facts and thoughts on Kansas minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of questions, First of all, if there is no electricity on the property how are they able to water the horses. I have read that the ones in the worst shape have been removed. Were they all stallions and geldings? I read that the rescue groups could not take anymore horses until November. Has that date changed?

I know this is all very frustrating, but only a month ago we all feared that none would get out of there. I too wondered why the fat ones are going when there were still thin ones left. Thank you for clearing that up. At least with some of the fat, more aggressive horses gone it will give some of the others a better chance at a meal while they are waiting for rescue.

Shelia

I know all going there are doing there best to help and that is very much appreciated!

I find it interesting that he is not willing to give up any mares at all and only the geldings and stallions would have made more sense to geld ALL the stallions seeing as he had quite a few, and let him keep a herd full of geldings that couldnt reproduce but that is just me

I have a couple of questions, First of all, if there is no electricity on the property how are they able to water the horses. I have read that the ones in the worst shape have been removed. Were they all stallions and geldings? I read that the rescue groups could not take anymore horses until November. Has that date changed?

I know this is all very frustrating, but only a month ago we all feared that none would get out of there. I too wondered why the fat ones are going when there were still thin ones left. Thank you for clearing that up. At least with some of the fat, more aggressive horses gone it will give some of the others a better chance at a meal while they are waiting for rescue.

Shelia
Electricity isn't needed for the water service.

I think it is a fair statement to say the worst have been removed.

I have only gotten stallions and geldings. I am sure there were fillies out in the first bunch, but how many I don't know.

I am not sure of the significance of the November 7 date and what will happen when it arrives. My assumption is that it is 30 days from the first rescue effort.

I kno what you mean about removing the more aggressive ones, but it's a hollow victory.

...but it's a hollow victory
But a victory nontheless. We're all still hanging in there and the fat lady hasn't sung yet!!

I had hoped to talk with Sharon (KsMC) to get her ok to let you know what her last report was on the ones at her place. Haven't been able to talk with her but I'm sure she wouldn't mind my sharing the latest. She sent me this last Friday.

The vet came out today. We had 10 people here to help. We caught each mini. They had injections for west niles and EWT and rhinoflu. The stallions were gelded.

Their ages were mainly under 10 years old.

Their teeth were horrible.

Their feet were: not bad to horrible, with laminitis on one.

Three are blind in one eye and the baby may have lens issues. One of the three is partially blind in the second eye.

They have fungus and thrush. Their body scores were: mainly a 2 with the little white stallion/now gelding being a 3. One of the mousey ones was a 1 1/2.

They were all pretty pushy which is a blessing that they are getting their energy up.

I have been given the o.k. to start slowly increasing their feed and adding beat pulp.

We brushed all of them.

I am sorry if my sentences are short - tired I guess.

I know the vet is giving a huge discount and she has raised donations herself.

The farrier - Matt did all the feet for free. He would not let me pay him.

The help has been phenomenal and I greatly appreciate each person.

Mike from Miniature Horse Club has been out several times, bringing cattle pannels and gates to confine them. I couldn't have lasted without his help.

Denise has been out every night helping and her husband came by and helped today.

Janet brought food and was amazing.

Thanks to everyone

Viva La Miniature Horses!

Pray for us

Sharon
At the risk of repeating myself...........Sharon is an Angel!!! In addition to the ones she got, she's caring for my 2 until I can get them moved across state lines.

Sheila when we were getting them we were merely loading the ones Vern was willing to let go. Fat or thin, sex or age, didn't matter (obviously when we had a choice we were taking the worst ones). What mattered was getting them out. I assume that's how things were for Windingroad too and that's how she ended up bringing a fat one home.

Last edited by a moderator:
My niece in Kansas took 3 stallions this weekend all in their teens. Two are blind in one eye; the other she said was a bay that hadn't been handled much. Maybe she'll get on and list her own update but thought I'd just mention it so all would know.

Lisa, I thought he should only be left with geldings too. NOTHING he can breed. I know he has a lot invested in these horses. But, he needs to understand that as he gets older, he will be able to do less. If his horses are having babies then he will get himself right back in the same situation. I am not saying this to be mean to Mr. T. It is the truth. He needs to think about his own mortality. Our first mare was out of a heard that after being bred from age 2 and not being treated with the most gentleness (if you know what I mean) The old man died and his son was left with about 60 horses to get rid of. When someone who loved this person is left with this kind of job, horses are left unfed, untrimmed and their basic needs are not met. Mr. T needs to really think about what kind of task he will be leaving to someone. He needs to only have geldings and only about 15 or so. That way as he ages he will be able to care for them as the deserve and when the time comes, someone is not left with the task of dispersing the herd of 50 or so horses. Also, this way he would know these horses are going to forever homes and will be loved. Instead of maybe to auction after he himself is gone.

