Flip Flops at the Nationals?!?!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I certainly can understand if the girl was asked at the last minute to fill in. After all, even the dress was borrowed.

THANKS TO HER for her HARD work and filling in on the spur of the moment!!!!

Not judging the girl at all considering the circumstances.
I totally agree. She took time out of her own show to stand in the arena for long hours passing out ribbons and to thank her for that she gets picked apart on the forum
default_no.gif

I totally agree. She took time out of her own show to stand in the arena for long hours passing out ribbons and to thank her for that she gets picked apart on the forum
default_no.gif
i agree who are we to talk down on this girl who i'm sure most of us don't even know. I think flip flops look a heck of a lot better then boots with a dress, and a lot more comfy for her too.

not to mention that flip flops can get really fancy these days, I've seen brides wear them on their wedding day (all day).

default_no.gif
i agree who are we to talk down on this girl who i'm sure most of us don't even know. I think flip flops look a heck of a lot better then boots with a dress, and a lot more comfy for her too.

not to mention that flip flops can get really fancy these days, I've seen brides wear them on their wedding day (all day).

I have been here sence day one this girl was asked at he last min to fill in because he person that was going to do I did not show up so I think she did a great job. I dont know if I would do it knowing I was to be all over the internet. WE should not talk about thinks we know nothing about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People need to think before they speak did any one think about the feelings of the girl they are grinding in the ground, I think some should say sorry to this girl and thank her for her FREE time she put In.

People need to think before they speak did any one think about the feelings of the girl they are grinding in the ground, I think some should say sorry to this girl and thank her for her FREE time she put In.
default_yes.gif
I agree.

[SIZE=12pt]Just my two cents
default_smile.png
...... This is a National Show. For some, getting their picture taken as a National or reserve National Champion is a once in a life time experience and therefore I feel the photo, and the presentaion in general should be handled with dignity and class and the show ring staff should reflect that in their choice of dress.[/SIZE]
default_yes.gif

My opinion is given not to put anyone in particular down, I think perhaps the individuals putting on the National Show should review and revisit their dress code to make it as appropriate (and comfortable) as possible for the event.

[SIZE=12pt]Joy[/SIZE]

Ok...I would like to ask a few of you that in my eyes are judging this girl that VOLUNTEERED - when someone else did not do what they said they were going to do.

Now, I was not there so I am only going by what I have read on this forum.

Here is a little example - off subject but, you will see my point at the end.

My husband was coaching a a kids baseball team - He was running late - so, he called me to take over until her could get there. I did not know what I was doing - but, I had just left work and was in a skirt and high hills. I normally did not have time to go home and change clothes before the game. Of all days I had forgot to take what I was wearing to work with me. So, I said boy's I don't know what I am doing so help me out here. My husband had gave me the line up over the phone - my son was also on the team and I had known these boys most of my life.

Ok - Here I was out on the field with high heels and a skirt - Was it SAFE - NO. Did it look silly - YES- I was embarrassed, but if the game did not start on time our team would have to forfeit. So, I was was willing to take the chance and go through the embarrasement to keep these boys from forfeiting their game.

Guess what - A man from the stands that I did NOT even know POLITELY came down and asked me if I wanted him to take over until my husband got there. I was GRATEFUL - I said YES and THANK YOU.

My point is - to the people that were not there I don't think it is fair to judge this girl - we have already been told WHY this happened.

To the people that were there and complaining - did anyone try to find someone to take her place? Did you offer to help her out? Did you go buy her a pair of shoes? etc.

I am not trying to be rude - but, this girl volunteered to help out. She needs a THANK YOU in my eye's. Not people complaining.

We have been told she filled in at the last minute and had to borrow a dress. How could ANYONE complain now that we know WHY this happened.

It's already been said - but this is NATIONALS. I paid a lot of money and was extremely lucky and proud to win a National championship, and was shocked to see the flip flops. Absolutely she deserves kudos for volunteering, but was she the only one who could do it if she didn't have proper clothing? Why not have a ring steward do it instead? Target was across the street and AMHR could have popped for a pair of nice dress shoes if that was the case.

