farm websites

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
...and have a snippy little message come up for anyone who does try to right click on anything on your website--Did you know that there are some people--like me for one, & I know I'm not the only one because I've had this conversation with others who say they are the same way--who don't right-click to steal photos? We right-click on buttons to "open in new window" so that we can have 2 pages opening at once? Why? Well, for me it's because I'm on dial up & sometimes pages take awhile to open. I like to open a couple of pages so both can be loading--I can be looking at one page while the next one is loading. Or sometimes there's a photo (or multiple photos) that are slow to load, and they load faster if I can right click & then choose "show picture"--really annoying when the page times out & half the photos are red x's only. I can either right click & choose 'show picture' for those I want to see, or I can use the refresh button...or I can just say to heck with this & close the site completely, and go & look elsewhere. And that is often the option I choose if I can't use the show picture option.

I know why some people choose to disable right click on their sites, but for someone who has no intention of stealing any photos, getting a snippy message is really annoying. I've always thought sorry, your photos just aren't that special to me, bye-bye.

Is there not some way to copy protect photos without disabling right click completely? I've often wondered this, but never bothered to post about it until now.

My site does have the pictures "protected" (though it's not hard to work around if you feel like trying). Until reading your post, I did not realize you couldn't right click to open links on my site. You can left click ("normal click") and unless there are ones I over looked, ALL of my links open up new windows so both my site and the link can be viewed. I am not inclined to change it because it has cut down on some issues I was having. I've got no problem when kids email and ask permission to use my horses in sim games, but I do not like adults or kids holding my horses out as actually belonging to them in real life. That doesn't go over too well with me or my husband. I mean... if they want to come help us feed and shovel poop, pay for them and pay for their keep, we could probably feel better about them claiming to actually own horses like Destiny, Hope, DunIT, etc.
default_laugh.png

PS I even found some kid pretending my collie, Kelsey (a/k/a Lacey if you ask him) was his dog!!! Urgh!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you can "print screen" to save pictures without right-clicking. However, if the picture is saved in a larger format but scaled down for viewing, you cannot "print screen" to save that larger resolution image, so perhaps they are protecting this.

I do like to right-click on images to see if I can see them larger.

Andrea

Most, if not all, of my images are not shrunk down to fit a picture box. That's the size they are. The way I know how to get the picture is different. I just highlight, copy to email, and see the URL (I do that to post my pictures here).

I hate those too. Usually if i right click, it is because I want to try to enlarge the picture. I have only had it happen on a few website, but it sure does annoy me... NO, i do not want to steal their picture LOL.

I used to have most of mine disabled but it so irritated me when I was trying to steal my own picture lmao. (many times I right click my own picture to get the addy to post on forums) So I have taken I think all but one off. On the flip side I was finding my stallions picture all over the internet with no mention of who owned him. Kinda a slap in the face especially since I paid a good amount of money to have a photographer take those pics.

I never would put a snippy message though. To me thats just not professional.

Mine can't be right clicked because I was finding pictures of my horses in other places where I didn't want them--sim games was one. I take a lot of time to get good photos and I'd like viewers to know who took them. It is a pain because sometimes I'll tell someone to just copy what they want (little girl doing a report on miniatures for school) and I forget they can't. But--if someone decides not to buy from me due to that, that's fine because I have nothing for sale.
default_wink.png

I have mine disabled, I too had a few taken a couple years ago and used for sim games without permission, so I disabled right clicking, yes a message pops up with "Sorry, Right Clicking Is Disabled" (if there was a way to get rid of the msg. but still have right click disabled I would).. Plus I don't want to have to go through what DRK Miniatures is going through with the gal from the UK.. I try to keep my photos on the website at a decent size, not too small nor too big, for viewing on the site itself.. If someone wants to use a picture or see it bigger etc. all it takes is a simple email with the request..

BTW, my non-snippy message simply reads: If you'd like your own copy of this photo, just send us an email!
default_smile.png

There are a few things i've done. I have done some sites where just images couldn't be right clicked but the rest of the websites content could. I really like disableing the pictures and then useing a lightbox viewer. Where the images can be made to your own "thumbnail" size and then clicked on to get bigger. The picture can be seen larger without having to worry about someone right click stealing the photos. I haven't done it, but I believe there is also a feature to disable print screening content as well.

Latest posts

Back