facts and thoughts on Kansas minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windingroad

Reaction score
I know there are so many people concerned and curious about what is happening and what will happen to the herd that has become known as the "Kansas minis." I have way more questions than answers. But I do know that no matter where you stand on this issue, you want to know what is going on and you deserve to know.

I arrived at Trembly's Tiny Trails late morning with two big bales of premium horse forage and an empty trailer. I was accompanied by two new volunteers and two kids. SWER was on site and we were later joined by Deputy Gray. I didn't have much of an opportunity to visit with anybody, so didn't pose any questions I wish I could have.

About four hours later, we left with two stallions and two geldings. One gelding is FAT. The other is okay. The stallions I was able to buy were black and Paint (or is that pinto in miniature horse world?) The spotted one has already been picked up and is making his way to the Kansas City area. He does not appear to be in ill health. The black one is thin and blind in one eye. I was able to get papers on the two stallions. Another volunteer put up temporary digs while I was on the road. All have shelter, water and piles of prairie hay.

These are unbelievably difficult negotiations. We don't hold many cards at this point. I had hoped for more with less, but I did the best I could.

Kristin

Kristan, I am glad to hear that you were able to take a few minis with you. Is Mr Trembly being very persistant about not letting any more go? Did you get these today? Do you know if SWER was able to take anymore? Thanks for your report and yes there are a lot of us that continue to wonder about that little herd of minis. Mary

I know there are so many people concerned and curious about what is happening and what will happen to the herd that has become known as the "Kansas minis." I have way more questions than answers. But I do know that no matter where you stand on this issue, you want to know what is going on and you deserve to know.

I arrived at Trembly's Tiny Trails late morning with two big bales of premium horse forage and an empty trailer. I was accompanied by two new volunteers and two kids. SWER was on site and we were later joined by Deputy Gray. I didn't have much of an opportunity to visit with anybody, so didn't pose any questions I wish I could have.

About four hours later, we left with two stallions and two geldings. One gelding is FAT. The other is okay. The stallions I was able to buy were black and Paint (or is that pinto in miniature horse world?) The spotted one has already been picked up and is making his way to the Kansas City area. He does not appear to be in ill health. The black one is thin and blind in one eye. I was able to get papers on the two stallions. Another volunteer put up temporary digs while I was on the road. All have shelter, water and piles of prairie hay.

These are unbelievably difficult negotiations. We don't hold many cards at this point. I had hoped for more with less, but I did the best I could.

Kristin

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad to hear you are still going there and bringing feed and such and trying.

I know this is speculation of course but do you feel these blindness issues are from injurys or genetic ?

Just seems like alot of blind horses for one herd.

Mr. Trembly is still cooperative, but not in the way we would hope. Yes, this happened today. No, SWER did not take anymore. Victor is recovering from back surgery and this was his first personal visit, complete with back brace. It was surely a long trip for him.

I also got the registration for "Pea Eye"--a young man of 21.

Thank you so much for the update! You are wonderful! I take it you were able to do some trading for the hay? What day were you there? I am so glad to hear that the minis have shelters! It will really help as winter sets in. Please keep us updated on how the ones you brought home are doing. Could you tell about how many are left there at this time?

Shelia

I am glad to hear you are still going there and bringing feed and such and trying.

I know this is speculation of course but do you feel these blindness issues are from injurys or genetic ?

Just seems like alot of blind horses for one herd.
This si PURE speculation--but I would guess injury. I do see your point and I am not a breeder, so my opinion is not really even an educated guess. The reason I think injury could be the culprit is because I saw pointed pieces of forage within the big bales and from the ground. It seems like a genuine hazard. The wonderful folks from the Kansas Mini Horse club would probably have qualified feedback for this question. Pea Eye was definitely injured! The black stallion has a blue cloudy spot on one eye and does not seem to have any vision.

Thank you so much for the update! You are wonderful! I take it you were able to do some trading for the hay? What day were you there? I am so glad to hear that the minis have shelters! It will really help as winter sets in. Please keep us updated on how the ones you brought home are doing. Could you tell about how many are left there at this time?

