Fencing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dianne 1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Being new to minis I need some advice on fencing. I am going to take one of my larger fields and fence off a small portion for the minis. I was thinking about using 2"x4" wire mesh (no climb horse fence). Would this be suitable for my two babies or do you all use something different?

Thanks for your help.

Dianne

That's what we have used and I like it because my dogs stay out of that area; the horses stay in
default_smile.png

I would make sure that it is the welded mesh. So the little darlings can't put their heads right through. Have learned this the hard way. :DOH! Alot of missing manes.

I have used the 2"x4" welded wire and it can come apart as it ages. You then end up with strands of wire and no fence. I use chain link all the way.

There is 2 x 4 wire mesh that is made for horses. Instead of it being welded each 2 x4 section is wrapped around the wire so that it does not come appart. Welded wire will fall appart (especially with the horses rubbing against it) and a long wire can be pulled off the fence leaving an open area that they could get out of or a long piece of wire that can wrap around a leg.

I have one area that has been fenced that way for 10 years and it still is holding the horses in.

The 2"x4" woven field fence works quite well for us and it keeps wandering dogs and coyotes out. I like our wooden fences best for the pastures near the house, but then the foals can sometimes find a spot to get out between or under
default_wacko.png
Good luck with your fencing and be sure to post pics of your horses for us
default_biggrin.png

We are getting ready to do a large fence priject. We will be using the 4x4 goat fence. It is 4' tall, and then will add 1 strand of smooth wire 6" above that. Just doing the smooth wire to encourage the Great Pyr guard dogs not to jump fence.

Latest posts

Back