MR Trembly, If you are reading this I do not mean any disrespect. I am hoping that the horses are taken care of. I did cry when I saw the news report and you talking about the years you have in the horses and the helplessness you were feeling as they were being taken away. I felt so much pain for you as I remembered having to sell my standardbred mare. Also, when I was a kid and we had to sell my first horse. They prommissed they would not pick her up until after I got home from school. This horse that I had my hart and sole invested in was gone when I got home. I know the pain you are feeling with each horse that leaves. But, you have to think about the big picture and what is going to happen 5-10 years down the road.

I was asked to "fix" my first post as my niece says that only one is blind and that's because his is gone completely.

For those that are interested I was told Mr T., or someone for him, is monitoring this board.

I think it is fine, or even good that Mr. T is monitoring this forum or has someone monitoring it for him. That will help him see that no one is trying to take advantage of him. That people are only doing this for the welfare of theses horses. Back when he started, minis were rare and expensive no matter what condition they were in. Now we can get well cared for nice minis for a pretty low prices. His herd is worth nowhere near what it was many years ago. Back then he may have been able to make a living from breeding minis. Today that is not really possible. He needs to realize that it will cost way more to care for them than he would ever make on sales. By reading this forum he will see that no one is going to profit from any of his minis. With him being a business man he should realize it is time to cut his losses and let them go because they are obviously dragging him down financially and physically. They are no longer an asset and have probably not been for a few years now. If he truly loves them and wants to have 1 or 2 as pets he should have them close to where he lives so can care for them easier. As we get older it is hard for us to admit to ourselves that we can no longer do the things we could when we were younger. Things have changed a lot over the years. Many years ago a lot people just looked the other way if they saw an animal that was mistreated or neglected. That is not the case anymore. many laws have been passed to protect animals. These people are found no matter how isolated they are. This is the way of the future.

Shelia

:lol: I love how everyone is stepping in and helping. WOW, when we really try we can help out!

I have no hard feeling to Mr. T... I always say sometimes we get over are heads. (me included but it was mostly over homework I didn't do) I don't think Mr. t needs all his horses taken away. A few would be really cool. I heard on another thread/topic that he is only getting rid of his boys. And is going to breed his mares to one he's going to buy. I don't think he needs to breed anymore. Because it might end up were he's at now.

Thanks everyone that is doing such a great job.

I would just like to say that I was not aware of the things that were being said on other forums on the Internet. I decided today to seek out one of the forums to make sure I hadn't said something that someone might take the wrong way. Of course a couple of my posts may have sounded a bit insensitive, but I assure you I have never said or even thought anything bad about CMHR or any other rescue group. I try to reserve any comments because I don't know the whole story and only ask questions because I don't know the answers. So please don't think bad of me if I ask something wrong. This may also hold true for some of the other members on here as well. I am very concerned about these minis! I think all of you are doing a wonderful job. I read today that Mr. Trembly has been telling people that only his best are being taken! I had no idea that he was saying these things! I was shocked about what I read today! i did see that some people were trying to defend us. I am sorry to say that I believe this happens in all major rescues. Remember Katrina and how so many people just picked apart all the efforts that were made there. It's a tough road and i am glad that CMHR is strong enough to hang in there no matter what! GOOD JOB!!

Shelia

I have made an attempt to get answers for the questions looming--as of yet, to no avail. I'll keep trying.

I am housing a 1999 black stallion and roan gelding, in addition to the buckskin geldings, and a palomino gelding I am fostering. Just wanted to let ya'll know there are no outward problems and all have settled in. I'm calling the roan Sparky--for obvious reasons!

The new ones were not even the best of the worst. The palomino and black need some weight, especially the black. The roan is "sparky"--he had easily made his way to the feed bunk. He does not at all look like a rescue horse.

Although these guys weren't in trouble, they are getting quality feed and hay, lots of scratches and pets and already are on their way to new, better lives.

I'm not done yet.

Good job!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I have made an attempt to get answers for the questions looming--as of yet, to no avail. I'll keep trying.

I am housing a 1999 black stallion and roan gelding, in addition to the buckskin geldings, and a palomino gelding I am fostering. Just wanted to let ya'll know there are no outward problems and all have settled in. I'm calling the roan Sparky--for obvious reasons!

The new ones were not even the best of the worst. The palomino and black need some weight, especially the black. The roan is "sparky"--he had easily made his way to the feed bunk. He does not at all look like a rescue horse.

Although these guys weren't in trouble, they are getting quality feed and hay, lots of scratches and pets and already are on their way to new, better lives.

I'm not done yet.

Latest posts

Back