Shelia
There was no trading. I told Vern early on the feed donations were not contingent upon anything. There are many different opinions on this matter and I will be true to myself. I choose to feed the hungry horse. I was there today (Sunday). I have six here at present and all have the option of a roof. We had a big rain here a couple of days ago and I was curious how the three I had would react. They thought a little stall was just fine! The ones at Vern's have a good stand of trees. I coddle my horses more than that, but many people have said theirs will shun a barn and stand outside in the rain or snow. I did not take an accurate head count, but I would guess somewhere between 40 and 50. There are no more geldings I was told. There are at least seven stallions, five in one pen, and a blind one by himself--also a testy monorchid. That's the term I know for dogs with one testicle!! Vern calls him an "original."

Did you see anymore very thin ones?
Yes. Not critical, but quite thin, and I did everything I could to get them. Unless someone with authority steps in, there are only stallions for sale. I still feel defeated. He absolutely would not sell a mare of any age or condition. We can only hope the new feed and wormer will make enough of a difference. SWER is senig enough wormer to take care of the herd. I am not holding out much hope for individualized veterinary care--which would include dental care.

Thanks for the information Kristin. You will reap rewards ten fold for your kindness.

Did you perhaps see Danielle's Mystery Horse?

I'm so happy to hear the horses are getting shelters and plenty to eat.

I can just imagine Mr. T is just very tired and overwhelemed.

I'm glad to hear he has allowed help to intervene again.

Thanks for the information Kristin. You will reap rewards ten fold for your kindness.

Did you perhaps see Danielle's Mystery Horse?

I'm so happy to hear the horses are getting shelters and plenty to eat.

I can just imagine Mr. T is just very tired and overwhelemed.

I'm glad to hear he has allowed help to intervene again.
Hi, Marty. Just want to reap new homes!

Danielle's mystery horse was photographed in the special needs pen--whatever you want to call it. Ginny and I both remember it. On the first night the horses were surrendered ( I was there) there were six in there and they were all removed. Two light ones went to John and Judy and from there to another foster. The others went to KC. It is possible that the picture was taken by Ginny and that horse moved later. Do you know why it is known or assumed to be a stallion? It seems to be either a light buckskin or even a pale palomino Paint--hard to say for sure. that pen has goats in it now. Vern thinks it went out the first night, too. Wish I could be more help.

Thanks Kristin, we'll keep trying to locate the right one.

I'm not at all sure why the horse has been presumed a stallion; maybe Ginny knows.

I know you did your best.
default_wub.png
:

I'm sure Mr. T is just unbelievably worn out and probably needs some time.

Did you happen to notice a new stallion, that wasn't there previously?

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of how things are going.

I hope that, soon, this situation can be resolved and all can live more comfortably, with enough to eat and securely as well.

Liz

Thanks Kristin, we'll keep trying to locate the right one.

I'm not at all sure why the horse has been presumed a stallion; maybe Ginny knows.

I know you did your best.
default_wub.png
:

I'm sure Mr. T is just unbelievably worn out and probably needs some time.

Did you happen to notice a new stallion, that wasn't there previously?
I don't know. One stallion pen is now empty. Any idea of what color it might be?

Windingroad......I'm sooooo happy you were able to get a few more out. I was praying that the people who said they were going over the weekend were able to get there and save more, even if it is one at a time.

I must say that after talking to Vern, I'm not at all surprised that he won't let any of his mares go. I definitely got the impression that he was planning on keeping them. I would love to have Shadow. She seems such a sweet girl.

Jane I agree that it's terribly disappointing that we haven't been able to do more. But I've got to say that we have indeed made a difference to those who have been moved.

And......who knows what's going to happen on/after Nov 7th. Keeping my fingers crossed and saying lots of prayers for good things then!!!

Edited to add: Is this one of the little guys you moved?? He was in one of the small pens up by the road. I've been hoping someone would get him.

ksmin10Oct16.jpg

Or....did you get the little white (stallion?) who was in the big stud pen in the front corner?

Sorry about the questions, but after being there, there are some who still tug at my heart. I can't get them out of my mind!!!!

Windingroad......I'm sooooo happy you were able to get a few more out. I was praying that the people who said they were going over the weekend were able to get there and save more, even if it is one at a time.

