False Alarm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kootenay

Reaction score
My little Sweet Pea rescue mare has been getting a belly despite proper deworming

and having a grass/now hay diet. I blamed the belly on grass, and now i'm not so sure. I've been checking on and off to see if she was developing a bag, and today I felt one--complete with a crusty deposit on her teats.

I have owned her for a year, and checking other parts she has gotten elongated in that area. I'm so sick about this. All I know about her is she is about 2 years old. I will be getting the vet out to confirm my worst fears. I'm rooting for a false pregnancy, but wonder if a maiden mare can experience that.

I do have a stall(s) with gates now installed and a heat lamp if it comes to that.

Here is a picture of her from about 3 weeks ago. She does look a bit bigger now.

:Sweet Pea

Here's a side view:

Side View

And a photo from last fall for comparison:

Last Fall

EDIT:-- Pasture fat is the verdict. Thank you for all your replies
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have owned her for a year and she has not been with a stallion during that time, I doublt that she is pregnant. Based upon her pictures, she does not look pregnant at all, especially one that was bagging up and ready to foal any time.

I sure hope she wasn't with a stallion at the breeders farm. I got a hold of her from someone who bought her from the breeder. From what I heard about the breeders farm, there very well could have been a stallion or stallions running with the mares. I cannot make assumptions on hearsay, and only hope the poor little thing isn't bred. Her tummy sure does feel 'full' though--not much give when hugged.

You say you have owned her for a year. Has she been on your farm for a year not near any stallions? Or was she at this breeders farm for the last year?

Based upon the picture you posted, she does not look pregnant at all, let alone ready to have a bag and deliver..

I don't see much difference from last fall to this fall. I do however see a mini who has gained some weight and is pasture fit. I would suspect the pouch you are feeling is a fat pocket. I have had all mine get fat pouches when they are well fed, not a milk bag.

Gestation is 11 months.

No stallions here, or anywhere around my farm. I didn't mean to 'jump the gun', so to speak. I just didn't want a possible pregnancy here that could have ended up badly.

Thank you for all your replies, and the collective knowledge that this forum has.
default_smile.png

From the pictures - pregnancy would be the last thing I would expect with her. 
default_laugh.png
She's just a healthy and happy mare. 

I've never been so happy to hear that she is pasture fat
default_laugh.png
. I would never breed this mare, and am happy to know she is just 'plump'. Her winter fur is making her look thicker also, but she still is pretty solid underneath all of that.

Latest posts

Back