fallen crest

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orin

Reaction score
We have a falabella yearling filly and her crest has started to fall can anybody tell me why this happens and is there anything we can do to stop it?

Genetics/weight/thyroid issues are some of the things that play a role in it. A yearling is awfully young for that to happen to, are you certain it has fallen or is she just cresty and has an extremely weighted mane?

I believe that it's genetics and really shy away from breeding any if they have a fallen crest. You may want to bump up her protein and wrap her neck with a neck wrap 24/7. It will need to be snug.

If her crest is heavy - fallen or not - it could be a sign of insulin resistance (IR) which increases the chance of founder. Having a mare with a heavy crest, and having had a horse founder, I would worry far more about the risk of founder than the cosmetics. Our mare did have her glucose and insulin tested so she is IR, on a special low carb diet, eats no grass, and gets a daily dose of Remission, a magnesium and chromium supplement to help prevent founder. She also wears neck sweats nearly 24/7 and is a fantastic all-around show mare. Trimming the mane and swapping it from side to side can also help.

A yearling is an awfully YOUNG age to have a fallen crest unless she is HUGELY obese! Can you post pics of her? I would (because of her age) contact a vet for sure, to see if there is an underlying cause.

I second IR if she were older or had experienced drastic weight loss. My first mini, a gelding, had a fallen crest and it was from the constant weight gain and weight loss. A heavy mane can also lead to a fallen crest. Does she really have a fallen crest or does she have a thin or ewe neck from being immature, under developed, young, or thin?

Latest posts

Back