Fence

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovable minis

Reaction score
We are going to be putting up a new fence :aktion033: and are looking for information. What kind of fence do you all have? Any pictures so I can see? I can't do electric. Right now we have wood with wire.

Thanks in advance.

You can't beat good old field fence. Keeps the horses IN and predators OUT. Nothing fancy, just plain fact.

We have the NO CLIMB fence the squares are much smaller so no hooves can get stuck in. Kathy

We've got all kinds of fences! Horse fencing with the square small links, hog panels, metal mini panels, and white vinyl fencing. They all work well in their particular setting. If I could afford it, I'd go with the vinyl fences with a hot wire along the top, because it looks so wonderful, maintenance free, and would last forever. There's an article on Equusite about the synthetic wood fencing that looks really interesting. Here's the link: Safe Horse Fence

We are going to be putting up a new fence :aktion033: and are looking for information. What kind of fence do you all have? Any pictures so I can see? I can't do electric. Right now we have wood with wire.

Thanks in advance.
I have pretty much finished my fencing and used cattle panels with 4x4 wood treated posts. Some of this has been up for 4 plus years and I have NO fence problems. Panels come 16' long by 52" high and posts are every 8 feet. It was a investment, but after years and years of redoing fences (sagging, electric, butt rubbing problems) I bit the big one and do not regret it at all. Horses will never get out and it is Safe!

I went to our local feed/farm store and asked about the cattle panels and I was told they don't carry them. I was informed about woven wire.

This is just my opinion but I would not use woven wire. I have that, my horses push their feet and heads through the bottoms then I end up with a bunch of wire just sticking out everywhere because they become unwelded, a real hazard. They also push on it with their bodies and it loses its tightness so it looks sloppy. It isn't that cheap either - atleast not in our area. I go for the cattle panels too - more expensive but will last years longer. We have to drive an hour to buy them too. Have to bring a trailer.

It really depends on how much space you're fencing. I love the welded wire (like hog panels), but it is cost prohibitive on our acreage. We put in two miles of fencing when we first moved. We use field fence with 2 strands of barbed wire for our perimeter fence. THe fencing contractor put in metal posts filled with concrete set in concrete every 100 feet, with t-posts between. This way we can always replace the fencing without having to reset posts. I've seen the damage a car took that hit one of his posts - no damage to the post although they took out some tposts and 25' of fence.

Interior fences are either field fence 4x6 openings or no climb 2x4 opening. The no climb is stronger, but we get more minis with hooves caught in it. We also have one area that is black vinyl coated cyclone fencing and we use hog panels for some runs and for repairs/reinforcing until the fencing company can replace damaged areas.

If we could have done it over, I would have put hot wire butt high on the perimeter fence as the damage from rubbing minis in four years is amazing or have the welded wire fencing the complete property - but I'd need lots of $$ for that!

I like 4ft woven wire no climb(1x2 inch squares) with one strand of electric about mini butt level and t-posts, occasional wooden post and wooden post on corners. It is inexpensive in my area and very easy to put up. I've had it for two years for minis/goats/chickens...never had anyone get in or out unless you count the one chicken who loves to fly. Definately need a strand of electric though or minis will lean on it and make it sag. I've also seen cattle panels with tposts where the minis leaned on the panels so bad they moved the t-posts and made them lean. I'm definate fan of at least one strand of electric -if you don't have access to electric, you could buy a solar charger.

We just got a quote to do our WHOLE farm in vinyl fencing. 43,000.00. But I am concerned about it breaking or cracking in the sun and during the winter when it gets cold. Has anyone had trouble with that?

Thanks

Bdazzled Farms

We just got a quote to do our WHOLE farm in vinyl fencing. 43,000.00. But I am concerned about it breaking or cracking in the sun and during the winter when it gets cold. Has anyone had trouble with that?

Thanks

Bdazzled Farms

It depends on if you get the "hollow" vinyl fencing, or the kind with the wood interior. I've seen an awful lot of vinyl fencing with broken areas through the years. I also would be concerned about predators getting in.

Vinyl fencing is SO beautiful, but for me it just wouldn't work. On our new place we will be putting up "diamond mesh" fencing, with electric strands down lower and on top of the fence. Right now we have the big squares of wire fencing (came with the place, for the most part) on the perimeter, and it at least keeps most dogs out, but does sag.

"We just got a quote to do our WHOLE farm in vinyl fencing. 43,000.00. But I am concerned about it breaking or ing in the sun and during the winter when it gets cold. Has anyone had trouble with that?

Thanks

Bdazzled Farms"

I have vinyl fencing. It is as tough as a 2X6 wooden fence and will last indefinitely. Problems are predator control, which can be remedied with a single stran of ; and stallions popping out a rail in the corners, which can be remedied by inserting square stock metal in the center rail at the corners. Most companies give a lifetime warranty against warping, fading, etc. Nothing looks better, although someone has to clean the mildew off about every 6 months with a pressure washers or bucket and brush. The best part is you never have to replace it.

I went to our local feed/farm store and asked about the cattle panels and I was told they don't carry them. I was informed about woven wire.
There are different kinds called hog panels, cattle panels but they are welded hard wire. I can even step on them to get over the fence in a pinch. But u have to use staples that go in deep with a barb or two on each side of the staple (that goes into the wood) so if the minis would rub on them they don't push the staple out. I have put in a rubbing post in each paddock to eleviate any rubbing and the horses love it. I just drilled a hole when we were putting up the fence and put in a 5 foot log that we had laying around. I am sure a 4x4 post would of worked too. It is costly I agree, but its alot of work to put up a fence anyway and I decided I was not gonna do it again! ever! (I have had every kind!) Hint: I started four years ago and just dedicated so much $ every year towards the fence project. It was gonna take five years but I got lucky and finnished in four!!!!!

another note: using metal t posts with welded panels is not solving anything because t posts eventually tip from erosion/weather and possibly rubbing. My panels are on the out side of the posts. Easy to clip along with lawnmower. no goiing around posts sticking out. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back