foal feeding question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gracie

Reaction score
Ok is this normal ??? last time my mare had a oal 2 years ago she refused to feed baby for the first 4 days then she took over,

This time shes decided to feed BUT<, about over half the time she refuses to let baby nurse and gets mean about it, we have there stall web cammed onto our 64 inch tv and we watch her, mama will actually body slam baby into the wall so she will stop trying to nurse, baby keep strying and trying and gets slammed repeatedly into the wall,

then after baby gives up takes a nap mama MAy or May not let he reat the next time, is this normal?????

Also mama ONLY allows baby to nurse from her left side NEVER the right she will slam her bite her whatever,

Baby's IGg came out great so she has the stuf fshe needed but Im concerned with the not wanting baby to nurse but when mom feels like it, she also bites the baby in the hock while she does nurse interrupting her alot baby has twice now said enough and kicked mom in the head,

Is her udder really full and tight?? IF so she may be in pain and that could be why she wont let the foal nurse much. Last year flirt was really in pain so we gave her a shot of banamine, milked her out some to relieve the pressure and then she started letting tease nurse. No problems from then on out. For sure check her udder to see if something is going on

I would NOT let her slam that baby into the wall. She could accidentally hurt that foal.

Most mares will bite at the foals hocks or bottom to encourage them to nurse

Have you talked to your vet?

One thing to consider is not all mares are good broodmares. For me what makes a great broodmare is her ability to conceive, carry to term and then mother her foal. If a mare shows me that she cannot do these things then I would probably stop breeding her.

Definitely check you're mare - she may have mastitis if you say she's not allowing him to nurse from one side, if is painful. If she's really being that rough, I would look for a reason. Mares as a rule are not abusive to their foals like you are describing.

Kay is right though - not all mares are good broodmares. Personally if a mare needs assistance to get in foal and/or stay in foal or cannot be a good mom (common sense, good milk) stop breeding her!

I'm not meaning you're mare in particular just in general.

Definitely check you're mare - she may have mastitis if you say she's not allowing him to nurse from one side, if is painful. If she's really being that rough, I would look for a reason. Mares as a rule are not abusive to their foals like you are describing.

Kay is right though - not all mares are good broodmares. Personally if a mare needs assistance to get in foal and/or stay in foal or cannot be a good mom (common sense, good milk) stop breeding her!

I'm not meaning you're mare in particular just in general.
I agree with both Kay and Michelle......

Check your mare's bag for heat, how tight she is on each side, and what her milk looks like. She may be TRYING to be a good mom, but also reacting to the pain.

shes full and tight for sure I know she shurting and I shouldnt say SLAM baby into the wall more like pinning her, Baby isnt getting hurt and mama is a fabby mom very protective of her girl,

I think she sjust so sore, Ok I will milk he ragain and relive some more pressure babies definately eating well,

Thanks All

Her bag being full is a big clue. Its very painful for a mare if her bag stays full as anyone who has breast fed can attest to LOL

You know a foal is nursing enough when the mares bag stays nice and soft. If her bag stays full and tight the foal is not eating enough. ITs also harder for the foal to nurse when the bag is tight and full

Can you give her some banamine for pain relief??

Be sure to milk some out and get the pressure off her

Sending good wishes

Holding warm cloths to the mare's udder can help her pain as well, sometimes I do that first to get the mare and her udder relaxed before milking her a bit to relieve the pain. You may have to do that several times a day at first, but it shouldn't take long for her milk to regulate.
default_smile.png
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back