Eye poke???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilhorseladie

Reaction score
I am going to venture to guess that my little stallion Spotz poked his eye on a weed or something. It is very goopy and very wattery, with that bluiish glaze over the eye. I talked to the vet, he wouldn't give me an ointment because it is hard to get them in with such strong eye lids. Instead he gave me SMZ tablets and told me if it didn't improve by Monday to bring him in. I don't see an ulceration, but it is hard to get a good look. Has anyone else dealt with this and is there something I can do to make him more comfortable? He acts like it really bothers him.

Did you tell your vet about the "bluish glaze" to the eye? If so, then I'd slap that vet along side of his head!

IMO, when there's a possibility of an eyeball puncture or a scratch, I wouldn't sit and wait but get it treated ASAP!

You still have tomorrow (Friday) to get your boy checked out before those weekend charges kick in, I'd do it, incase you end up needing him over the weekend and get charged double! Besides, eye injuries aren't things to play with, IMO.

MA

DON'T WAIT! This has all the signs of a RED ALERT emergency! I don't want to panic you, but the longer you wait the greater the chance the horse can lose his eye.

The eye should be examined by a vet to see if there is still some foreign substance in it. Probably a stain applied to see if there is a corneal ulcer and how big and deep it is. Then a variety of meds are used for treatment.

Keep the horse out of the sun.

If Atropine is used to dialate the pupil then keep the horse out of the sun until the pupil contracts normally.

We have had to deal with more eye injuries than I like to think about. They have all had good outcome, BUT we got the vet out on an emergency call and we have a vet very good with eyes. In some cases the horses were under treatment for several weeks with 2 or more types of antibiotics in the eye and sometimes SMZ for systemic treatment.

Please let us know how your little one is doing.

Charlotte

An eye injury is considered a veterinary emergency and should be treated immmediately and not wait!

I'm not a vet, but I can tell you that here, any eye injury is started on atropine to dilate the pupil, triple antibiotic opthalmic ointment 4 X day, generally another opthalmic antibiotic too, banamine to reduce the pain and inflammation and occasionally SMZ's depending on the severity of the injury. All of these treatments are prescribed by my vet. He takes eye injury's very seriously! He'd much rather save the eye than have a blind horse!

I would have your horse seen ASAP by a vet as a corneal ulcer can actually 'melt' the eye in a very short period of time.

Everyone has pretty much said it. Eye injuries ARE emergencies. The thing that bothers me is the "bluish glaze".

I am wishing you the best of luck!

GET A DIFFERENT VET OUT! I know that with one of my colts who has scratched his eye twice now he had the wattery discharge and goopiness and blue hue to it. Our vet stained it and gave us a look at the scratch. She also gave us a steroid ointment for in his eye. IMO, you need to get a different opinion and need to do it ASAP before the eye gets infected!!!!

GET A DIFFERENT VET OUT! I know that with one of my colts who has scratched his eye twice now he had the wattery discharge and goopiness and blue hue to it. Our vet stained it and gave us a look at the scratch. She also gave us a steroid ointment for in his eye. IMO, you need to get a different opinion and need to do it ASAP before the eye gets infected!!!!

Piping in with the others and kudos to you for providing such a detailed picture of the eye, in order to save the eye, and hopefully vision, you do need to get your mini to a veterinarian tomorrow. The condition you describe is horribly painful for a horse.

Good luck with it!

Yep, happened to me. My mare Little Mans Blue Babys Rowdy poked her eye on something in the pasture. At first look it looked runny. The next day I could see a white spot on her eye and it looked like a hole. I called my vet immediately and got a triple anitbiotic ointment to put in her eye. I thought she was going to lose her eye it looked so bad. I kept putting the ointment in and she still has her site in that eye thanks to the medicine.

Everyone else has pretty much said it here but I would definatly get a vet that knows what they are doing and would not in their right mind tell you to wait. I have been lucky to not have any eye injuries at my place but my friend has had some with her minis and the vet always gives her some kind of cream to put in it (amongst other things) and luckily they have all healed fine. For him to say he would not give cream since their eyelids are so strong that you can't really get it in there, is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!! :new_2gunsfiring_v1: Did he miss vet school that day? Please, do not wait!! Keep us posted.

Ditto what everyone else has said! Anything eye related is an emergency. jennifer

I too do not want to alarm you, BUT you need to have this looked at and looked at VERY soon as my grandaughters mini poked his eye with something and he was attended to almost immediately by a vet, and my daughter and son in law treated it very faithfully as prescribed and the little fella still ended up loosing the eye or use of. Not saying that your little one is the same, but my grandaughters horse sounds quite similar to what you described. Please do get it checked by the vet again or a more sympathetic one.

GEEZ! I hope the horse is ok!! I cant believe a vet would just shrug off an eye!!! Sight is soo important!! Even with every other species... eye trauma = EMERGENCY!!! = vet getting his butt out to the farm!!

just a mini rant... im still in disbelief... Update us on your little fella and sending good thoughts your way!!!

I so agree with the others, this is a real emergency. One of our babies rip her eye

lid almost off, now this sounds different, but not. We took to her the Vet right away.

After he sewed the eye lid on, he check the eye ball, and sure enough she had scratched

it as well. He put her on atropine to dilate the pupil, triple antibiotic opthalmic ointment

4 X day, generally another opthalmic antibiotic too. We went in every weekend to have

him recheck her, then we went every two weeks, and then once a month. While there

for a recheck, another horse (big horse) was in. The horse had scratch his eye ball. He

was loosing the eye. It was melting out. They said it would melt out, till it dissolved itself.

It was so gross. The horse was in a lot pain. There was no hope for it.

Our baby continued the treatment and healed competely. So this is a true emergency. I

would get that horse back to a Vet and get treatment. The ointment, is easy to put in. I just

put a tiny bit on the corner of the eye, and as the baby blink it would spread across. I was able

to doctor her by myself.

Let us know what happens.

Best Wishes

Vicky

We had a mare poke the side of her eye...our vet did the dye test and gave us an ointment to put in her eye...she told us it was very important to put the oitment in for the eye to heal correctly, it was no problem to get the ointment into her eye and it healed beautifully. I agree with the others and get another vet out to do an exam ASAP

You must get ointment for the eye. sure it is hard to get in but it is what he needs. the bluish glaze sounds like an ulcer to me. If your vet won't give you any, I say get rid of him/her and find another. this is an emergency. when putting the ointment in the eye, if you only get it on the bottom lid, the blinking of the eye will obsorb enough of the ointment. I hate to say this, but I am very good at giving eye ointment as I have done it often. I had an arabian who for years, would get ulcers in her eye several times a year. It can become chronic. You must get the eye treated.

Thanks you guys. I did take him to a different vet and am now using ointment. I know better than to try the guy in town, but it isn't easy to get the twenty miles to my regular guy. I did tell both about the bluish tint. Spotz still isn't comfortable, but at least I don't feel helpless. Thanks for all your imput!

Today Spotz eye looks much clearer. It is still tearing but the blue tint and yellow gunk is gone. Maybe there was something in it that was washed out by the vet. In any case. We chopped weed stubble today to avoid this happening again. He seems happier, with a better appetite. I know he couldn't see out of that eye at all the other day because I moved fast toward it and he didn't blink. Today his vision seems better. Thank you for your support here and help.

Thats great news!!! Sounds like the ointment is working and maybe there was a little bit of something still left in his eye. So happy for you/him its looking and feeling so much better, I was wondering how he was doing, thanks for letting us know, you are a good mama! :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back