Eye color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorbait4sure

Reaction score
I have a friend who owns a stallion who has RED eyes! Chestnut red. It is very pretty, as his eyes match his coat, and very unusual. I have never seen it before. Does anyone know how this would happen and if it is related to dilute genetics?

I'm going now to check on the colors of his sire and dam to see what they are and will post that too....

dru

I have never, ever seen a horse with red eyes--not chestnut red anyway--and have only heard of one that was described as having red eyes. That one turned out to have a serious eye ailment. I don't know, though, what shade of red those eyes were?

I'd love to see, too.

What is the horse's background? Could he carry silver? Dun?

I'll ask if they can take a pic of his eyes, but everyone is packing up for Regionals so it couldn't be until afterward.

They REALLY match his coat color!

His sire is a solid sorrel, and his dam is dapple gray. He himself is producing both palominos and palomino pintos. And he is a solid!

Is he producing those palominos out of cream dilute mares? Or is he a very dark palomino mistaken for sorrel? Cream will not "hide" on a red horse.

And the dapple grey dam -- is that true grey, or silver dapple?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he producing those palominos out of cream dilute mares? Or is he a very dark palomino mistaken for sorrel? Cream will not "hide" on a red horse.

And the dapple grey dam -- is that true grey, or silver dapple?

Jill, His closest relative that is a palomino is his paternal great grandsire, No others.

His dam is a dapply Gray as is HER dam. The dam's sire is soild Chestnut.I cannot look up the foals breeding as they are from R mares....

We may never know......

I'm unclear where you think the cream gene is coming from in his offspring. Cream doesn't hide except on black or silver dapple (and sometimes a buckskin may look bay). Sorrel will not hide cream and one will not throw cream. It's just not possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im eager to see what this is.
default_saludando.gif

Champagne is a color modifier that also changes eye color. The foals are typically born with blue or blueish eyes, they they turn to green or even amber. It results in a very unique eye color. Maybe he carries champagne?

Latest posts

Back