For Those Of You +/- 40yo and Older

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
You probably have to be my age or older to remember and appreciate this "joke" or "brainteaser".

It goes something like:

[SIZE=12pt]A boy is seriously injured in an accident and when he is taken by ambulance to the hospital, the surgeon says "I cannot operate on this boy, he is my son." The surgeon is not the boy's father, who is the surgeon?[/SIZE]

NOW, these days, the obvious answer is that the surgeon is the boy's mother. However, and if you're my age you may remember what a brainteaser it was... back then, you just didn't think a surgeon could be a woman and not many people "solved" the puzzle.

It sounds crazy now, even to me, and I remember as a kid not understanding who could the surgeon be!

For those of you who remember, I just wanted to bring it up and to contrast it with our world today. We have a woman candidate for the Nation's Vice President and another woman who nearly was the Democratic Presidential Nominee. The current Democratic Presidential nominee who is African American.

I heard a comedian remark that the only time he'd ever seen a woman or an African American as President, a meteor was heading toward the earth (as in, only in sci-fi movies). That struck me funny because it was actually true.

Though probably most of you know which direction I lean politically, it is very uplifting to me that the things above aren't just a possibility but are our actuality.

We've come a long way, and in a short period of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very true and I did remember the brainteaser. I also could not figure out who it could be. Like you said, now a lot of people would get the answer a lot quicker than they would have years ago.
default_smile.png

We've come a long way, and in a short period of time.
Have you ever read any of the Alan Toffler books like, Future Shock, Third Wave and Power Shift? Old books but they explain a lot of where we are today.

Neil, I did read Future Shock but it's been so long ago. I recently read another book, by someone who obviiously read Future Shock
default_laugh.png
I think it was called Flash Point, but will have to find my copy to be sure.

Neil, I did read Future Shock but it's been so long ago. I recently read another book, by someone who obviiously read Future Shock
default_laugh.png
I think it was called Flash Point, but will have to find my copy to be sure.
Toffler wrote a series of books on the Future Schock line. The were all good and explained a lot to me and helped me understand the change we face in the future. I can't say that I had heard of Flash Point. Do you know who the author is?

Mark Mattson (Matson?). It was required reading for a program of his I enrolled in
default_laugh.png
(not a bad book but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're in business with him)
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back