I must say that after talking to Vern, I'm not at all surprised that he won't let any of his mares go. I definitely got the impression that he was planning on keeping them. I would love to have Shadow. She seems such a sweet girl.

Jane I agree that it's terribly disappointing that we haven't been able to do more. But I've got to say that we have indeed made a difference to those who have been moved.

And......who knows what's going to happen on/after Nov 7th. Keeping my fingers crossed and saying lots of prayers for good things then!!!

Edited to add: Is this one of the little guys you moved?? He was in one of the small pens up by the road. I've been hoping someone would get him.

ksmin10Oct16.jpg

Or....did you get the little white (stallion?) who was in the big stud pen in the front corner?

Sorry about the questions, but after being there, there are some who still tug at my heart. I can't get them out of my mind!!!!
Vern said that stallion in the pen might be sold to a girl who was interested in showing him--if she could handle him. He's pretty feisty. He only has one testicle dropped. Vern feels he is show quality and could be gelded and leave the retained testicle, as he feels to go in surgically after the other one is a very dangerous procedure.

There is a very light buckskin in the remaining stud pen, but I did not see any white ones.

OooooooK (sigh) Guess I can uncross my fingers now. Vern had told me this was a fiesty one.

Just an observation.....something that occurred to me on the drive home the other day. I noticed that Vern had only 3 foals there. Not a lot considering the number of mares. I expect the low number of babies has something to do with the overall condition of the mares??

Thanks again for the update on your trip and the quick response to my questions.

:aktion033: Again, great Kristin. I talked to Lisa who was there the first nite. She has the original eight removed from my trailer. The little cancer horse will have surgery nx week she said but she needs some of my feed I bought. I need to get 10 bags to her to help her out. She is in K.C. any chance I can drive your way and drop off and let her pick up at your place or something (Maybe I need a vacation in K.C.)Me thinks that is were mystery horse is. We need to solve this ... I will be getting Boo and Suzie Q back since John is doing better & I will be able to care for them now. I guess Suzie trotted yesterday YEAH! :aktion033:

OooooooK (sigh) Guess I can uncross my fingers now. Vern had told me this was a fiesty one.

Just an observation.....something that occurred to me on the drive home the other day. I noticed that Vern had only 3 foals there. Not a lot considering the number of mares. I expect the low number of babies has something to do with the overall condition of the mares??

Thanks again for the update on your trip and the quick response to my questions.
The quick response is due to stitting in front of the computer doing homework and waiting for the rain to lift a bit!

I would say that the brown stallion can still be bought.

I thought the same thing about the number of foals. It is possible that they weren't bred, too, and there is also a mortality factor one can't help but wonder about. There are pregnant mares in the herd. He told me some had been exposed to a jack.

:aktion033: Again, great Kristin. I talked to Lisa who was there the first nite. She has the original eight removed from my trailer. The little cancer horse will have surgery nx week she said but she needs some of my feed I bought. I need to get 10 bags to her to help her out. She is in K.C. any chance I can drive your way and drop off and let her pick up at your place or something (Maybe I need a vacation in K.C.)Me thinks that is were mystery horse is. We need to solve this ... I will be getting Boo and Suzie Q back since John is doing better & I will be able to care for them now. I guess Suzie trotted yesterday YEAH! :aktion033:
Anything is fine for me. I did have an idea, though. I could meet her in Ottawa and save Lisa some miles, and give her the feed that is here. If she needs more, Jack is coming back Friday evening. Whatever you want to do will be a-okay.

The quick response is due to stitting in front of the computer doing homework and waiting for the rain to lift a bit!

I would say that the brown stallion can still be bought.

I thought the same thing about the number of foals. It is possible that they weren't bred, too, and there is also a mortality factor one can't help but wonder about. There are pregnant mares in the herd. He told me some had been exposed to a jack.

Anything is fine for me. I did have an idea, though. I could meet her in Ottawa and save Lisa some miles, and give her the feed that is here. If she needs more, Jack is coming back Friday evening. Whatever you want to do will be a-okay.
I will call her and probably give her your number,o.k. and if Jack wants to p/u replacement that would be great too
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back