Flying/Pilots license

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhea

Reaction score
I'm look at career options right now, and I'm very seriously intrigued with the prospect of becoming a pilot. Is anyone a pilot that could give me their opinions of flying as a profession and also a hobby? (I'm getting my Private Pilots License anyways, but would love to talk to anyone who flies even for fun.)
default_saludando.gif

Thanks!

My brother in law has his pilot's license but it's for ultra lights. I don't think he's got one for "regular" planes. He also used to be a hang glider instructor.

I am an Air Traffic Controller with a private pilots license. There is no way on God's green earth that I'd go into any career in the aviation field right now. Pilots make crap right now and it will cost you over $50,000 to get all your ratings to be a commercial pilot. Not to mention, right now the skies are in total chaos because of the shortage of controllers...if you've got that much money to put into school, I'd set my sights somewhere else than being a pilot. pm me if you want more info...

If you just want to get your pilots license for fun...just a vfr rating, then go for it...but I can gaurantee you won't be flying much because of the cost of avfuel right now, it's ridiculous.

Dont' want to discourage you, but research very carefully..the skies are not somewhere I'd choose to be right now...believe me I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI!

My husband is a private pilot with many friends that fly as a career and/or for pleasure. I've realized that flying is his passion. As with most any hobby one can make it expensive or keep it as reasonable as possible.

We enjoy participating in the "Young Eagles Program" which introduces children, ages 8 to 17 to general aviation by giving them a free airplane ride. This we do for the sole purpose to encourage youth to consider flying for pleasure or a possible career in aviation. Follow your passion and see where it leads!
default_thumbup.gif

Feel free to PM us!

Blue Skies!

Linda

My husband Carl is a private pilot (vfr only) although he hasn't flown now for some years.

We enjoyed it immensely flying our little restored 1946 Ercoupe 415C which he restored..did a lot of "Dawn Patrols" and fly-ins and we're in clubs..

but like Sonja said it's all different now. AV gas is outrageous, and forget insurance rates, ..so sorry to say it.

I worry that the time is past for puddle jumping' , grass runways and flying as a hobby unless perhaps you can hook up with someone else to share the cost with.

Good luck, Maxine

My yougest son just got his private license last May. He was in college for flight operations to become commercial pilot. $50,000 plus for first year. He changed majors over the summer to business. He may go for commercial after graduating. The college painted a very rosie picture in 4-6 years for pilots, of couse what else would perspective students and parents want to hear. They also left out the $$$$$ extra that you will get charged for over the year for flight expenses that go over budget.

Check into things very carefully. Check with very recent grads for some answers.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back