Especially since the rule book expressly forbids open toed shoes or sandals.

It's already been said - but this is NATIONALS. I paid a lot of money and was extremely lucky and proud to win a National championship, and was shocked to see the flip flops. Absolutely she deserves kudos for volunteering, but was she the only one who could do it if she didn't have proper clothing? Why not have a ring steward do it instead? Target was across the street and AMHR could have popped for a pair of nice dress shoes if that was the case.
Especially since the rule book expressly forbids open toed shoes or sandals.

ruffian - I completely agree with you on what you are saying above. If AMHR would not put out $ 10.00 to $15.00 bucks to buy her a pair of shoes...why didn't someone watching the shows do it? Maybe this young girl didn't have the money to do it. Out of all the people that have complained couldn't someone have politely went to her quietly and asked is it ok if I go buy you a pair of shoes so you don't get stepped on? If she said yes, than ask her shoes size and made a little trip to Target themselves? I just know if that was MY CHILD I would be extremely unhappy if she or he was trying to help out and they got criticized for what they were wearing.

I guess I should add - if "some" people were upset - and as you say it is in the rule book - In my opinion people should be upset with AMHR not the girl trying to help.

Last edited:
Ruffian

I must be missing it in the Rulebook. Can you please tell me what page specifically addresses the show ring attire of a volunteer presenting ribbons?

I agree this is Nationals and those open classes were pretty tough. Personally for me someone presenting me with a ribbon and or being in a win picture wearning flip flops would not in any way ruin the moment. Maybe that is just me.

IMO--if the young lady was asked at the last minute to step in to perform this service, and didn't have ANYTHING but 'flipflops' with her(which I will admit, astonishes me--that anyone would go 'out in the world' to something like a horse show and take NO other footwear!!)-then the organization could WELL have offered to pay for a modest pair of comfy FLATS, at the very least...after all, she agreed to perform a valuable service for them...That said, I absolutely agree that 'flipflops' would be unsuitable footwear for a National show center ring, for several different reasons already outlined by others. There is a time and a place for everything...something often ignored in modern society, to its detriment.

Many of you won't like it, but I have to say, I am flabbergasted by how many say they are often or routinely around horses in those flimsy things....I got stepped on as a 7 YO by a fullsized horse while I wore a pair of huarachas, and I learned MY lesson then and there...not to mention how filthy your feet are going to get in the barn/horse lot, wearing such things! NEVER would I do so, nor did I allow my children to do so. Among other things, tetanus is ALWAYS present in the soil around horses...one little skinned spot or scratch, and ... you have put yourself at undue risk, exposing your essentially BARE feet around horses! Even if all you have are minis, IMO, it is still a very bad idea--and it can be near deadly when you have 'big' horses.

When I was a college freshman in Hawai'i, and that kind of footwear was really ONLY 'common' over there, I happily wore 'flipflops' around campus and to class...they have their place, but NOT, I firmly believe, when in close proximity to horses and serious horse 'chores'!

Flames to Joe Price.

Margo

What amazes me, is that someone people are making such a big deal out of this. If the fact that she was wearing flip flops seriously insulted some people or ruins their experience, than I would challenge them to reconsider why they compete at the event, and maybe they are not doing it for the right reasons. I am really chuckling at all of this. It's quite possible that this girl doesn't even know what a miniature horse is, maybe even has never seen one in her life until now. And it is even more possible that the volunteers footwear was the last thing on the organizers mind. Personally, I'd rather have them focus on making sure everything is running smoothly, answering exhibitors questions, making sure everyone is getting the right awards, keeping records, etc, etc, etc. It was probably an oversight. Personally, I'd be more worried if the staff was giving up precious time to go buy dress shoes at Target.

