Founder & Laminitis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN Belle

Reaction score
My mini donkey and mini horse has been out on the grass for a few hours now each day for the past two weeks since they are home, except the muddy days. Sunday, they were out for about four hours and then I brought them back in and all was fine, they got their grain and hay and stood stuffed in their stalls.

Monday morning, the donkey has major cow patties and his front feet are really warm and he picked through the hay, wich is unusual as he never skips a straw and he was covered in shavings from either rolling or scratching his back. The horse was just fine, a tad warm in his feet, but no loose stools at all and he cleaned up his hay. They still both seemed eager to move around and not too sore.

Monday night, they are both the same as that morning with the donkey having more patties, but drinking and moving good. Now this morning, the donkey has firmed up alot, but not normal yet, and his feet feel cooler than they first did on Monday and he still has not cleaned up his hay and the horse is perfectly fine.

Do you think it may have been too much grass, something in the grass, something in the hay? How long does it take for laminitis to show up? How long does a little laminitis inflamation last? What point do I need to worry and get a vet? I have seen some grass lamanitis before when the horse gets really ouchy and won't move for days or weeks, but neither have done that yet.

Do you know how to feel for a digital pulse ?

It's cold where you are so feet will feel warm without laminitis.

Something happened with the donkey, but what ? You may never know. Could he/she have too much sand in it's system ?

ANYWAY, the best way to check for laminitis is by feeling the digital pulse. It will be more pronounced in a hoof with inflammation. It's also the way to check for an abscess. If the pulse is pounding, you have a problem. Some horses it's easier to feel than others. Compare the pulse in the front feet to the hind feet.

If you've never done this before, you check the pulse just below the fetlock joint in the pastern area. Thumb on one side of the leg and middle finger on the other side.

Good luck,

Vickie

No, I haven't tried that yet. I had been feeling their feet since the first day they got home and started eating grass and they had been fine. Almost cold, nothing to really notice there. So when he started these issues, I felt again and they were noticeably warm, I eben check both hands and all four feet, with the back one much cooler than the front.

Thanks for the info about the digital pulse, don't remember that one. I need to get a horse first aid book and kit together as I always relied on the previous's barn supplies.

Well, as of last night, it looks like all is well again and the donkey's feet feel fine, not cold or warm.

I tried to feel this didgital pulse and it was either so weak I couldn't tell, or I wasn't in the right area. I checked all eight legs between the two of them, and all around both sides and the back. I do feel a small ridge perfectly in the middle of the inside pastern area, but never felt a pulse. I can feel another ridge on the outside pastern, but it tends to move, so that may be a tendon or something. What is amazing is that the horse has ringbone real bad in one leg and as much as we've messed with that lag and hoof, I have never felt it. What am I doing wrong?

Latest posts

Back