Foal Show Halters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
So, our first *official* show for Ale is around the 20th of July (23rd or 22nd...) and I'm trying to decide what halter for her to wear. Its only in a small FFA/4H county fair show and they don't care as long as the horse is neat and well mannered to be honest, but I want a halter that will show her off.

Tonight, I was looking at her while she wore her nylon halter. It was too clunky for her. I would never show a horse in a nylon halter but its about the same thickness as our actual foal show halter, which is leather. The leather halter wouldn't accent her very well. Its too thick and clunky.

So, I'm wondering if you guys could suggest a link or two for me. I'm looking for a cable style foal halter that is AFFORDABLE. The halter would only be used in 1-5 shows. Tops.

Thanks! I honestly don't know where to look, lol.

-Julia

EDIT: So, Ale has a fairly feminine head for her breeding.

Here she is in her nylon halter. (The leather halter is THICK! lol)

225868_110305042389380_100002296543466_105537_1241765_n.jpg

And her with nothing:

229196_109318952487989_100002296543466_95765_5776239_n.jpg

You can tell that I need something small and slender so that nothing masks her little head like the nylon and leather do.

The Quicksilver halters are excellent value for a "one off" show like this but, please, line the nose and, if possible, the whole head- the lead that comes with them is just right for doing this. Also, I would never use a show chain on a foal, however well trained it is. If they panic the chain works against control, not for it. In fact I never use a chain anyway, but that is an entirely different thing altogether!

The Quicksilver halters are excellent value for a "one off" show like this but, please, line the nose and, if possible, the whole head- the lead that comes with them is just right for doing this. Also, I would never use a show chain on a foal, however well trained it is. If they panic the chain works against control, not for it. In fact I never use a chain anyway, but that is an entirely different thing altogether!

what do you mean by 'line the nose and the whole head' and 'excellent value for a "one off" show'? just curious
default_smile.png

and she could just buy a chin strap from Ozark if she doesnt wanna use a chain. they dont cost much.

what do you mean by 'line the nose and the whole head'
I would imagine its cos they are quite thin which are harsh on a horse`s face?

Im not a fan of the quick silver halters. I had one a few years ago as my first show halter for a yearling gelding I had, and it broke easily. For about the same price you can get one of the royal king show halters, which I think are a lot nicer, and sturdier.

you can find them for about $25 and thats the halter, 2 conchos, a throat latch chain and a show lead You can get the colored noseband, or basic black. I keep them as back up halters because you cant beat them for the price, and Ive tried lots of halters trying to save a buck.

Im not a fan of the quick silver halters. I had one a few years ago as my first show halter for a yearling gelding I had, and it broke easily. For about the same price you can get one of the royal king show halters, which I think are a lot nicer, and sturdier.

you can find them for about $25 and thats the halter, 2 conchos, a throat latch chain and a show lead You can get the colored noseband, or basic black. I keep them as back up halters because you cant beat them for the price, and Ive tried lots of halters trying to save a buck.

really? all i've used so far is Quicksilver show halters. so far i havent had one break, i'll have to check out those Royal King halters though!

They are very thin and, potentially, very harsh- the nose needs to be lined or you can actually end up with a line where the beads are.

As a foal showing halter I think they are good value- I have a couple that I use for pictures and things and I used one of the foals halters on a yearling as it was the only one I had that fitted, but I would not use one on a regular basis, not even lined (as I have done with mine).

I have not had one break yet, but a friend has- they are not as robust as the slightly more expensive ones, it cannot be denied. But if you want something that costs little and you are only going to use it a couple of time, these will do.

That being said I got a very nice, made to measure, foal size halter for afore mentioned yearling colt, at a show the other day, for only slightly more than the Quicksilver, plus no postage either- it cost, if I remember right, $35.00, which I thought good value, and is definitely better made.

Here's a link to the Royal King Halters-never tried them though. Where can you get them for $25 ? On amazon they are $45+ for the Arabian style

My link

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt realize I was allowed to link external websites, but I saw them brand new on ebay yesterday for $25, all sizes and colors. When I got mine they were at double diamond for $35, but they no longer carry them.

They are very thin and, potentially, very harsh- the nose needs to be lined or you can actually end up with a line where the beads are.

As a foal showing halter I think they are good value- I have a couple that I use for pictures and things and I used one of the foals halters on a yearling as it was the only one I had that fitted, but I would not use one on a regular basis, not even lined (as I have done with mine).

I have not had one break yet, but a friend has- they are not as robust as the slightly more expensive ones, it cannot be denied. But if you want something that costs little and you are only going to use it a couple of time, these will do.

That being said I got a very nice, made to measure, foal size halter for afore mentioned yearling colt, at a show the other day, for only slightly more than the Quicksilver, plus no postage either- it cost, if I remember right, $35.00, which I thought good value, and is definitely better made.

i never use one with beads on the nose. IMO, if you have beads on the nose you might as well have a chain on the nose instead.

at least we can agree on something
default_laugh.png
:OKinteresting

Latest posts

Back