What amazes me, is that someone people are making such a big deal out of this. If the fact that she was wearing flip flops seriously insulted some people or ruins their experience, than I would challenge them to reconsider why they compete at the event, and maybe they are not doing it for the right reasons. I am really chuckling at all of this. It's quite possible that this girl doesn't even know what a miniature horse is, maybe even has never seen one in her life until now. And it is even more possible that the volunteers footwear was the last thing on the organizers mind. Personally, I'd rather have them focus on making sure everything is running smoothly, answering exhibitors questions, making sure everyone is getting the right awards, keeping records, etc, etc, etc. It was probably an oversight. Personally, I'd be more worried if the staff was giving up precious time to go buy dress shoes at Target.
Matt I could not agree more. Sometimes the cackling that goes on here is well nothing short of amusing although I am sure to those being talked about find it annoying bordering on amusing. Perhaps it is time to quit berating this poor child and move on to something else.

Margo - I do agree with a lot of what you are saying.

At the same time I will not judge anyone for what they ware.

I will say I do not go out in the barn lot or around my miniatures in flip flops.

Two reasons - I think I keep Germ X in business..LOL

The main reason is I know it can be dangerous. A few years ago, I was outside having a little trouble with one of my miniatures. My husband is not a little guy - well, before he thought he just slipped his sandals on and headed out the door to help me. He ended up losing his big toe nail. Now, I realize this is not serious, but it did hurt and it could have been more serious.

I do agree with you AMHR could have helped the girl out and bought her a comfy and safe pair of shoes. I am not saying go out and buy $100.00 pair of heels to be worn once. But, I am sure Target would have had something.

She seems like a nice girl that would have appreciated it. She was willing to borrow a dress to help out - that tells me this must be a very nice girl. Not a lot of teenagers or even people would do that in my opinion.

Last edited:
I was watching the show on the internet and the only time the flipflops showed was when she picked up her dress to walk. They were not on the photos because the dress was too long.

Maybe I missed it in my reading of this thread, but why was there the need to ask someone at the last minute anyhow?

Personally, I do wear flip-flops to do my pony chores when the weather permits if it is just feeding and watering. Anything more like trimming and training I usually put shoes on for. I did get my toes scraped the other day by my 2 year old but I am up on my tetanus vaccination and wasn't really worried about that and it feels better now.
default_rolleyes.gif

I stand firm on this with BINGO... In my opinion as well I'm pretty darn sure what she was wearing was the least bit of what show staff was worrying about. Sure its unsafe but she wasn't handling after all... I think if people really cared about the issue someone would have politely said something to this girl or would have asked to buy some darn shoes... Afterall she did volunteer and she did borrow the dress and she spent 10 hours or more in the ring... I mean what more can you ask for from a volunteer who could have done many other things like being grooming and showing or even handling horses, that is if she was even showing... Just be grateful she kindly did this for the organization

I stand firm on this with BINGO... In my opinion as well I'm pretty darn sure what she was wearing was the least bit of what show staff was worrying about. Sure its unsafe but she wasn't handling after all... I think if people really cared about the issue someone would have politely said something to this girl or would have asked to buy some darn shoes... Afterall she did volunteer and she did borrow the dress and she spent 10 hours or more in the ring... I mean what more can you ask for from a volunteer who could have done many other things like being grooming and showing or even handling horses, that is if she was even showing... Just be grateful she kindly did this for the organization

default_aktion033.gif
default_thumbup.gif
I agree. I know the young lady and she is very sweet. I hope that someday she gets the chance to be royalty and get the recognition she deserves. She and her sister decorate their own jackets and tops so that they are unique and not like everyone else. They spent a bit of time showing me how to do it and what to buy to do my own. Mom is very nice also. Always friendly. I am not sure how to spell the name, but they are Moriah Minis. Not sure where they are from or the girls' names, but Mom's name is Tamsey Morris. Just thought they should get some recognition for all the work the little lady did in the ring.

Maybe I missed it in my reading of this thread, but why was there the need to ask someone at the last minute anyhow?Personally, I do wear flip-flops to do my pony chores when the weather permits if it is just feeding and watering. Anything more like trimming and training I usually put shoes on for. I did get my toes scraped the other day by my 2 year old but I am up on my tetanus vaccination and wasn't really worried about that and it feels better now.
default_rolleyes.gif
Since many of the kids had to go to school they had to go home.

Latest posts

Back