For those with business websites!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candi

Reaction score
We're redoing our business plan - company name - etc - and with that doing a new website.

I've always used Dreamweaver and done my own HTML etc- but I don't have the time for that - and honestly don't need that intense of a site this time around.

So.... question to those of you with websites - who do you use? Homestead, Intuit, Webs, etc?

I need 5+G space - unlimited pages - good selection of templates (that can be modified) - reliable hosting - and most important for $7/LESS a month ($100/year).

I'm hoping that someone will answer your question. I, too, would like to know the best program to use. I currently pay someone to do my website, but I would like to have control over it and make my own changes. I know this was discussed here not too long ago. I tried to do a 'search' on it, but I never could get anything to come up.

Pam

I'm hoping that someone will answer your question. I, too, would like to know the best program to use. I currently pay someone to do my website, but I would like to have control over it and make my own changes. I know this was discussed here not too long ago. I tried to do a 'search' on it, but I never could get anything to come up.

Pam
Yes, I searched 1st too... hoping to get responses. I've signedup through Homestead - only to cancel my "order" same day. Have a webs.com account - haven't upgraded to paid service yet as I HATE their templates...

I use and recommend Yahoo! sitebuilder and Yahoo hosting. Easy to build and maintain and you get into Yahoo/Google search very quickly. They have some hosting specials going on right now.

You get your .com name free plus tons of email addresses that end in your .com name.

You do not have to use their templates (I dont use them)

Kay

I already have my domain name and currently have a website. I just want to change it some and do it myself instead of someone else doing it. But I'm not sure how to go about starting a new one with the same domain name. Does anyone know how to do that, or do I need to cancel the current website? I have looked at Intuit and Coffee Cup. I'll take a look at Yahoo too. Thanks!

Pam

Pam

All you do is transer the .com to the new host. It takes 24 to 48 hours for it to go through. You just fill out the transfer form where ever you bought your .com name and put in the new hosts server numbers. The new host will supply you with the numbers to type in.

I always advise people to keep the same .com name.

Kay

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Weebly. Just signed up for the free account, has tons of templates and super simple to use. Then I went to GoDaddy and bought my domain, followed the tutorial on Weebly on transferring the domain and it was simple and quick. Just go to www.weebly.com and read about it and see if you like it.

I used Weebly. Just signed up for the free account, has tons of templates and super simple to use. Then I went to GoDaddy and bought my domain, followed the tutorial on Weebly on transferring the domain and it was simple and quick. Just go to www.weebly.com and read about it and see if you like it.
That's who I decided to go with! Can't believe how EASY it was to use! I know html though and was able to do my own scripts too!

Hi Candi,

We pay for a domain site with a yearly fee with GoDaddy and we use Ipswitch as our File tranfer. I do all the work..it's a little time consuming, but worth it I think...to get what you want without all the ads on top or bottom that are quite bothersome I feel! GoDaddy is only $20.00 per year and Ipswitch is about $30.00 per year! Hope that helps and Good Luck! Your business is all that you put into it
default_yes.gif

My best and Blessings,

Jenny

I have used GoDaddy.com for years and I also use their, Web Site Tonight, web builder. Would highly recommend them, they are easy to work with, have never had problems with my site.

Pam

All you do is transer the .com to the new host. It takes 24 to 48 hours for it to go through. You just fill out the transfer form where ever you bought your .com name and put in the new hosts server numbers. The new host will supply you with the numbers to type in.

I always advise people to keep the same .com name.

Kay

Thank you so much for the information, Kay! Maybe I can have my 'new' site up and running by spring!

Pam

I have farm (www.whinny4me.com) and professional (www.smart-money.net) websites. The farm one, I do myself using a combination of programs but primarily "just" Netscape Composer. I pay about $20/mo for the hosting through Earthlink and have had it hosted by them for many years. My professional website, I hired a design company to create and maintain it for me and it costs considerably more than my farm site... but then my profession is what really what keeps me in horses and everything else
default_smile.png

Good luck!

PS Shoot! I just checked and my professional website that I pay "enough" for has the wrong disclosure at the bottom. Glad I read this thread... When they updated it for me, I wasn't able to see well enough to thoroughly proof it and had assumed they fixed something that they didn't actually fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful using "free hosting" sites. Many (not all but many) put spyware on the pages that attaches to people that view your site. Other ones put ads on your site. Honestly I click off when I see its a free site as I cant stand tracking software etc. Most hosting packages are only 10-15.00 a month which is a good investment in having a professional looking site to sell your horses. You can usually tell by looking down in the left hand corner of your computer and it will show the tracking software and the free domain site name etc.

Be careful using "free hosting" sites. Many (not all but many) put spyware on the pages that attaches to people that view your site. Other ones put ads on your site. Honestly I click off when I see its a free site as I cant stand tracking software etc. Most hosting packages are only 10-15.00 a month which is a good investment in having a professional looking site to sell your horses. You can usually tell by looking down in the left hand corner of your computer and it will show the tracking software and the free domain site name etc.
That was part of why I disliked webs.com and homestead so much. There are no ads through weebly- and no tracking software (in their TOS). After I get all the "tweaking" done I'll upgrade to a monthly plan.

here's the site "as-is" right now... http://cwcoloredperformancehorses.weebly.com/index.html

Now where near done but getting there

Latest posts

Back