Fire Ants, Minis and Chemical...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Yankee In NC

Reaction score
Here in NC we have a HUGE problem with fire ants.

My husband has discovered 2 very large mounds out in the pasture.

Are there chemicals that I must NOT use? PLease help as I do not want my sweet Stuart bitten by those horrible little insects. It hurts like the dickens to get a fire ant bite.

thanks!

This is probably not the best answer you will get, but I use Sevin Dust on the lousy little boogers. Sevin is safe for dogs, and garden veggies. It should be safe for the horses too, as we have those too. I shake the powder on the ant hill, heavily. Then, after a couple of hours, I go back, and if there is no evidence of ants, I knock around the hill and do it again. A dog breeder my girls got their mini aussie from told them a cup of Clorox on a hill will do the trick better. Good luck!

I've been using a product called Amdro on the big leaf cutter ant mounds out in my pasture. I've had pretty good luck with it although, one stubborn mound is still active. I managed to eliminate at least 6 mounds so far. They may not be as bad as fire ants, but when those leaf cutter ants decide to bite, it really stings! Plus, they remove vegetation in such a large area around the mounds, I'm glad to see them go!

EXTINQUISH PLUS this is a combiination of AMDRO PRO (pesticide) and Extinquish (IGR). There were actual studies done, and this product will eliminate 90% of fireants for up to 1 yr. I spread it in my pastures last summer after spending many dollars on a lot of different products and eliminated most of my ants.

If you only have a couple of mounds just sprinkle it around the mounds and they will find it.

Extinquish Plus is available at most farm stores or Jeffers.

Rick

I've never tried it on fire ants , but used coffee grinds works everytime for me , just dump the grinds on top of the mound until you no longer see them . This tip came from my neighbor who owns an organic landscaping company.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back