Foals, birth to sell,,,,,,Average

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
When there are threads that ask how much a foal is worth, pedigree, color, etc. I always wonder when someone says a horse with a not so good pedigree is worth maybe $750,(example) is the person responding considering what it cost to even have the foal here.

What does it cost you, from birth to sell,,,,,,,we'll just say it's being sold.

If it ends up being $1000, does that make a difference when you price it, and do you just expect to lose money? Do you pay yourself for time?

Some things to consider, cost for mare while in foal and her care,,,,,cost when the foal is born, especially if you usually call a vet out,,,,,,,,cost to care for mare and foal, if you pay yourself,,,,,,,cost to register said foal,,,,,shots,,,,foal kit,,,,,add in whatever other expenses you have that you do each time,,,,,,,,to give us an average.

Please list all you are including in your total average cost for a foal born to you.

And when selling, do you look at this cost???

Good question...I don't breed any so I don't have an answer, so I'm just bumping this up to see if anyone has it figured out.

Well I find I give foal shots myself that cost $20.00 and they are on pasture with Mom after 1 week in doors, come in at night, eat side by side Mom, who gets broodmare feed mixed with Frisky foal feed. Mostly feeding off mom. Dewormed ever month, and handled a lot.

They are gone by 4 months old. So far I have been very lucky, only kept one over the winter for someone and they took him in May after their barn was built. They paid board and care after he was 4 months old.

So far that is what has happen with us, but only been breeding Minis for 3 years now.

I am sure cost alot more for some. :eek: Hubby thinks we just do this for fun. I keep saying we are making money. Well maybe, well sometimes, well maybe not...

Last edited by a moderator:
It has cost me as little as 500 and as much as 2500 to raise a foal from coception to weaning. I talke into consideration this as well as the potential of the foal based on pedigree, show record of parents and the foals suitability for show or, if I deem it to be pet quality. Even if a foal cost me a considerable amount but I dont feel the foal is ring worthy, I just take a loss on that one and price it to sell to the pet population around 1000. if it has show potential, wether it cost me 500 or 5000 to raise it I put a show horse price on it and dont sell it till I get it.

I dont ever have a surplus of foals.... no ad for "have to sell to make room for new babies...." I have never had any hold overs but if I did I wouldnt breed that year.

Lyn

I figure it costs me a minimum of $700 to maintain the mare while the foal is "percolating" as well as the time the foal is at her side. Then if there are NO problems (i.e., no vet calls) I figure the newborn up to the age of 4 months is going to cost me

$15 AMHA regis.

$41 DNA/PQ

$20 AMHR regis

$50 minimum 2 farrier trims - usually $75

$ 8 worming

$15 2 vaccinations

$50 feed - grain / hay etc

$199

$700 cost of maintaining mare

EQUALS MINIMUM OF $899 to raise a foal to the age of 4 months....that is....if no vet calls!! Add to that the cost of coggins $22 plus health cert for the foal to be transported to new home.....you are looking at minimum expense of $945.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just counting feed, vet, deworming, shots, and upkeep of a pregnant mare, I calculate my costs at $300 during non-drought years. This is because of having abundant grass in the pasture to offset the additional costs of hay.

During drought years, the cost is double.

Doesn't really matter how you price them, the market is going to bring what the market is going to bring. If I'm having a drought, then most everybody else in my state is likely having a drought too. Those folks aren't going to pay more during drought years any more than I would. Its a fact of farming life.

Since I do all of my own farrier work, most of my expences come mostly down to the registration fees, worming, and all the care that goes into the mare, -(which is my biggest expence.) My mares are on pasture, with their foals right now, but the grass is still not producing all the green that they need,- so I do suppliment with burmuda hay, also making sure that they get their 12 -12 minerals, seperate salt, and daily mare care suppliments.

Good ?

I was think about 600.00.

Vet 200

Farrier 40

Food for mare 300

Worming 10

fees all depending 50

I usually sell the fillies/colts for 650.00

As I lost my first foal a month before her due date but still had the related costs I'm figuring...

$9500 as those are my real costs on my first foal.

That includes mare care shots, worming, feed, stud fee etc and vet bills related to mare care and the delivery of a dead foal, complications in the mare resulting from that delivery and the loss of being able to ever breed the mare again in the future - a very well conformed, well bred mare (and not cheep) purchased as a broodmare.

I think every breeder has to count in unforseen expenses like this because sadly they are the reality of breeding. :no:

What about the STALLION costs? Isn't there a stallion involved here somewhere??? Maybe you didn't pay a stud fee but if you keep a stallion, don't you have to figure in his cost? And if you are running this as a business, you would be depreciating the cost of the mare. The foal really costs a LOT more than just the cost to feed, register, and maintain it for 4 months until it is weaned. Does anyone actually make money raising minis?

What about the STALLION costs? Isn't there a stallion involved here somewhere??? Maybe you didn't pay a stud fee but if you keep a stallion, don't you have to figure in his cost? And if you are running this as a business, you would be depreciating the cost of the mare. The foal really costs a LOT more than just the cost to feed, register, and maintain it for 4 months until it is weaned. Does anyone actually make money raising minis?
Excellent point Targetsmom. So far, I've only heard of one person who says they make their living off raising minis but I don't think even he has really evaluated the costs of raising one to sale age to the minutia. People often forget to factor in the cost of having/running their facilities, no matter how humble, let alone their time even at minimum wage as to do that will highlight the actual profit or loss. I'm a firm believer in the quip, if you want to make a million dollars raising horses start with two million.
default_wink.png
:

Last edited:
Please list all you are including in your total average cost for a foal born to you.And when selling, do you look at this cost???
The accumulated costs has nothing to do with the sale price of a foal. It is not the buyers fault that the seller had to put more money into getting that foal on the ground.. We price our foals based mainly on if we want to keep it or not.............. In the past & again this year someone is going to get a good price on foals especially if they can offer a good home as we are cutting back on our mini's.

Back