Ft. Worth Stock show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdmomjb

Reaction score
Hi all It's been a while sence I posted. Been lurking but didn't have much to say.

That is untill this weekend.

Two of my frineds are Llama folks and wanted to see the show at Ft. Worth Thursday Friday and Saturday and attend to sale on Friday night. So off the Ft. Worth we go with my trailor in tow.

We get to the show early on Thursday and really have a good time. Picking who we thought would be the winner in each class. Then off to the stable area to look over the sale Llamas. Friday back to the show and then to the exhibet hall to look at all the neet farm supplies. Would you like a new truck tractor or fence it was all there. Friday night the auction was a blast with Flora pruchasing the high price animal. I thought Tina and I would have to knock her out before it was over. At one pont during the bidding Flora growled "He's ticked me of now. But in the end she had her girl. What a sweet girl and may stay small enough to be reg as a mini llama.
default_biggrin.png

Now for the fun???? part of the trip.
default_wacko.png
I dont spend much time at the Stock show so the strange little rules did not sink in with watching the stock come in during the first days we were there. Sat morning I arrive at the Hurley gate with trailer in tow to pick up the Llamas we purchased the day before. I am asked if I have any stock in the trailer which needs a health check. No I reply. I am asked are you sure you dont have anything in there. No I am here to Pick up the Llamas we purchased last night. He yells LLAMAS YOU DONT BRING LLAMAS THROUGH THIS GATE THEY GO TO some gate I didn't know about. YOU CANT BRING LLAMAS THROUGH HERE WE TAKE EVERY THING BUT LLAMAS AND HORSES. Ok, I dont have any now can I get through the gate. There was quite a bit more grumbling from this butt$ and then we were allowed in. I go to the barn across from the cattle barns and pick up the Llamas and Flora wants to get a couple of bails of oat straw to bed them in so across to the cattle barn we go to pay for it.

We get back to the truck to find some man telling my other frined that we have been there over 5 min and must move the truck. I'm glad that we only had to pick up 4 Llamas and that they didn't give us any trouble as it would have taken quite a bit of extra time. Llamas can be a real pain if they dont want to load. So I jump in and think that I will drive to the other end of the cattle barns loop arround the back and pick up the straw from the feed area. Wrong!! I get to the far end of the road and there is a one way sign on the road to the back of the cattle barns. No problem I'll swing the trailer around the ticket booth and go up the road we came in on. WRONG. I pull up to the booth and explain to the nice brain dead man that I need to turn my truck arround, arround his booth. He starts in if your leaving I need your health papers. I explain that I'm not leaving I just need to turn arround. Well this was beond his ability to understand. I needed to give him my health papers before I could leave but I could not come right back in as I would not have health papers to get in with having just handed them to him. :DOH! Long discussion and I am allowed to circle his booth. back down the road I go to the feed store. Road 2 to get behind the cattle barns is also one way out only.
default_new_shocked.gif

Pull up to the out booth on the far end from the last out booth and explain my problem. The nice man says no problem just go to the Hurley gate and pull back in. HURLEY gate remember the first problem just getting an empty trailer which would hold the dreaded Llamas when I left. Nice man called Hurley gate and told them to let me in.

Ok I'm back at Hurley gate (I will never enter that gate again this side of HECK). The gate is blocked and a different man comes out the the gate house to let me in. I tell him that I am comming back in to pick up bedding for the Llamas. LLAMAS YOU CANT BRING LLAMS IN THIS GATE ........same old spill.

I tell the man that the other gate called and explained that I was to be let in to pick up bedding. Well here comes first man telling the other that he has been called to let me in. The procedes to chew me out that I should have picked up bedding before hooking to the trailer that I caused him a lot of work. And that I am the same one that he told not to use this gate earler
default_smileypuke.gif

Yes sir he had to pick up the phone and open a gate. Well the llamas are home and I will forever wonder if there are any Texas men that can acutally think.
default_no.gif

Next time one of the others will have to drive or You may have to send me letters in Jail

Jan

So much nicer to be there for World - stock show people are not always understanding! The first time we showed at the stock show there, I did not realize I needed a release slip to get horses out. It was late, office was closed or closing, and the gate guy pretty much told me if couldn't produce said release slip I would have to unload and spend the night until the office opened in the morning. We were just about to blows I think, until I finally tracked someone down who could write me a release......based of course on just what I told him I was taking, nothing else. So in the long run, I could have said I was taking 10 horses out instead of my 4, and loaded up.
default_wacko.png

Gate guys at World are almost always good, and easy to get along with.

Jan

Latest posts

Back