Flies! At the end of my rope

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildoak

Reaction score
Can't remember a time when the flies have been so bad. I have a fly spray system in my barn and I'm going through about a bottle a week on top of that, and the flies are still horrible. I'm having eye problems because of them - habronema in at least one case, which isn't responding to treatment and will have to be cut out. I'm using Swat around the eyes but they are drinking it for breakfast.

What are you using for flies this year, is it working? I've used fly predators in one barn in the past and didn't renew them this year, thinking I'm going to order them asap but can't use them in the main barn with fly spray.

Jan

I have used fly trap bags for the last couple years and have loved them, you have to have someplace to hang them though just outside of your barn as they do have an odor. You also have to make sure to keep filling it with water up to the line until it is full of flies otherwise it dries out. The ones I have had have worked here anyways, they are always full in no time at all! I just ordered a couple for myself as the flies are terrible here too just havent hung them up yet! I get mine from jeffersequine.com they are the Big Bag Fly Trap.

Jan - I don't have a fly spray system - I wish I did. I have fans blowing on high in every stall. They are pointing

slightly (about a 45 degree angle) down towards the feed buckets. I've got all the doors open to keep a good breeze going.

Got my fans on too..... nothing seems to really work this year.

Jan

You're right; Nothing seems to work anymore. Past years I have bought every spray and wipe known to man. I paid enough for them for someone to come and roof my house and either the flies have become immune to it or they have invented a new kind of superfly made of kryptonite. I have my favorite sprays, Solitude, Citrennella, Tri-tech, Repel X, but in the grande scheme of things, nothing really works too good anymore. With such an easy winter my flies have showed up about two months early and already are giving us all grief. Honestly the best defense I have is box fans in every stall and I do hang them down quite low, just right above everyone's head so they don't get clobberd by them. Thank heavens we don't get mosquitoes up here or I'd hang myself.

I tossed all the box fans and doubled up all stalls with high intensity bigger fans. No flies in stalls. Doesnt help them when outside but they can all go into stalls when they have had enough of the flies. No fly spray seems to be working this year but Im really trying to keep manure down to zero around the stalls and outside pastures.....not fun!!!

What type of fly spray system do you have? I was thinking once I get my barn built of using the Pyrannah barn system and heard nothing but good things with that. I've used the Pyrannah fly spray and it works great for what you need to get done but doesn't last more then a day, but haven't found one that lasts longer then that.

Jan, don't bother with the fly predators. Once the flies are underway, they don't work. Also if you have others nearby who don't use them, they won't work. First season I had fly predators, I started too late and thought they were worthless. Next season, I got them right when they suggested and they were wonderful. Wish I had some helpful suggestions. Must be awful.

As much as I hate flies, I am torn. Have you ever read the warnings on 95% of the flysprays? They almost all say to avoid contact with skin, eyes, etc. and to wash with water for 15-20 mins if your skin makes contact with it. REALLY? I have to put this on my horse's skin? And that is ok but not for me? So I bought a new product that is all sorts of herbal oils and not toxic. Hopefully it works at $22 a bottle! I have liked Endure in the past, but again, it has big warnings agains skin contact. I don't really get that!

I clean the manure and that seems to help but once a week when I strip the stalls I spray my stalls and flooring down with white vinagar poured in one of those bottles that hooks on the end of your hose (you can buy at a garden store or Wall Mart. It has an adjustable nozzle for different spray settings. It seems to have helped cut down on the bugs and flies. I think it has something to do with the acidity? Non toxic -can't hurt! I do it in the morning and let it air out while the minis are in pasture. I used it last year to kill the weeds around the barn (non Toxic) to the minis and noticed reduced bug population or maybe the flies just don't like us...LOL Let me know if it works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back