For those who have used Foal Proof Pregnancy Tests

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rauchmini's

Reaction score
Hi for those you have used and like Foal Proof Pregnancy tests and would like to be added on my website for our testimonials page with your farm name and link we would love to hear from you, our email is [email protected] we are putting the pages up within the next few days. Thank you Lynne Rauch Distributor

I might be interested in buying one or two.. Do you have a place on your website with information and prices? or could you email me?

Thanks!

Hi Lynn, we have used the tests and they were 100% accurate. We have tested 7 mares, I believe. I am anxious for the new "urine pregnancy tests" to be available.

I tested 4 mares. That I thought were not preg but I was selling them and wanted to be honest if they were preg or not. It was accurate. All were negative and came in to heat this spring.

I have one test left to use.

The only draw back I have had on the test is I wish they didnt have to be so far along to use it.

Barb

Hi Lucky C Acres I sent you a email
default_yes.gif
: Barb I knew you have used it before too Glad you like it ! Would love to ad your opinions on my site.

Thanks Nancy for letting us know and I would love to your experience on my site. I got all my test kits yesterday for the urine tests. I will be sure to post and let everyone know the outcome and when they will be available to order them through me. I don't want to make this a big plug for myself but if anyone would like to order the blood tests you can email me directly at [email protected] here is some info listed below on the test I also wanted to mention a centrifuge is not needed but if you are like me and use them frequently you can buy a cheap centerfuge on ebay for around $20.00 (a centrifuge spins the blood in seconds)

Advantages of 'Foal-Proof'

'Foal-Proof' provides peace of mind. Now it is easy to verify pregnancy status from 120 days after breeding right through to the expected time of foaling. We suggest that pregnant mares be re-examined 5 to 7 months after first being diagnosed pregnant, so that pregnancy status can be verified and managed accordingly.

'Foal-Proof' does not suffer the problem of 'false positive' diagnoses seen with other biochemical pregnancy tests where mares that have lost their pregnancy are still diagnosed as pregnant. In the event of foetal loss, production of pregnancy specific steroids ceases and their metabolites in maternal blood quickly disappear, thereby resulting in a 'not pregnant' diagnosis when tested by 'Foal-Proof'.

Serum Test Kit Components

Each individual 'Foal-Proof' test kit is contained within a sealed aluminum foil pouch.

The sealed kit consists of:

Test membrane enclosed in a plastic cassette.

A small plastic pipette for dispensing the serum/plasma sample.

Desiccant pack to maximize the shelf-life of the test kit.

A detailed instruction sheet is provided with the test kit.

kit-1.jpg

Running a Foal-Proof Test

First, collect a blood sample from the test mare and prepare serum or plasma.

d.jpg

Do not run the test using whole blood.

Run the test at room temperature and in a well-lighted area.

Allow sample and test pack to reach room temperature before performing the test.

Remove the test cassette and plastic pipette from the foil pack just before use, and lay on a flat, clean, white surface.

Squeeze the upper bulb of the pipette, and draw enough serum/plasma into the pipette to fill the stem completely. (0.1 ml will fill the stem, and any overdrawn amount will go into the lower bulb reservoir).

Slowly discharge the sample drop by drop from the pipette stem into the round sample well of the cassette by gently squeezing the upper bulb (any excess fluid from the draw will remain in the reservoir). Allow the sample to soak into the absorbent pad in the well between drops.

Once a few drops have been added to the sample well, the serum/plasma will start to flow along the membrane in the cassette window. Continue adding drops of sample until the leading edge of the fluid is 3/4 of the way along the membrane, i.e., has reached the 'C' mark on the plastic housing. This requires 0.1 to 0.2 ml sample, and so a little more than one pipette stem full of sample may be needed.

Do not flood the sample well by adding too much sample, or adding it too quickly.

kit2.jpg

Wait for 5 to 20 minutes.

The test result will generally be obvious within 5 minutes, but occasionally it may take up to 20 minutes for the result to form.

Positive Negative

kit3.jpg

Interpreting the result

An intense, red line clearly visible appearing in the window close to the 'C' mark, together with a visible red dot, which may vary from faint to intense, appearing in the window close to the 'T' mark.

Negative result indicating not pregnant

A single, intense red line clearly visible, appearing in the window close to the 'C' mark (see side panel for example).

Positive result indicating pregnant

Please Note

At least 120 days should have elapsed since breeding services before a 'Foal-Proof' test is run. It is not recommended to use 'Foal-Proof' earlier than this.

Mares that are less than 120 days pregnant may not have sufficiently elevated blood concentrations of pregnancy specific steroid metabolites to return a positive 'Foal-Proof' test result, and an equivocal or false negative diagnosis may result.

Non-veterinarians should consult with their veterinarian about blood sampling the mare, and the preparation of serum or plasma.

If a centrifuge to spin the blood sample is not available out in the field, blood will separate by itself if left to stand 30-45 minutes in a cool area.

Limitations and Warranty

The Foal-Proof test is designed as a diagnostic aid for determining pregnancy status in horses. There are no warranties, expressed, implied or otherwise indicated, which extend beyond this description. Reproductive Technologies, AgResearch Ltd., FoalProof Equine or any of the distributors are not liable for property damage, personal or horse injury, or economic loss caused by this product.

Warranty is limited to replacement of a defective/non-functional test within 30 days, with written explanation and return of the defective test.

Latest posts

Back