feeling guilty

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernmi

Reaction score
I expected this mare to carry much longer. She looks like she is ready to foal very soon. The tempeture last night was -14 tonight should be around zero. Below average this time of year. I have 12 by 12 stall, filled with alot of straw and hay. Will 3 heat bulbs be enough with a padded baby blanket? Hug plastic over stall isle window also. I am being very careful wih bulbs and sleep only 4 feet away so they arnt a concern the way there set up. Just need to know if anyone eles has had foals in these kind of temps? It is usually around 30 to 40 this time of year. Temps are only supposed to last 2 more days, then up to 40.

It sounds like you are doing the best you can in a tough situation.

I would say that you are fine. One thing you might do is make a corner of the stall for the foal. I have a friend that does this and it works great.

She puts a board (2x4) across a corner at a hieght so only the foal can get in there not the mother and hang the heat lamp a bit lower so it will be about 3 feet above the foal. The bedding will stay cleaner as well. It does not take the foal long to figure out it is a pretty comfy spot to snooze.

Also get the foal dried off quickly and I think you will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back