foals (unexpected) confirmed for April foaling and one that might be in foal. Hasn't had a noticeable heat since August. I don't think that I'd want more than this on my plate. It would be too hard for the family that is covering for me right now.

Latest posts

Back