First foal ?!?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mastercece2b

Reaction score
From which old your mares they have their first foal?

Me I their fact of having as from 3 years, when they finished their growth seeing when their basin is rather broad!

From three years, minimum.

edited to add:

Welcome!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
" How old are your mares when they have their first foal??"

Mine are three years and over as by this age their pelvic girdle has broadened and they have finished growing"

Yes afflicted, I do not have very good English!
default_blush.png
:

I wanted to say: From when a mare can have its first foal?

Thank's

No earlier than three, for my own personal decision, and sometimes later, depending on the horse.

Welcome to Lil' Beginnings!

Liz M.

I agree with Liz no earlier than 3 but some are later and for the first time this year I had a 2 year old who did every thing but climb under the fence to get to the boys but nope she will wait til next year to be bred. Another of our girls was 4 this year and finally ready to be bred she was too much of a kid before that. I think they need to be more grown up mentally as well as physically more mature.

I do not consider putting mine with a stallion until it is 3--somtmes 4 depending on size and attitude. I know that they can be registered if bred at 2, but to me that is like a 15 yr old girl having a baby. She needs to finish high school and be a teenager for several years yet.

Angie

Just to make it clear:

We do not put our mares into foal until they are three- this means they would not have a foal until they are four years old.

In case we need to be clearer what is your native tongue- there are a few non-English speakers on here who could help translating I am sure.

Ok thank you!

Indeed some times I make use of translator!

I 'm French and thus some times I do not understand all!
default_wacko.png
:

In any case cheer progress! :bgrin

Wow. Just read a bit about Corsica on Wikipedia...Lucky You! Looks gorgeous.

Personally I have never bred a mare until she was 5 years old that would put her a 6 to foal. I have bought a mare that was bred when I got her and foaled at 3. A horse has to finish growing and the knees are not considered closed until they are 5 (for hunter/jumpers in big horses anyway). That is why so many race horses breakdown before they are 5.

I don't have anything to add on this subject, since I have never bred a mare, but I would just like to say Welcome! :saludando: It's always nice to see people from around the world on here!

Latest posts

Back