Farm names

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandmaC

Reaction score
I some species registration associations and registries you also need to

register your farm name. (flock, herd, rabbitry, etc)

How is it with Mini's? Once you join whatever registries you're going to is there a

place you register your farm name? Or do you not?

(Can you tell I'm new at this?)

Driving home last night I came thought of a name, came home and googled it in many different manors

and there doesn't seem to be a Mini farm with that name already.

Is there a place one can go and check and see if a name is being used?

You can pay a fee in the AMHA (and I believe in R) for your ranch name to be solely yours. You don't have to, but you can if you want to be certain no other ranch uses your name.

I don't know of any one place to check out farm NAMES, but AMHA and AMHR each allow you to register (for a fee, which can change) a PREFIX to use when you register your animals. For example, our farm name is On Target Miniatures (registered as an LLC in our state) and we reserved the prefix "OTM" with both AMHA and AMHR. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know of any one place to check out farm NAMES, but AMHA and AMHR each allow you to register (for a fee, which can change) a PREFIX to use when you register your animals. For example, our farm name is On Target Miniatures (registered as an LLC in our state) and we reserved the prefix "OTM" with both AMHA and AMHR. Hope that helps.
Yes- that is what I was referring to, but didn't say it quite right- thank you for clarifying.

You can check on the ASPC/AMHR website by logging into the members are first then go to "prefix" or "suffix" report to see if your name is reserved.If not you can pay the fee and reserve the name

You can check on the ASPC/AMHR website by logging into the members are first then go to "prefix" or "suffix" report to see if your name is reserved.If not you can pay the fee and reserve the name
This was really helpful when deciding on my farm name/prefix as I was able to make sure there wasn't a prefix too similar to what I wanted mine to be so in the ring it wouldn't be confused. And although its not registering a farm name, I've seen it done where the miniature is registered to the farm name instead of a specific persons name, I've seen in in other animals as well. But even in that case, as far as I know, you just register your prefix not entire name

There is one place that is all supreme. That is a US Trademark. You can register your name with all the registries and that will work within those registries, however, A US trademark will supercede any of that.

Been there.

There is one place that is all supreme. That is a US Trademark. You can register your name with all the registries and that will work within those registries, however, A US trademark will supercede any of that.
Been there
Thanks Al B! Is it a complicated process?

It is expensive, but so is reserving the name for both registries too. I looked and I believe it's about $350 ish.

It is expensive, but so is reserving the name for both registries too. I looked and I believe it's about $350 ish.
Last I read AMHA was $150 to register a prefix. I think trademarks are hard to get in addition to being expensive. I know there's a lot that goes into them (paper work, information, proof of i don't even remember what, etc). My old boss has looked into it for their company and it was turned down because of the expensive I think

Yes $150 for amha, but then there's amhr too right? My great grandmother bred horses with the Mars prefix for 10 years and didn't know you could reserve a prefix/suffix and another person reserved Mars _____....even though they're not the same, amha still won't let her use Mars.

Check the work order forms for both AMHA and AMHR/ASPC for the charge of reserving your Farm Prefix. It may be expensive but it is worth it if you plan to have foals registered under your farm name/prefix. It can be difficult if someone else has had horses registered years ago with a prefix you want to use.

(Initially we wanted to use "MV" for Miniature Ventures, but it was taken. That was back in 1990. So, we use "Mini V"....which I'm happier with anyway.)

We also have our farm name registered with our state as a dba, so my husband and I can each do business under our farm name. It also keeps others from using our farm name within our state. There's a fee by county, so that gets spendy too.

We have two businesses (non horse related) and we had planned on hiring an attorney to do a trademark on one.

Maybe when he researched for my business he can research for a farm name. I want a trade name for a product,

didn't know you could do one for a farm.

It would depend on what your wanting to do with your farm/name....

1) You can do a DBA at your County Court House

2) You can Incorporate it through your State Comptroller

3) You could do a Trademark ( However, there's considerably more to consider when doing this one)

ok going out on a limb here to sounding totally stupid but is a Trade Mark the same a a Trade name?

Some people register a name or a mark (symbol) or a phrase/saying right?

?????????

Wow!

I just came up with my name when I 1st got into minis and it just stuck. I never did nothing but just but my farm name in front of my foals name when registering them. I guess when folks see your name or have heard of it, they usally dont use the same name or if they do, they change it up some. Guess I never put that much thought in it as I never seen the same name as far as a mini horse farm having the same name. I did however see a big horse farm with the same name but who cares
default_smile.png

I also never paid a dime to have this name anywhere and have had it since 2004.

Latest posts

Back